PDA

View Full Version : I have some technical questions concerning jon funk's

diego
03-16-2002, 02:31 PM
article on the bungbo twoman set in the may/june&july/august issue's of kfqg.
Any student's of Mr.Funk on board, or any lineage that has this particular article or know's the set, should'nt be to difficult as the text say's bungbo is within most styles of mantis if not all.
Thank's

Tainan Mantis
03-16-2002, 06:16 PM
I know the 2 man set as do several others on this board.
The way we learn in Taiwan this 7* set is similar to the HK version.

I would like to know more about this article.

Was there a question you wanted to ask about the set?

puma
03-18-2002, 08:21 PM
diego,the article you're talking about is not a beng bu 2 man set...
it's a cha chuey [piercing fist] 2 man set
tainan mantis, i may have to take you up on that offer one day ....
considering you are one of the few respected authorities on mantis kung fu on this forum

diego
03-19-2002, 01:28 AM
I have Jon Funk's Video's, stickyhands&sparring, and the ironpalm&lohan video.
It seem's thier is Element's of mantis in some of my drill's, Would you Two be so kind to answer some question's on certian section's of footwork, and the application's from that poster?.:)
For instance. In my style we have what's called The Mantis Stance, Where all your wieght is on your left leg, Right hand is the lead, and your right foot heel touches ground, toe's lifted.
Now in this article Mr.Funk strikes inline with his centerline, but in my style all the technique's i have seen strike from the centralline, so your centerline faces the attackinging limb and for instance your right hand would deflect inside attacker's left punch; then your centralline, your left shoulder faces your opponents center, so your left hand would strike, downward claw to grion/or uppercut or claw to face, etc things like that.
So in my method i only know this heel-adduction"mantis"stance facing side-on; I'm hoping you can help me understand how he is striking centerline-facing in the article.

:cool:

Tainan Mantis
03-20-2002, 08:42 AM
I have the same Jon Funk video's you have.
On the sparring video I was dissapointed to see that he doesn't teach the way WHF explained in his method. This includes 5 types of techniques that are trademarks of 7* PM.

I was highly disapointed to see the Lohan video was missing over half the form. I felt this was misleading as i didn't see where he mentioned there is more to the form than included on the video.

In his defense, his students who have come to study with me did learn the traditional 2 man forms.

Poster? What poster are you talking about.

Diego,
What style are you learning?

Mantis stance is tang lang bu in Chinese. This must have been created in America as there is no such term in any Chinese style of PM. Mantis is a hand technique or method not a stance.

The stance you described sounds like 7* stance-chi hsing bu.
Also called go dz bu-hook stance.

As for the strikes I'm afraid I can not understand your question or all the terminology.

Different PM schools have different types of punches. The method I have seen from WHF lineage either thru America, Canada or HK is all the same. Other methods of power generation exist in other PM styles that look quite different.

So this is a difficult question to answer especially without an example that we can see.

Here are six examples of power generation:

-Twisting to a straight line. After turning the hips the punch and back shoulder are in a straight line.

-Twisting to a right angle. After turning the hips the punching arm and shoulder are at 90 degree.

-wave. Two types. Can end in either of the above finished postures. No twist to the hips, instead a wave travels through the body.

-forward drop. The body weight drops down. Is done in a way so that all the dropping body weight is on the punch. In practice the front foot makes a stomp to the ground.

-backward drop. The weight drops onto the back foot putting all the dropping energy onto the punch as it moves up. Back foot makes a stomping sound.

The two drops are common in mimen PM. They are for punching in the one inch range.

What is the centerline question?

diego
03-20-2002, 01:56 PM
Mr.Funk show's extra exercise, i think 4 or 5 for the lohan, i'll try to find it.
I study a hybrid of Kajukenbo/HopGar, I'm very basic:D
But the guy who taught this is long dead and his students are very uptight, so it is hard to get clear info.
It seem's the teacher of my method"Alexander"kaido"polintain, may have picked up some ?mantis, from a W.C.Wong in sanfrancisco"not the hunggar master y.c.wong"
But it is hard to find any info on this, That centerline and the hand thing i wrote about, i will rewrite in a hour orso, all the technique's in my set's and drill's that possibly came from
I don't know what mantis style?.

But if i'm right and thier is mantis in my form, i could verywell take the drive downtown, to Mr.Funk's school, as it's only a Hour drive from me.:cool:

Back inna Few!.