PDA

View Full Version : so how do you put up an Avatar?

Phenix_Eye
03-17-2002, 08:46 AM
It doesn't work when I do it.

Matrix
03-17-2002, 11:25 AM
User Control Panel.
Edit Options.
Change Avatar. (at the bottom of the list)
Use Custom Avatar? Click YES.
Make sure that the "Use Avatar" is not set to "NO"
Indicate URL or location on your computer for avatar file.
Submit Modifications

...and that's it.

Matrix

P.S. you may also have to set "Show user's avatar in their posts?" in Edit Options to YES.

kj
03-17-2002, 12:36 PM
I think the instructions Matrix provided are correct. However the Avatar installation function appears to be out of order at present.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Roy D. Anthony
03-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Want to ask you if Sifu Kenneth Cheung coming this year to Rochester. If so when?..also are there any videos on this lineage?
Greatly apreciated.

kj
03-21-2002, 05:41 AM
Ken supports several groups remotely, ours among them. Since his short visits are effectively the core of our "classtime" with him, they are necessarily private training sessions for group members rather than public seminars. I'll be glad to let you know if there is ever a public seminar or open workshop session scheduled in these regions.

The May Wing Chun Camp is an open and annual event with Ken and also Ben Der. Wing Chun practitioners from all families are welcomed. We are often graced by the company of other Leung Sheung students as well; if all goes according to plan, Dr. Jack Ling and Siu Wong will be with us again this year. If your circumstances permit, I highly recommend the camp. The event is not only enriching, but also a lot of fun. :) The location is simply breathtaking; the preserve area is perfectly situated for nature walks, or strides on the beach. The South view overlooks the Golden Gate Bridge and the San Francisco city lights, and the ocean sunset and lapping of waves in the West. Information on the camp is posted in the events section of kungfumagazine, and at http://www.bawcsa.org

If you are unable to travel to the West coast for the camp or to visit Ken's class directly, another consideration to get the flavor of Leung Sheung Wing Chun might be to arrange a visit with Dr. Jack Ling (in the Albany area), or Carl Dechiarra of Ohio. Jack has deep knowledge of Wing Chun, in addition to being a fascinating and charming person. Carl is one of Ken's students who has developed a high degree of capability, especially evident in his sensitivity, control, and power.

I have heard that tapes of private events are floating around among the active trading circles, but there are no authorized or commercial videos available of Ken. I think there is a segment of Ken doing Chum Kiu on one of the Lily Lau tapes available through Wing Lam (the 2nd of a two tape series from the 1997? event). I have not yet seen it myself, but based on what others have said, I doubt Ken's demonstration would make it worth the price. His portion is a very short segment, was done with "demo" rather than teaching/training in mind, and I am certain it would not give you the flavor of his Wing Chun, which is better appreciated when felt than seen on tape. The Lily Lau video also contains demonstrations from other well-known Wing Chun exponents, as well as some other martial arts, so maybe on whole it's worth the cost.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Alpha Dog
03-21-2002, 06:34 AM
Putting Up Avator, formerly known (in classical times) as "Golden Monkey Hands Lotus Flower to Smiling Buddha," is one of the many hidden secrets of Wing Chun, reserved for only the chosen few!

It was commonly done in Fatsan but Yip Man, gripped by racist motivations, removed it once he got to Hong Kong, lest those Brits learn of this treasured knowledge and colonize it too.

kj
03-21-2002, 01:10 PM
Roy, I have just learned that there may be an open session this very weekend in Cleveland, on Saturday morning. Your email appears to be turned off in your profile. I realize it is short notice, and I am a short-timer before traveling myself. If you email me quickly enough (see my profile), I'll do my best to provide you with further information before I leave.