PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex

ewallace
03-18-2002, 08:14 AM
Anyone had any experience with this machine (Power Pro in particular)?

Leonidas
03-18-2002, 10:34 AM
Excellent machine actually. I have the XTL. With the Lat bar and the leg extension. I wanted the squat attachment too........better days. I admit that i haven't been training like im supposed to but its really versatile and an alternative to dozens of weights. Its alot safer than freeweights (you dont need a spotter) and easier to change the weight that you want to use. I'd suggest it to anyone. Are you planning on buying one?

Ford Prefect
03-18-2002, 10:51 AM
If it's a space issue that makes you want one, then something is better than nothing. However, if you have the space, an olympic barbell set would do you better.

ewallace
03-18-2002, 10:57 AM
I'm seriously thinking about it. The not needing a spotter thing is really important. That is one reason I like machines. Most of my friends are pus*ies and don't like to lift weights.

I am definitely going to buy home-equipment since my workouts already take an hour and a half, and that is just for getting back into shape. That's borderline too long to be gone from my family in the evenings.

Ford Prefect
03-18-2002, 11:03 AM
You don't need a spotter for deadlifts and overhead presses... You shouldn't need a spotter to bench if you're smart and don't max out. A machine should always be your last option.

ewallace
03-18-2002, 11:13 AM
I prefer free weights over machines, but that's all my fitness center has aside from a few dumbells (which I use). I don't have space in my apartment for them. We are supposed to move into a house within the next year and I am going to use half the garage for all my training equipment. I am trying to get some ideas to save space and money.

BTW Ford, have you ever used Bowflex?

Silumkid
03-18-2002, 11:18 AM
I wish I knew someone with this contraption....I'd love to try just to see how it is for myself. I've given some thought to how I percieve the design of the thing and I'm imagining some pros and cons. But again, without having one around to try, I can't verify any of these.

Pro: Cables, when used properly, can provide a steady tension.

Con: Those cables, being attached to "Power Rods", appear that they would be less tense at the bottom part of the movement than at the top where the rod is more flexed. Individual strength curves may not "agree" with this.

Pro: Seems pretty versatile.

Con: So are free weights and they are far cheaper.

Pro: As mentioned earlier, you don't need a spotter.

Con: Let's say you are working to failure sets w/o spotter...you start to die out halfway through the rep and you absolutely cannot finish (positive failure)...if you release those handles, can't the Power Rods snap against each other? Can this damage the machine? With dumbbells, you can just drop them off to the side without much worries.

Pro: Says it works stabilizer muscles.

Con: Does it? I have not really found this to be the case with certain cable moves. Dumbbells pretty much always do.

Opinions?

Ford Prefect
03-18-2002, 11:25 AM
I used one at a college gym and didn't like it much. I see where saving space is concerned. When I lived in a small appartment, I lived off bodyweight and odd object stuff. Once I got the house though, the olympic weight set took precendence. If you have the space for the bowflex in the garage, then you have space for some oly weights and a bench. If you're sold on the bowflex, before you get it, I'd recommend visiting some more strength and conditioning forums and e-mailing a lot of strength guru's to ask them what they'd prefer. Guarantee 100% of them say the oly set.

There are a lot of conditioning gizmo's out there. Truth be told that you don't need much beyond a bar w/ weight plates, your body, and maybe a pull-up bar to build an exceptional level of strength.

ewallace
03-18-2002, 12:36 PM
Nope, not set on anything. I like the all-in-one aspects of the bowflex, but for $1000 I could get a hell of a lot of stuff too. I am thinking about a good weight bench with leg extension and lat pulldown, olympic barbell, about 300lbs of plates and 25 thru 60lb dumbells in increments of 5lbs.

kungfu cowboy
03-18-2002, 01:15 PM
If spotting is a big concern, and you want to go with freeweights, consider apower rack (http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/powerracks&gyms.html). They are a little pricey, but you can do a lot with them. All without a spotter.

Qi dup
03-18-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
There are a lot of conditioning gizmo's out there. Truth be told that you don't need much beyond a bar w/ weight plates, your body, and maybe a pull-up bar to build an exceptional level of strength.

Yep.

Kempo Guy
03-18-2002, 10:09 PM
I own a Bowflex as well. It's quite a good machine but pretty expensive. I was lucky to find one "second hand" (it was unopened) for about half price.

If I were you, I'd buy a pull up bar, and also start lifting kettlebells (KB). I have pretty much replaced my weight and cardio training with the KB's (along with pull ups, hindu squats and 'janda' sit ups). It is way cheaper, and you'll get more functional strength for martial arts, plus my workouts are generally only 20 - 40 minutes now. You can get more info on the KB's at dragondoor.com.

As I mentioned in another thread, I really recommend them. Even if it's to supplement your weight training.

Just my $0.02
KG

ewallace
03-19-2002, 12:15 PM
Can anyone recommend a good bench and or website? I would like the bench to include leg extension, lat pulldown and preacher curl attachments. I would also like it to be able to lay flat, inclined and declined, and military press. There are so many daamn products out there I don't know which ones to stay away from.

Oh yeah, squat capability would be nice too.

Kempo Guy
03-19-2002, 01:18 PM
ewallace,
I still would urge you to take a look at dragondoor.com and their forum. They focus only on lifting etc.

KG