PDA

View Full Version : How many sections does your SLT have?

IronFist
03-18-2002, 07:42 PM
Alright, I know everyone says that SLT has 3 parts, but hold that thought for a second. For the rest of this thread, assume that each "section" ends when you return both hands to their c.ocked position after performing the same thing on each side.

See, I'm seeing different versions of SLT, and some seem to leave out entire "sections" and I want to know why.

So, for example, the version I learned (from the WSL tape, which I've heard is different from how he really does it, but still) goes like this (pardon my short and non-technical descriptions):

Spread your feet, do the arm crossing thing, anything else your style has in the intro. Then bring your fists back. That's section 1.

Section 2: is the slow tan saos, huen saos, wu saos, fok saos, etc. the slow part.

Section 3: The two downward blocks, behind your back, in front, the double tan saos, all the way until the double wrist strikes upwards. Return fists to side.

Section 4: The pak sao across the chest, the strike. Return fists to side.

Section 5: The tan sao, jum sao, tan sao, strike, return fists to side.

Section 6: Tan sao, downward block (forgot the name), tan sao, strike, return to side.

Section 7: Bong sao, tan sao, strike, return fist to side.

Section 8: Downward finger strike thing (no clue what it's called), striking the opposite hand over the arm (3 or 4 times, depending on lineage), then the centerline punches (3 or 4, depending on lineage). Fists to side.

End.

Ok. That's pretty much how WSL does it on the tape. I'm sure parts of my description blew, and I'm sure he changed the form for the tape, but I don't care about that. I don't even care about how many times each lineage punches at the end. I want to know why two lineages I've seen, both at this one online site (http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/empty.asp ) and on Augustine Fong's SLT tape, they both leave out Section 5. In other words, after the slow tan saos in the beginning, the only other tan sao is before the downward block and after the bong sao. It's like they left out an entire part of the form.

Or did WSL add that part just to confuse me?

Which way do you do it?

Maybe I should watch my Yip Chun clip again and see how he does it, cuz he probably knows what he's doing.

Edit - I just watched it and he does it the same way as Fong... no section 5. Maybe WSL just made the video like that so when he saw people do SLT that way he could go "he learned it from VIDEO!" I dunno :)

IronFist

IronFist
03-18-2002, 08:08 PM
As an aside, where are the boundaries for the traditional "3 parts" in SLT? I guess the first part is the slow part. Where does the second part end?

IronFist

anerlich
03-18-2002, 09:42 PM
In TWC we have two versions of SLT.

The first version is similar to yours/WSL's, but without your section 5.

The second has you section 5, but we do it AFTER your section 6 rather than before. There are other differences too, mainly it includes larger huen saos and some stepping.

I've never seen the 3 sectional thing, but I'd imagine:

first part ends after the slow bit

second part after the fut saos and double tarn saos ("upward" wrist blocks)

and the rest is the third part.

yuanfen
03-18-2002, 10:35 PM
For me 3 parts besides the opening and closing. But there are different ways of counting and there are some differences in counting. And there are some small differences between lineages
on details and the reasons for them.Different texts trying to capture the same truths.:D

hunt1
03-19-2002, 06:04 AM
When Yip Man firt taught SLT it had section 5 but not section 6.After WSL had a problem with a low attack Yip Man showed him gan sao and changed section 5 to section 6.Most of Yip's students do the form with section 6 not 5 some do 5 some do both.Almost all of Yips mid and late students (1955 to his death)do the form without section 5.

reneritchie
03-19-2002, 07:20 AM
Hunter explained it well. Also, in Foshan, section 3 is two separate sections which Yip Man combined to flow more to his liking.

FWIW- The Cho's have *many* more sections in their Siu Lien Tao, as it continues on without interuption through something similar to Chum Kiu, Biu Jee, and a fourth part as well.

Rgds,

RR

red5angel
03-19-2002, 07:46 AM
When I started I trained in no less then 3 different lineages! More do to the fact that I traveled. Now I am back to an instructor who learned from the same guy my first instr. learned from, but is teaching a different lineage now, have I lost you yet?! Anyway, over that time I learned 3 different ways of doing SLT, all the differences were subtle, and each had 3 sections. thats why I think it is funny sometimes this arguing over lineages. I like the Leung Sheung Lineage I am in now, but it really isnt much different from the Agustine Fong stuff I got a taste of thanks to Yuanfen. The largest disperation was in Pan Nam, and it was still very similar to the rest, especially the basics.

churn-ging
03-19-2002, 11:11 AM
In my lineage, we do section 5 and section 6 together without breaking the flow. It goes like this,

tan sao, jum sao, tan sao, gaun sao, tan sao, palm strike.

IronFist
03-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Hey everyone, I totally get it now! Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply :)

I guess I'll keep doing it the way WSL does it on the tape. I wanted to make sure that it was a legit version, though, before I got too into it.

Thanks again,

IronFist

kungfu cowboy
03-19-2002, 02:33 PM
IronFist, are you talking about the science of infighting video? Now that is entertainment! Its a crazy-70's-disco technicolor-kung fu fighting-freakfest! I love it! I think its a good premise for a new tv sitcom!:p Watch it under the influence.

Noteworty is the funny tall guy's exaggerated and badly acted hit taking, and the cool nonplussed yet harried demeanor of the other guy. The two doing chi sao? Amazing.

IronFist
03-19-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by kungfu cowboy
IronFist, are you talking about the science of infighting video? Now that is entertainment! Its a crazy-70's-disco technicolor-kung fu fighting-freakfest! I love it! I think its a good premise for a new tv sitcom!:p Watch it under the influence.

Noteworty is the funny tall guy's exaggerated and badly acted hit taking, and the cool nonplussed yet harried demeanor of the other guy. The two doing chi sao? Amazing.

Yep that's the one :) I love the sound effects! When someone demonstrates a punch you can hear *snap!* *snap!*.

It's awesome :)

IronFist

yuanfen
03-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Section 5: The tan sao, jum sao, tan sao, strike, return fists to side.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The jum sao is already there in several places...it is still there in Fong's slt and it is there in the jong and the biu jee. The principle is far from left out. ( I know the difference- I have seen WSL do the slt in person!)

Roy D. Anthony
03-20-2002, 10:25 PM
How many would you like there to be?

wtjoe
03-23-2002, 03:07 PM
I do it like this:

Open stance by bringing toes out(yap gerk shape+hidden take down)heels out(bong gerk)
1) double tan(X), gan, tan
2) punch
3) tan, huen, wu, (fook, huen, wu)x3 pak+strike
4) a kind of gum next to each leg, hands behind back, bring round to the front, double palm strike, left over right, double fak sau, right over left, double jum, double tan, double tok sau, double jut, double biu, bring hands down(kind of jut?), double ti sau
5) pak, lying palm
6) tan, jum, elbow out, gwat, tok, huen sau, lying palm
7) bong, tan, strike
8) gan, downward striking, breaking gripamajiggar x3, centerline chain punchx3