PDA

View Full Version : My Wing Chun Punch Is Powerful!...

HAZ
03-19-2002, 03:41 AM
Ive been training in wing chun for 3 ½ years and during this time, I have obtained a good level of skill from the art. However, despite this, I had always had doubts about the power that was behind my straight punches, should I ever find myself having to defend myself in the street. The theory behind a wing chun punch (speed, relaxation, correct body mechanics etc etc…) all made good sense to me, although I have never actually HIT no-one before, and therefore the doubts about my power have always been in the back of my mind.

That was until Saturday night………….

I hit somebody once and virtually knocked him out. He was a bigger lad than me, and I hit him only the once, but he ended up lying face down in the street, besides a big puddle of blood. My wrists and knuckles after the punch felt perfect.

Now Im not bragging about this, because I don’t go around getting into fights. I never have and never will……

But I now realise that boy, my wing chun straight punch IS powerful!!

anerlich
03-19-2002, 03:59 AM
Good job. Glad the system worked for you.

Just don't let it go to your head. Karma can be a *****.

stonecrusher69
03-19-2002, 09:49 AM
how did you develope your punch? do you do just air punching. Do you do any conditioning of the hand?

HAZ
03-19-2002, 10:06 AM
A LOT of straight punches in the air – being relaxed, making sure the punch is thrown from the elbow using NO shoulders

Regular use of the wall bag – toughens the knuckles and enables you to get a feel of the impact when hitting something hard.

Also, concentrating on a well-sunk stance……..Forms, drill, chi sao etc….

Sabu
03-20-2002, 12:20 AM
How does one achieve power?

TjD
03-20-2002, 12:28 AM
practice the wooden dummy! :)
its all in there

practice your biu ma

practice sinking your stance

refine your structure

im starting to think power generation in wing chun is something you understand and do, not something you can easily talk about

peace
travis

IronFist
03-20-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by HAZ
A LOT of straight punches in the air – being relaxed, making sure the punch is thrown from the elbow using NO shoulders

Alright, no offence, but anatomically speaking, it is impossible to punch using "no" shoulders. When the arm is raised (out like during a punch) the front deltoids WILL be engaged.

So, do you just mean like... no excess tension in the shoulders?

People always say "don't use your shoulders when you punch" and I don't get it:confused:

IronFist

kungfu cowboy
03-20-2002, 02:12 AM
I think the idea is to just engage enough of the shoulder musculature as necessary to extend and support the arm, with the real power coming from the relaxed use of the shoulder through the forward thrust of the elbow. So I think the saying should be "Don't use any more shoulder than necessary". But maybe it is just easier to learn using the idea of no shoulder involvement.

TjD
03-20-2002, 11:08 AM
it is possible to punch without using the shoulders

proper power generation from the waist can whip out a fist rather easily, with negligable energy from the shoulder

in fact all the shoulder would need to do if your generating power from your waist (or legs) is guide your fist to the targer

however you can get more power by using the shoulder to help out a little :)

its good to practice to get the arm to relax though

peace
trav

stonecrusher69
03-20-2002, 11:15 AM
what they mean about not using the shoulders is not that is not used when puching,but you should not lead your punch with your shoulder. if you lead the punch with the shoulder then if someone grabs your arm he can move your stance easily.

Martial Joe
03-20-2002, 03:55 PM
Now Im not bragging about this, because I don’t go around getting into fights. I never have and never will……

So you never got into a fight before huh...:D :p :rolleyes:

IronFist
03-20-2002, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

IronFist

diego
03-20-2002, 06:43 PM
but some tightass wouldnt reply:D

So what other art's use this minimal tension in shoulder, driven by the elbow theory?.
Is this only for the striaght punch and i'm making a bigger deal then it's worth, like when you do gumsao to the sides, in slt samething?, what about when wing chun does a horizontal elbow smash?.

Alpha Dog
03-20-2002, 07:26 PM
"No legs, no hands," sayeth Whippinghand.