PDA

View Full Version : Question about the "Hung family" of the 5 Shaolin families vs. Hung Gar

Killer Nerd
04-27-2001, 12:16 PM
From the lengthy post of FIREHAWK's posting of Sifu Wong Kiew Kit's perspectives on various questions, I am still confused about something. Firstly, I'm going to use Cantonese since it is what I am more familiar with. From my limited reading, I am familiar with the 5 families of Hung,Choy,Li,Mok and Lau. Is the "Hung" family of the original 5 families the father so to speak of "Hung Gar"?

WenJin
04-27-2001, 12:34 PM
From what I've understood (from visiting the sites on hunggaunited & hungkuen.net etc...) it seems that
Hung of 5 families - Hung Hei Gwoon
Hung Gar - Luk A Choy
but that is really unanswerable it seems as all the sites or articles dispute the issue with no common conclusion.

CPS
04-27-2001, 02:11 PM
Hi,

Hung Ga is of the five southern family styles indeed.
The Shaolin monk Gee Sim taught both Hung Hsi Kwan and Lok Ah Choi. This style was later named Hung Gar, most probably after Hung Hsi Kwan.
Hugn Hsi Kwan had however no real successor, who passed on the style.
Lok Ah Choi had a successor though, and this lineage developed into the common Hung Ga.

Hopes this solves the confusion.

Charris
Webmaster Hungga United
www.hungga.net (http://www.hungga.net)

WongFeHung
04-29-2001, 02:09 AM
Hung Ga was patriotically named Hung Family after Hung Mo Jue the first Emperor of the Ming Dynasty whose line was ended by the invading Chings. Hung Hei Guen's (Hung Tze Kuan)original surname was not Hung, he took the surname Hung as an act of loyalty to the Ming empire.

Turiyan
06-11-2001, 04:23 AM
Maybe someone can answer this question. What did the ming dynasty ever do for "clawed beasts"?

Is there some secret relationship between the people of Wu and Yuen that I havent learned of?

Turiyan gold, Brahmin caste, Ordos clan

The REAL taichi:
http://www.wfdesign.com/tc/
http://www.wustyle.com/108.html

Chinese military forum:
http://www.anyboard.net/plaboard/

WuMan
06-11-2001, 06:05 AM
Wasnt the Royal Family of the Ming Dyansty "Chu"?

bean curd
06-11-2001, 09:57 AM
i wouldn't say that hung kuen is the father of the ng chor. li gar alone has quite a few stories on its birth, one says it came from monk bak mei.

choi gar was near the end of the ching dynasty also and lau gar became popular at the end of the ching dynasty.

hung kuen is the more known, thus sometimes confussed as being the father, each family style has their history and flavour

Laine Nakachi
06-12-2001, 11:05 AM
From the lenghty post of fire hawk's posting of Sifu Wong Kiew Kit's perspectives on various questions,I am still confused about something.

Firstly,I'm going to use Cantonese since it is what I am more familiar with.

From my limited reading,I am familiar with
the 5 families of Hung,Choy,Li,Mok and Lau.Is the Hung family of the original 5 families the father so to speak of Hung Gar ?

Killer Nerd ,

Hung,Choy,Li,Mok and Lau are basically the 5 kung fu fighting systems of the Shaolin Temple.These 5 names were all names of the 5 monks,who had their own essential qualities of their own system.

Hung Gar was just a single kung fu system , but the people responsible for the development of the Hung Gar system.Included the Lau Gar Fist Set and the pole set into the Hung Gar system.

Other than that,the Choy,Li,Mok style has got nothing to do with the Hung Gar system.Now if I'm wrong you can correct me,on my topic post.

Take Care,

Fe luk

northstar
06-14-2001, 03:25 PM
Hung Hei Guen originally had another family name, but being a Ming patriot changed his name to Hung after the reign name of the first Ming emperor (Hongwu - Vast Military). Hung Ga was named after Hung Hei Guen.

Mok Ga is named either after the midget monk Mok Da Si, the boxer Mok Ching Gui or because it was first taught to the people of a village where everybody had the family name Mok. Mok, BTW, means "nothing".

Lau Ga was founded by the late 18th century boxer Lau Saam-ngaan (Three-eyed Lau). He claimed being taught shaolin boxing but after mastering it he devised his own style.

Choy Ga was founded by Choi Gau Yee.

Lei Ga was founded by Lei Gum Lun.

Colin
06-14-2001, 07:49 PM
You say "Lau Ga was founded by the late 18th century boxer Lau Saam-ngaan (Three-eyed Lau). He claimed being taught shaolin boxing but after mastering it he devised his own style."
Do you have an more information regarding this ie. where Lau Saam Ngaan lived , etc?