PDA

View Full Version : Serious competition opinions please!!!!!

red5angel
03-19-2002, 12:44 PM
Ok, I have started to buckle down in my training to compete. I have my training schedule planned out, and am keeping a training diary.
Now, for you guys who seriously compete year around, what do you eat? do you have a dietary schedule? how about sleep? Can you tell me if you have any tips and tricks for training?
I have come to find that not everything works for everyone, and I am not looking for a super "cure-all" to make me compete better, I can only get that through hard training. But what about eating, sleeping, etc....
If you have any resources for some help that would be great otherwise just let me know what you are doing that helps you!!!!

Johnny Hot Shot
03-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Are you training for a fight or just to perfect your Gung fu?

ewallace
03-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Now, for you guys who seriously compete year around, what do you eat?
- Children.

Just kidding. Try posting this in the Kung Fu Training and Health forum to avoid answers like mine above.

SanShou Guru
03-19-2002, 12:52 PM
Just read:

Optimum sports nutrition : your competitive edge
by Michael Colgan

if you can find a copy (out of print)
if not a new version is about to come out;

Sports Nutrition Pocket Guide : Your Daily Gym Bag Reference
by Michael Colgan

red5angel
03-19-2002, 12:54 PM
johnny - I am training to fight.

Thanks guys! you are probably right ewallace but I wanted to start here first! Besides, children can be too chewey.

Dark Knight
03-19-2002, 12:58 PM

ewallace
03-19-2002, 01:03 PM
Besides, children can be too chewey.
A little hot sauce can go a long way. I would probably eat glass shreds if they had hot sauce on them.

yenhoi
03-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Red5:

There are a couple threads on the Training forum regarding optimum diet, some guy went around posting about your daily fat-to-carb-to-protein ratio - good stuff.

I would say that if you train regularly then diet should always be of concern, and I wouldent imagine it changing much in anticipation of competition, unless it was something major that was off in the distance and perhaps you change your diet from 'maintenance' mode to 'gain weight' mode, or something.

Do you structure your diet normally? If not I would recomend you start (or continue even after this competition.)

yenhoi
03-19-2002, 01:43 PM
What kind of competiton is this? Is Grappling and groundfighting allowed?

If this is your first competition, then you should get with your teacher and (flame me) pick your techniques, yes I mean specific techniques, "high percentage" techniques and then drill them in every which way possible, drill combos, drill setups, and drill some worst case scenarios.

I would say a 'striking' competition would be easier to get ready for, as opposed to a all-range type format. There would be a greater variety of techniques to be drilled and fashioned into combos with the first type of comp, and more worst case scenarios and setups for the second.

Where are you going to compete aslo.

DragonzRage
03-19-2002, 01:47 PM
well i don't know what kind of fight you are doing or when you're fighting, but there are a few general things that you should definitely keep in mind for any fight. Most important is ENDURANCE ENDURANCE ENDURANCE!!! The one thing above all others that can bring you down is gassing out. Do plenty of running and other cardio stuff when training to fight. If you can, do a couple miles everyday, if not more. Make sure you get a good amount of sleep when it comes down to fight time. I usually start taking it very easy in my training a little less than a week before the fight. Diet wise, i always try to eat healthy in general, so i don't really change my diet at all. I usually try to drink a lot of water to keep my energy level up, unless i'm trying to cut weight. Couple days before the fight, i eat pretty light. I really don't know if there is a very specific method of diet that one should follow in preparation for a fight.

Psychologically, I think you just gotta convince yourself that you're going in for nothing less than a win. Don't let yourself fight half-a$$ed. Put it all out there, throw everything you got. I see some people go in with the mentality that they don't expect to win necessarily but they just want to have fun and get more experience. To me it seems that the moment you start preparing with that mentality is when you set yourself up to get your a$$ kicked. Train to win...train hard and have a take no prisoners mentality. JMHO

Other than all that, its strictly up to the quality of your training and how much dedication you've put in. Remember, a fight is not won on the actual day, but won during your preparation.

red5angel
03-19-2002, 01:51 PM
Yenhoi - good post! I am now tracking my diet, pretty good stuff really and I am pretty confident I know what I need to eat and how often etc.... I wanted to ask to see some different points of view.
As for the type of comps, well, First I wll start with Striking comps. Specifically I would like to get into CMA tourneys. From there, as my training progresses, I would like to get into open tourneys. I am not looking to get into 'reality fighting'. I want to do local tourneys.

Qi dup
03-19-2002, 01:54 PM
good post DragonzRage.

red5angel
03-19-2002, 01:56 PM
I am all about that DR, my only problem at the moment is I cannot run! I have had an issue with my foot that has caused me some problems lately. I need to find an alternative, any suggestions?

ewallace
03-19-2002, 02:01 PM
Don't know if it is possible for you Red5, but I use a Precor elliptical machine at the fitness center at our apartment complex. That thing burns 350 calories in 30 minutes on the weightloss course. It shoudn't hurt your foot too much. It is one of those cross-training machines.

red5angel
03-19-2002, 02:09 PM
ewallace, what does it look like? I have a membership to the local club and they have a ton of cardio machines.

ewallace
03-19-2002, 02:14 PM
http://www.precor.com/fr_hpr_efx.htm

Better to see it than to have me 'splain it.

ewallace
03-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Jeez I didn't know that the machine in our fitness center costs $5k. All the other stuff in there is crap.

yenhoi
03-19-2002, 02:39 PM
I have to sort-of disagree with DR, endurance is definitly important, and you do not want to run out of gas, but I wouldent suggest focusing on running and general cardio.

How long until the first competition?

What is the structure of the competition - 3 min rounds, what?

Then I would base your cardio on that - if the rounds are 3 minute long, then I would train your cardio in 4-5 minute spurts:

Run for 4-5 minutes, alternating between running, waling, and jogging. Then Jump rope for 4-5 minutes, then run up stairs for 4-5 minutes. Take small rests in between, as short as you need, and focus on reducing your resting time, and increasing the intensity of your 4-5minute spurts.

3 minute rounds:

Run/walk/jog 5 min
rest
Jump Rope 5 min
rest
Shadowbox 5 min
rest
Again

Endurance is good, but too much cardio is not-so-good.
You need to spar, and drill, and spar some more.
You should also devise some way to get accustomed to being hit, and being hit hard, if that means putting on a helmet and allowing someone to wail on you, or whatever. Have someone put on some gloves and throw shots at you, or jab you in the face while you keep your eyes open and head level.

What type of surface will you be fighting on, there is a huge difference between competition canvas, padding, carpet, and concrete.

Drill your footwork, jump rope.

yenhoi
03-19-2002, 02:43 PM
DO you have a training partner or partners?

red5angel
03-19-2002, 02:47 PM
ewallace - We have those, but good luck trying to get on them!!!

Yenhoi, I am working on getting a partner. I have class, and we train there, and one of my instructors says he will be more then happy to work with me.

ewallace
03-19-2002, 03:24 PM
ewallace - We have those, but good luck trying to get on them!!!
There's usually a time-limit and or sign-up sheet for those machines. Just sign in for one when you get to the club, do some weight training until one is open. If that doesn't work let one of the users know that you are bigger than they are and will mess them up if they don't move. When it comes to personal health one should always put their needs above anyone elses, even if that means a solid pounding is in order. :)

red5angel
03-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Ewallace - I can only hit the club at peak hours! too many suburban barbi dolls trying to keep thier girlish figure. Anywa, you have a good suggestion, although I may try finishing off a child or two while they are there, that may make them think something like "Jeeze if this guy keeps eating children like this he is going to get fat, I should let him take a turn!"

ewallace
03-19-2002, 03:44 PM
Are they hotties? If that's the case, pull up a chair behind them and enjoy the view. Eventually the constant staring will force at least one of the aforementioned barbi dolls to become unconfortable and leave the machine.

Tae Li
03-20-2002, 03:34 PM
ahrm ahrm, if i may intervene this very interesting quest...

i want to reemphasize ENDURANCE, cos if something is going to make you lose aprt from bad technique its going to be a bad fitness level, so what you really need to do is spar as much as possible for longer periods of time that the actual fight round.

I tend to wear bulky jackets AND my protectin gear when im training so that when im actually fihting on the day without all that sh!t on my back im much lighter therefore much faster.

ummm what else? yes, seriously before you fight stack up on your energy drinks that DO help!

keep an open mind at all times, and go in there with th intention to WIN!

plus, if you do win think of the personal rewards that you can get...all the gals will be gaga over the winner not the loser.

apart from that all the best and goodluck, you will do fine cos we will cheering for you as wel!!

Tae Li;)

Doesnt look like I will be going to fight i Korea this April at an international tournament cos i cant afford the feakin plane ticket.

bugger.:(

Ray Pina
03-20-2002, 03:46 PM
If you're not concerned about a certain weight class:

Eat whatever the hell you want when you're hungry. Sleep when you're tired or at least 7 hours before you have to get up for work/school AND fight every chance you get, against all different styles, sizes, colors, ect.

If you care about weight class:

Watch what you eat. Same with sleep. Fight every chance you get ...