PDA

View Full Version : What we need less of!

Serpent
03-19-2002, 05:48 PM
A lot of the threads on here that aren't directly MA related are often the most interesting and let us learn about each other as people and share personal aspects of our lives. I think it's a good thing and I think that the mods constantly moving threads that are basically people having a chat is bad. Sure, if it's directly related to something that another forum is designed for(training and health for example), then move it, but if it's just someone having a rant, or a few people sharing a joke, then what's wrong with that. Leave it in the main forum where there's more traffic and let us play!

I'll make this a poll, so we can have a democratic vote on it. Of course, no doubt someone in Florida will come along and hijack the vote and cause a chimp to gain control of the world, but hey, you gotta try!

So, have at it! Vote away and let's see what happens!

Mods, don't move this thread or I'll b!tchslap you! ;)

joedoe
03-19-2002, 06:06 PM
The other thing is that sometimes, like troll posts, it can lead to very interesting discussion that is very relevant to the forum.

OTOH, I can also understand why the mods move them.

Serpent
03-19-2002, 07:08 PM
That fence is going to give you a rash in your bum crack, Joe!

;)

wushu chik
03-19-2002, 07:15 PM
What we need less of are Idiots that think they know everything about EVERYTHING. I mean, you can't even make a **** statement without someone coming on and yelling about it, the TOTALLY contradicting themselves 15 minutes later. (Not You 2)...God i am getting so sick of peoples sh!t.

Serpent
03-19-2002, 07:17 PM
And you should be allowed to rant about that sh!t and then have a good, nonsensical laugh with like-minded people, all on the same forum! Right!?

wushu chik
03-19-2002, 07:18 PM
Oh yeah, and less egotistical sexist a$$holes. I really don't think most guys quite grasp the concept of the SH!T that comes flying out of their mouths when they aren't thinking (which lately seems most of the time).

GreyMystik
03-19-2002, 07:28 PM
had some good experiences here Wushu Chik? ;)

wushu chik
03-19-2002, 07:31 PM
Hi GreyMystik~
Haven't seen you around for a while!! And, yeah...just go to the "What we need more of" Thread...it's pretty interesting...

~Wen~

joedoe
03-19-2002, 08:08 PM
A rash is the least of my worries when it comes to my bum crack - I do happen to live in the Southern Hemisphere's g@y capital :D

Merryprankster
03-19-2002, 08:14 PM
We need an "otherground" like mma.tv....(formerly www.mixedmartialarts.com)

Serpent
03-19-2002, 09:01 PM
Hmmm. 93.75% so far in favour of letting the nonsense threads stay in the main forum! Even Dubya would have trouble swinging that majority around.

So, Mods. Are you going to listen to your users?

And hey, Wushu Chik. You know what you need? You need a good, hard fu.....

*Serpent gets swiftly gagged and dragged off by Ryu*

:D

Serpent
03-19-2002, 10:05 PM
94.44%

Hey Wushu Chik. Get a load of this beau...... eerrrk!

;)

red5angel
03-20-2002, 06:59 AM
Although some of it may lead to some interesting discussion, this is a kung fu forum. I am not trying to be an azz here, just pointing out that there are millions of forums and chat rooms on the internet. Also the moderators could create a forum for htose who are looking to socialize.
I just know it seems like somedays I log on to find more crap then kungfu, especially when it is about how depressed someone is or how do t hey get their girlfreind back, etc.... there are other places for that.

xiong
03-20-2002, 07:59 AM
While I agree that it is nice to get more insight into the users of the forum, the only thing that gets tiresome is threads that basically become personal eamils between people.

However I would prefer we police ourselves, rather than the mods do it.

ewallace
03-20-2002, 08:27 AM
Wushu, you seem kinda irritated the last few days. What gives?

Sho
03-20-2002, 08:48 AM
A new forum area for off-topic thread could be useful. IMHO.

red5angel
03-20-2002, 09:12 AM
Yuen, while it is a nice idea, it is not practical. It would recquire that someone moderate it, and set it up. Does this make sense in a forum that is supposed to be about martial arts, to devote resources to a forum that is about everything else? Especially in this day and age where if one wanted to they could go to yet another forum somewhere and get input?
Sometimes I dont have a problem with it, but it just seems as of late that the forum has turned into a playground and not a kungfu forum.

Chinwoo-er
03-20-2002, 10:06 AM
I dont' think it is unpractical.
I mean, the main forum could be used for more achademic topics why this "relax lounge" could be used for all the other more personal things.
I think it is a good idea.
I am certain that if it is set up, then we will explore both when we are on.

DelicateSound
03-20-2002, 12:34 PM
Firstly:

I really don't think most guys quite grasp the concept of the SH!T that comes flying out of their mouths when they aren't thinking (which lately seems most of the time).

WTF? Wushu Chik - I used to think you were one of the [few] level-headed, unstereotypical kind of girls. Have you suddenly gone blonde or what?!

Secondly - nonsense should stay. The humour of this forum is sometimes great. Offtopic post's like Jon's anger post are Very related to MA's, and shouldn't even be moved [most people just visit the main forum IMO]

Even other topics are OK - I stay here for the people as much as the Kung Fu. The only topics that should go are trolls that are insighting trouble.

Although if anyone remembers when Renegade Monk [hero] "corrected" Ralek's soliciting post - this is how moderating should be done. :)

Budokan
03-20-2002, 12:42 PM
I still get a chuckle when I remember how Renegade Monk trolled the Troll. That was so classic.:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-20-2002, 01:26 PM
i don't understand why women post here at all. they ought to be cooking, cleaning, or dedicating their time to making sure their men are happy and comfortable. if they had the internet in the 50s you could bet the barn that these baby makers wouldn't have been sittin online with hungry husbands and dirty dishes. back then women knew their place or got slapped right back into it. if a woman's work is never done how come they do so little of it these days. this country is goin straight down the tubes.

wushu chik
03-20-2002, 01:47 PM
DelicateSound~ Sorry, yesterday I was having a really bad day!! No big deal though, I have no problem with the remarks, because I can be just as sexist and rude!! :D LOL~

And GDA~ Uh, sure......and if MEN would do their jobs...like work instead of sitting on their ass on the internet, maybe women wouldn't have to worry about all the lil **** in life!!! And, sorry, but it's an EQUAL opportunity world now so HA HA HA!

~Wen~

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-20-2002, 01:59 PM
equal opportunity and one sided responsiblity.

wushu chik
03-20-2002, 02:06 PM
LOL! GDA....you get the sexist pig award for the day!!! Oh wait, the days still not over.....uh, I'll see around 10 pm tonight...and then give the award.....and you have your work cut out for you around here!! LOL

~Wen~

halfling
03-20-2002, 02:14 PM
GDA - I've cooked, cleaned, and my man is happy and comfortable... can I get on the internet now?

Sorry, thought I'd say hi since I've just been perusing lately.

ewallace
03-20-2002, 02:15 PM
this country is goin straight down the tubes.
You think it's really a coincedence this started happening around the same time women were given the right to vote?

Badger
03-20-2002, 02:21 PM
LOL!

Badger

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-20-2002, 03:45 PM
everyone knew i was joking. what a p!sser.

halfling
03-20-2002, 03:51 PM
its all been in good fun :D

Serpent
03-20-2002, 04:49 PM
So, with over 40 votes, we still have over 87% in favour of keeping the open threads in the main forum. And in truth, the way I look at it, when any of us post anything, it's martial arts related. After all, we're all martial artists, talking about stuff with other martial artists.

So, Mods, are you gonna listen to the people or are you gonna be nazis? Your call now! ;)

Wushu Chik. That's one!

ewallace
03-20-2002, 05:26 PM
No open threads for you! Come back one year.

Serpent
03-21-2002, 05:52 PM
Well, Mods? Any comments?

dezhen2001
03-21-2002, 05:57 PM
maybe it should be like Doc's site (russbo) and have a section for general bullshlt? That way we can all still rant and talk rubbish, without it corrupting the opther sections?

david

fightfan
03-21-2002, 06:31 PM
The UG(Underground) forum went to he!! when they decided to open the OG(Otherground) forum.
OG attracted trolls of the highest level of annoyance and they invaded the UG.
This place is perfect the way it is IMO. You can still grab a shoe and crush the couple of roaches that make it through the door via intelligent conversation. This place aint so bad!

SifuAbel
03-21-2002, 07:53 PM
I guess the trolls do RULE this board.
Sheesh :rolleyes:

Serpent
03-21-2002, 07:56 PM
It's not about trolls, Abel. Most of the serious posters here smoke out the trolls and have a good time doing it. It's about sharing subjects other than martial arts and having a general laugh with other like minded people, as well as serious martial arts discussions. All in the one place.

Mods? Come on, let's have some official word!

diego
03-21-2002, 08:10 PM
you do realize only 47 out of 3000 has voted...