PDA

View Full Version : too *****?

TjD
03-19-2002, 06:49 PM
ok this is a bit weird

but lately ive been feeling like i have way too much energy

its bad enough that even though my brain says im tired, my body doesnt

i think from this is stemming the idea that im *****, and need to do the deed to get rid of the extra energy so i can sleep

however, i dont like the way that leaves me feeling, mentally or physically; and its usually not enough to get rid of all this energy

any suggestions for me?

thanks
trav

TjD
03-19-2002, 06:50 PM
by ***** i mean h0rny :)

peace
trav

prana
03-19-2002, 08:00 PM
Hey TjD :)

Take a leak when you feel that h0rny sensation. That is good energy, don't waste it by shooting it more than you need to. Sit cross legged, it prevents "leakage", practise closing the lower gates.

I dont want to say too much in case side-track, perhaps someone who is more open on these subjects can tell you more, like Nexus or RM.

Nexus
03-19-2002, 09:59 PM
This excessive yang energy occurs when the body is retaining s3men or s3xual energy and it is not being circulated throughout the body. This causes it to build up excessively in the lower centers of the body, including the genital area. It can also be the case where energy has traveled up from the g3nital areas to the head and has never been recirculated down the front of the body. Suggested meditation in this case is either standing post in a wuji posture allowing the energy to sink down to the lower tan tien, or microcosmic orbit meditation, where you tighten the hui yin (perenium) and using the breath and intention of the mind bring the energy up the spine, up the back of the head and all the way to the crown of the head, then down the front of the body through the heart center and lower dantien and down to the perenium again. Do this meditation for 5-10 minutes 3 seperate times throughout the day. You can do this meditation standing, seated or lying on the right side of your body.

Another idea if this doesn't begin to work immeidately for you, is to find a abundant source of yin energy. Now, what first comes to mind is a woman but this might cause you to lose the energy you have been cultivating through losing your seed. I would suggest spending some time in nature, eating some fruits, eating some grains and food that comes from the earth such as beans and rice. Try to cut down on some of the more yang foods such as meat. Spend some time cultivating the yin in life and it will help balance out the excessive yang energies in the body restoring a harmonious state of being.

Whatever you choose to do though, I would suggest that you do not try to releave the yang energy through the loss of semen as this will relax the feeling you have in your body but can and likely will imbalance the spirit and the heart. If you study chi kung or tai chi with a teacher, they should be very familiar with circulating chi throughout the body.

- Nexus

TjD
03-19-2002, 10:34 PM
well actually, the energy is in my chest area (around the heart chakra), not the lower areas

and as to meat, i havent had beef in months, and chicken mabye once every two weeks... the rest is grains, lentils, cheeze, fruits, vegetables, tofu and the occasional seafood

ill try to regulate my energy more than i already do; hopefully thatll help

anything else?

thanks
trav

prana
03-19-2002, 10:49 PM
TjD :)

There are a possibilities here, but confusing from your post.

One possibility, energy collected at your heart can lead you to feel as if you are not sleeping well, but when you wake, you find that you are fresher than ever. Actually, you will be sleeping better than every before, with very little dreams.

But does it "stay" when you are awake ?

TjD
03-19-2002, 11:08 PM
thats the whole problem, i cant get it to go away :)

and while its there i feel like theres just too much energy going through my body for me to fall asleep :( which is my whole problem

thanks for all the input guys :)

peace
trav

Nexus
03-19-2002, 11:11 PM
Energy in the heart center could have many meanings, so many in fact that it would be an excess to go into detail on any of them here. Rather than "what" they mean, let's just go right into the how to deal with them processes.

One thing to check is your structure during standing meditation. If your posture is improper you could be locking your energy in one area of the body. An exercise to distribute energy all throughout the body if you know a t'ai chi form, is to pick areas of the body to focus on when you do your t'ai chi form RATHER than your lower dan tien. An example would be focussing on the crown of the head where the clasiccs says it hangs like a string holds it from above. You can focus on the third eye center, the hui yin point ensurring the tail bone to be tucked, or any of the points that run along the spine.

Another suggestion I thought of after I made that post was to take some cold baths if you usually take hot or warm ones. If you usually take hot or warm ones, try doing the opposite and alternate the process. Warm bath, colder bath, warm bath, colder bath. This will begin to balance out some of the energy in the body as well.

Just standing in an emptyness posture (wuji) and letting the energy flow downward through the feet sounds to me as being the best exercise for the energetic qualities you described. Keep in mind that you are becoming more in touch and aware of these energies in your body. Point being, sometimes it is best to observe the energy in our body rather then try and make it move or do something else, as it has a logic all to itself. Keep at it and with some creative thinking and determination on your part you will find the solution and balance and harmony you are searching for.

- Nexus

prana
03-19-2002, 11:21 PM
Hey TjD :)

I would agree with Nexus for the most parts except taking a cold bath. I am not sure about this one. No offense Nexus :) But have you tried the Chenrezig sadhana. Disperse your energy into all sentient beings for their benefit ? I fear to speak in detail over the net... if you havent been initiated. Perhaps sit your attention in your navel center ? I forget if you practise Theravadin path or the diamond path?

Otherwise, perhaps one of Nexus's suggestions, stances, straightening your vessels etc. ?

TjD
03-19-2002, 11:39 PM
i love its simplicity :)

and nexus gave me the answer i already knew ;(
gotta figure it out myself

i just was hopin for a little insight ;)

peace
trav

prana
03-20-2002, 12:33 AM

For the most part, I think it is a great achievement. Attaining awareness like that is very beneficial, but as far as I know, is not much utilised in the Annapanasati sutra. I guess, the sutra states to simply rest in its non-dual nature. Maybe this could be a path for you ?

But, since you do chant the 6-syllable mantra of Chenrezig, here you could try this practise. Meditate on the center of your heart chakra, a white dot as large as a mustard seed. Around that white dot, bright like the sun, surrounded by the 6 syllables OM MA NI PAD ME HUM, clockwise. Expand this energy as you chant the 6 syllable mantra, spreading this light, and expand this energy out to the beings of all the 6 realms. Spread this energy to the rest of this world.

This should help you use this energy in the path of Dharma for the benefit of all beings...

Great achievement nevertheless.

HTH.

Nexus
03-20-2002, 12:44 AM
Prana, I am not familiar with your practice. This may be misinterpretation but are you talking about using love to balance the energy in the heart center?

prana
03-20-2002, 12:49 AM
hehehehe of course :)

I just don't know if TjD would accept the non-theravadic path. TjD ?

TjD
03-20-2002, 01:09 AM
from my readings + such

i basically know the way for me... its the simplest one there is

attain the ultimate in concentration

4 jhanas -> sphere of infinite space -> sphere of infinite conciousness -> nothingness -> neither perception nor non-perception ->cessation of thought and feeling

then liberate myself through insight

i attained the 1st jhana a week ago :) :) 9 more steps to go

unfortunately in this path, there isnt much extra stuff to do with energy and such things ;)

however ive been in the habit of chanting 500-1000 om mani padme hum's once a day on top of everything

i think im in need of the purification :)

i have discovered chanting om mani padme hum is one of the best things i can do however ;) the vibrations and energy it creates is amazing; after i relax and really get into it (mabye after 100-200 of em) - its so beautiful

peace
travis

Nexus
03-20-2002, 01:58 AM
Prana, that was the impression I got. Love is the most powerful tool you have on your path, do not hesitate to share it with others.

In loving yin with the yang qualities you posses, yin will return the favor returning the love of yin qualities. Love is the fabric that intertwines yin and yang, love in abundance :)

prana
03-20-2002, 02:46 AM
Travis :)

sadhu sadhu sadhu...

yes the Annapanna-sati sutra is indeed a pure teaching, and it is great that you took refuge in this path. The first jhana, that is indeed a great achievement. Very auspicious indeed :) I am very happy for you. As I said to Harry_The_Monk, when you achieve enlightenment, remember the rest of us beings in samsara.

I am curious, where did you pick up the chanting of the 6 syllable mantra ? Also, who is your teacher ?

I am not sure if I have the right to say this, but be sure you "come down" from your state of adsorbtion slowly as opposed to suddenly. Otherwise, you can suffer from energy sickness, but of course, you might already know this, sorry to blabber.

Nexus :)

Excellent... It is superb to be able to compare the things you (and Repulsive Monkey and Crimson Phoenix) say and compare the teachings I have been given. It is really, simply excellent. You guys are always such a great resource, makes this forum an excellent place to come to.

Loving Kindness is the path that traverses EVERY practise of Buddhism, Theravadin, Mahayana and Vajrayana. But the above is the incomplete sadhana, the complete sadhana involves the offering of oneself to that of Chenrezig before performing the above exercise. But I best not go into that too much for now.

TjD
03-20-2002, 10:59 AM
actually, i picked up chanting om mani padme hum from way before i found my current path

about 3 years ago i was introduced to buddhism and my friend gave me a few books to read; and well that mantra definately touched me, along with everything else ive read about it

any love one can spread is good :)

as to a teacher, i've been in the process of looking for one for quite sometime :( without much sucess however
all ive got is the teachings of the buddha, which are quite wonderful
i've read about a quarter of the theravada canon - i indeed have much to learn and do need to find a teacher; ah well

if any of you can recommend a teacher in the albany area... that would be most wondeful

thanks so much
travis

Nexus
03-20-2002, 11:51 AM
If I hear of any people in the albany area searching for a teacher, i'll make sure to point them to the top guru, TjD.

- Nexus

prana
03-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Although I have no idea where Albany is, if your interest is in the Theravadin system (Pali Canon), there are many "wats" (temples) around. Perhaps loook up in the phone book.

I thinking about your problem, and perhaps if you havent had a teacher, and you find that energy is perhaps laying in places you didnt want it to be, you might want to look at this....

1. Allow adequate time coming out of samadhi. Reverand Mahinda once advised my brother (who follows the Pali Canon) have the patience to go in, have the patience go come out, after having energy stuck on his head and suffering an "odd" headache for 2 weeks.

2. Perform a little bit of walking meditation after your sit. Don't sit too late at night when you are tired. Perhaps simply chanting at night...

But I cannot emphasise enough, get a teacher. You will never find a resource better than a guru trained in teaching. I remember sitting in front of Rinponche, and he immediately saw my weakness and corrected it out.

All the words I type here cannot replace just a single of the word of a sangha. But surely, you already know that... be well and hope you find a teacher soon :)

TjD
03-20-2002, 06:34 PM
albany is in upstate new york....

its new york states state capital (not NYC like everyone seems to think hehehe)

ill keep up my search, and hopefully i can find someone :)

thanks for all the help

peace
travis

TjD
03-20-2002, 07:03 PM
sometimes i wish theravada buddism was more popular :)

everything ive found around here is zen and tibetan

and while i definately appreciate the both of them; zen has never really spoken to me
and for some reason everything i read about tibetan buddism seems somehow different... i cant quite pin it down :)

peace
trav

prana
03-20-2002, 07:39 PM

Tibetan covers all the practises of the Theravadin and Mahayanist system. Although the main emphasis is on the yogic systems, students MUST go through the preliminary practises, which is identical to what you are doing now. There are 4 principle lineages but practises are all similar.

All techniques differ slightly from teacher to teacher, but truth be told, they ultimately lead you to the same goal.

Good luck...

TjD
03-20-2002, 07:51 PM
yes that i know :)

mabye ill try one out :)

peace
travis

prana
03-20-2002, 07:53 PM
good to hear, I am very happy :)

harry_the_monk
03-21-2002, 01:10 AM
:D

Good luck on whichever path you may find yourself practising my friend.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
04-02-2002, 01:55 PM
For what it is worth TjD, try standing meditation and Qigong exercises. Best of luck.

Damian

TjD
04-03-2002, 01:24 AM
well its gotten better actually

what ive been doing is really making sure im always mindful... and while its not 100%, its really helped a bit

thanks for all the input you guys :)

peace
travis