PDA

View Full Version : Wah Lum Sifu Test ??

KeyEssence
03-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Who has taken the Wah Lum test? How hard is it? What can i expect? whats does it involve?

Hua Lin Laoshi
03-20-2002, 09:08 AM
Will you be testing or just planning for the future? E-Mail me if you will be testing this week.

yu shan
03-20-2002, 11:00 PM
Key

From what I know, they are all differant. If you know in your heart you are ready, don`t worry, HAVE FUN. The worst part is not performing for MC, but the peer preasure of your older kung fu brothers! I used to love doing kung fu for MC, it`s better than any drug!

Communicate with Hua Lin, he has quality insight. I have alot of great stories about my testing experience but don`t want to stir up anything. To me the best part was the preparing, you know, long hours,sweat, pain, anticipation!

Good luck all.

kfwisdom
04-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Out of curiousity, what would stir things up?

kfwisdom

yu shan
04-14-2002, 07:46 PM
kfwisdom

umm, not to be a jerk or anything, but on your 1st post you want to bring up an old thread like this! granted, kfo has been kind of boring lately.

here goes, the WL sifu test was a geat experience for me. best part was the preparation, all the hours with my si-hing training! the test, 1999, was a great get together of sifus and wantabe`s. alot of peer pressure and comic relief for MC. seemed very amused by it all, instead of worrying about the quality of his sifus. i witnessed so called sifus pass the test that i wouldn`t let teach 8-change punch. hopefully for WL it was better this time.

thankfully, i`ve moved on to a Mantis style that is teaching me the true treasures, i have learned more in a short time, than i did in 11 years in WL. i`m sure i will tick some folks off with this, but i`m still being nice, there is alot more than can be said!

kfwisdom
04-15-2002, 06:47 AM
Yu Shan,

I appreciate you shedding some light on this. I'm a newbie on this board and your comment peaked my curiousity. Not a bad thing right! Being that Wah Lum is one of the styles that has the most branch schools and practitioners in the US, it is very interesting to hear about their structure.

yu shan
04-16-2002, 09:08 PM
kfwisdom,

how`s things on the west coast? i have a kf brother in the costa mesa, huntington bch. area. are you near? i see you`ve done/doing choy lee fut. of all the southern style`s clf is to me the best. put`s out great fighters.

do not misunderstand me about Wah Lum, i had some great experiences. you will not find another system that trains as intense on things like leg strength and forms work. that being said, sure they took me to that certain level of training, but could not take me any higher. what i needed out of Mantis kung fu i could not obtain there. it`s not all about flashy forms.

unfortunately, when i left the style (respectful) only to better myself mind you, my so called friends kf brothers are not allowed to speak to me and one other sifu that left to do the same. what`s with this? there are Great people in WL, i just question some of the politics.

woliveri
04-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Hey, yu shan.
I'm about 2 min from Costa Mesa and 15 from Huntington Beach. It would be nice to know someone from a mantis system out here. Is your KF Brother from WL or PL?

Hey, you being in Tennessee, did you ever train with Rich Allen in WL? Didn't he teach there for a while?

yu shan
04-17-2002, 10:19 PM
Hi Woliveri,

My kung fu brother did WL with me in Tennessee. He had to move back to So. Calif. due to sickness in family. He Very much would like to hook up with a good kung fu school. He has searched all over the area, and tells me everything is cr*p. I am amazed by this, always with the idea Calif. being the m*ther-load of CMA. He really liked the strong work ethic of WL, and lets face it, not too many schools train as hard anymore. If you can help my kf bro. let me know, it doesnt have to be a commercial school. Just meeting in a frgn. park. I got a nice responce from PaulLin who is in the area, but I was preparing for a trip to Taiwan, and couldnt follow up.

As for Richard Allen, I used to work out a lil with him at the Temple, back in the early 90s. I came from Arthur`s crew from Tampa. That`s where I got my beginnings with WL. Started 1990 with Art. Used to go to Temple alot. Richard was one of the funniest guys I ever met, you know what I mean. Richard taught in North Carolina, after he left Orlando.

I had good times with WL. just moved on to something else. I can truthfully say that I always showed respect, wasnt always reciprocated. You can see I`m doing PL. It`s filling a void that`s been missing for a long time. I`m trying not to bash, some things are better unsaid.

I`ve enjoyed your posts, you give quality insight. e-mail address ripdogmantis@worldnet.att.net

Peace, YS

PaulLin
04-18-2002, 08:37 AM
I am about 15 min. drive form here to Costa Mesa too. It will prabably take less than 30 min to Huntington Beach. Our research group are in a park, private. If you like to check us out and see if this will help you or not, you are welcome to drop by.

woliveri
04-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Your kung fu bother is correct as far as I have found here in Southern California. I have found no kung fu schools in the area (from Monterey Park to Rowland Heights to My local area), no schools I have felt were quality. Oh, wait. What about Kenny Edwards school in Pasadena? He was at WL and knows a great deal. He now teaches Eagle Claw but says the footwork is very similar to WL. It's a drive from Costa Mesa (about an hour) but I know he represents quality with no BS. I have found at least three good internal schools though. One would be Jason Tsao in Monterey Park, another would be Tim Cartmel in Garden Grove, and the third would be Tony Ho who teaches Wu style in Lake Forest. Oh yeah, one more. I can't remember his name but there is a Ba Gua teacher in Monterey Park who teaches Imperial Ba Gua. He seems very good but a little expensive. In all four of these schools the teacher was down to earth and straight forward. Funny thing also, I thought there would be a lot of Qi Gong in the area too but I have found little. It's amazing. It could be that it's here but all practicing in private.

NorthernMantis
04-18-2002, 05:28 PM
Hey woliveri I think sifu Abel has a school in South California and he teaches emperor's longfist and monkey. You could probably get some info from him if you want.

woliveri
04-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Sifu Able contacted me once and asked about my area saying he was intending to move down but I don't know if he ever did and if so where he landed. Also, I have never been to his school or observed his teachings so I can't offer any comments there. Anyway, this is for yu shan's kungfu brother, not me. I'm only interested in Qi Gong in the area of which I can find none, thank you very much :-)

PaulLin, might you know of anyone teaching Qi Gong in our area?

Thanks

yu shan
04-18-2002, 08:45 PM
woliveri,

appreciate the info, will lean towards PaulLin, he sounds to me like old school. I just hope my friend Rick is still as serious as he once was. you know how priorities change! he is very respectful and will be a great student of the Arts.

Kenny is doing well it seems, Eagle is good. he always had alot of energy and loved to talk. I myself, less talk more workout. if things do not work with PaulLins research group I`ll see about Kennys group.

question? are you a WL er from the 80`s? just curious. been alot of greats ya know. ahh, question #2 are you in Qi Gong for the medical aspect? there seems to be alot of "feel good" Qi Gong in my area. excuse my ignorance on the internals, it`s an area that is in need of research on my part. this is around the corner for me, but right now the emphasis is on Mantis, blah blah blah...

Que pasa NorthernMantis? how are things in south Florida?

yu shan
04-18-2002, 09:10 PM
Did anyone test in March? And how did it go? Haven`t heard from Hua Lin.

woliveri
04-18-2002, 09:54 PM
If it's one thing I've learned since I've been in the martial arts is "window of opportunity". Very often we are given, due to our fate or what have you, an opportunity to study with good people. Sadly, since it came so seemingly easy, we believe it will be just as easy in the future and we may let it pass only to later realize we do not have the opportunity again. Hopefully your kungfu brother realizes this as PaulLin sounds like this type of opportunity. Remember, without this board we most likely would never know of him.

I started WL in 84 but I am definitely not one of the 'greats' :-)

I am interested in Qi Gong for health, longevity and helping others, not the 'feel good, new age qi gong'. I have a basic understanding of Chinese Medicine use this knowledge to understand Qi Gong. I have not met anyone who practices Medical Qi Gong for healing so I have no experiences to relate to you. I have always been taught not to use your qi for healing so again I can't comment on this.

Hua Lin Laoshi
04-19-2002, 04:24 PM
yu shan
Testing went well this year. I had a great time and got to meet all the Wah Lum Sifus. Of course I didn't do as well as I would like but I didn't crash and burn either. Currently I'm in Las Vegas with quite a bit of work to do but I'll get back to posting after I return next week. Guess I need to change my screen name now.:D

NorthernMantis
04-19-2002, 05:00 PM
Oh, I see. Yu shan if you want I you could get some info from sifu Able but he is rarely online much anymore. Maybe you can catch him in the shao lin forum.

Hey Hua Lin Khalil gave me your greetings right back at ya. Is it true that Mike is getting married? Man what a mind blower. Mike pushed me a lot when I was there ,among others.

yu shan
04-19-2002, 08:27 PM
Well said Woliveri, my sentiments exactly. I never was one to float like a butterfly from style to style. I feel very lucky to be where I am in my MA career, even at 45! Just can`t let go of the drive to learn "the real deal" in Mantis Kung Fu. Can say, if I was in So Calif. would see what it would take to be a part of PaulLin`s world. I am waiting on a response from my kf bro. Much emphasis has been conveyed to my friend. You are so right about KFO, would we ever know of these Greats? That being said, I bet you have alot of stories to tell, the 80`s musta been smooth.

Hua Lin Laoshi,
Congrats friend! I take it you will be spreading WL to LV ? If so, good call, you will do good.

Thank you PaulLin.