PDA

View Full Version : What Style of mantis is this set

diego
03-20-2002, 03:25 AM
http://mitglied.lycos.de/gottesanbeterin/e_training.htm?

firepalm
03-20-2002, 03:46 AM
Do believe that it is a contemporary wushu version of praying mantis but could be wrong. Certain postures are pictured in the routine that are trademark contemporary wushu mantis. But then again I could be wrong as I don't know all there is to know about the various branches of mantis.;)

PaulLin
03-20-2002, 11:26 AM
Looks like wushu to me too, especailly the way pictures were drawn, how the instructive part was set, and the moves/postures. I think I maybe able to find it in Chinese book store.

mantis108
03-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Is there an emoticon that's for covering the eyes (in immense agony)?

I thought I was looking at a new age flamgo ballet recital routine! Good thing I have a health heart or I would have collapsed rigth there. *two thumbs way down* for whatever "it " supposed to be.

Mantis108

PaulLin
03-20-2002, 12:00 PM
I got that feeling a little bit too.

diego
03-20-2002, 01:46 PM
Ah'well....to bad to, he has something like 50 lesson's?.

-N-
03-20-2002, 02:03 PM
The set is called Little Mantis. According to Brendan Tunks, the set was created by Li Qiyu, and was published in WuLin magazine. Check out:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/gottesanbeterin/book/e001.htm

not quite halfway down the page.

Brendan's website is:

http://www.mantisboxing.com/home.shtml

That set actually contains some very nice applications. You do need to distinguish movements stylized for performance versus actual application.

-N-

mantis108
03-20-2002, 03:02 PM
The following is what Mr Tunks posted:

"Jun 21, 1999 02:27
My name: Brendan Tunks Australian Mantis Boxing Society
e mail: koolism@dynamite.com.au
Title of my site:

Martial arts I like: Praying Mantis Kungfu
Praying Mantis Kungfu I like: Seven Star Praying Mantis Kungfu
My Comments:
Nice site but you have used my teachers modern Xiao Tanglangquan Taolu as taken from Wulin Magazine. It was designed by Li Qiyu of Qingdao, China. Li Qiyu and Li Qiming and Li Zhanyuan's head desciple are my teachers. Please Explain... Thankyou; Bai Renda. "

I believe it is very clear that this "routine" is a RECENT creation of what is seemed to be mainland China 7 star PM based. While I admire the creativity but I have to wonder what purpose does this form serve in attribute development of Praying Mantis Kung Fu. What is so "special" about this form that other "traditional" forms don't have; hence, needed this form to suppliment? Unless of course we are talking about a soon to be "core" form(s) of modern Wushu Praying Mantis style (perhaps aspiring to be a super duper system) replacing the old (bad in the eyes of the PRC government). When would be the *******ization stop? Sorry about the rant but Wushu has no right to infringe on anything traditional Kung Fu. Well, I guess form collecters won't mind about it at all. What I question is the respect for the traditional systems and the wisdom of the creation (if that exists).

Mantis108

PS good luck with the power generation with those stance. If one can pull off takedown moves with those stances (not to mention fa jing), we really don't need to sweat for doing Kung Fu no more. Artistic license is the death of real Kung Fu. *sigh*

diego
03-20-2002, 03:17 PM
but if i wanna dance it's not going tobe in mimic of fighting a Dude!:)

puma
03-20-2002, 03:30 PM
****!!!
I just asked that guy if i could down load his material too
I thought i was going to be learning some traditional
mantis kung fu ....oh well

Obsidian Mantis
03-21-2002, 05:24 AM
It's not a good thing - these Wushu forms pollute our traditional systems and give people the wrong impression - leading them into believing that our Kung Fu is for show rather than for combat.
Now some of the Chin Woo forms like Jeet Kune - fine, they're good for training, and some useful applications can be gleaned from them. But this....
It'd make me laugh if it didn't make me cry.