PDA

View Full Version : Website with video clips!

PJO
03-20-2002, 03:32 PM
Check out this website http://www.fareastfightingarts.com/ It has video clips of different animal techniques when you click on the Chinese symbols. Let me know what everyone thinks!

Dronak
03-20-2002, 04:09 PM
Interesting. I'm pretty new to MA so I don't have a whole lot to say about it. One thing that I noticed was that all of the initial responses were basically the same -- one arm blocks the punch and one leg kicks as a counter attack. Not always the same arm and leg, but the same general initial response. It also looked like the guy was pulling his strikes rather far from the attacker's body and naturally he didn't want to beat the guy up for real. But to my untrained eye it was a little hard to catch the effectiveness of some of the strikes when they were pulled so far from the striking point. Just me? And a question -- what was with that arm waving/circling stuff between the initial response to the attack and the arm grab/lock that followed? Did it serve a purpose I couldn't see? Just my newbie thoughts on the clips. :)

PJO
03-20-2002, 04:20 PM
Of course he had to pull a lot of things back so as not to injure the other person. The hands on the mantis technique are what's called dragging hands. The fingers rake through the attackers face and eyes distracting him further.

norther practitioner
03-20-2002, 04:54 PM
Ah, yes, in the shaolin forum...watch out for the skeptics....I'll keep it to a minimum here, however, watch out in the other forum. Hey dronak, good to see you, oh, and don't take anything personally here PJO.

Dronak
03-20-2002, 07:15 PM
OK, PJO, I understand why the hand waving move is there now. But doesn't this also help illustrate my point? His hands are rather far away from the guy's face in that move. Unless you were already familiar with the move/style, it's not that hard to miss the point of it. A number of strikes in the other clips looked the same way. I totally understand that he's going to pull his strikes to avoid injuring his assistant. I guess I was just expecting him to pull them closer to contact than he did on some of them. Maybe my perception of reality isn't accurate, but I thought advanced martial artists had enough control to pull punches much later, i.e. closer to contact, then the one in the clips did. I mean, it doesn't exactly give the best impression of the effectiveness of the strikes when they're pulled to such an obvious extent and yet the attacker is acting like he was struck anyway. *shrug* Like I said, I'm new so I still don't know a lot. I'm sure there are others who know more and can give better comments than I can.

northern practitioner, thanks. :) I've only been registered here for a short time and it's still a little hard for me to find topics to really get into, so I'm not posting a whole lot. Maybe once I get a better feel for things here and/or feel like I've got some more worth sharing, I'll post a little more often.

diego
03-20-2002, 09:34 PM
that it took me two years to get into convo, or the fact i lurked for a year and a half before i started posting

well thiers almost four years down the drain, thanks gene
thanks alot:mad: :p

shaolinboxer
03-21-2002, 09:48 AM
Nice site with clear presentation.

denali
03-21-2002, 12:50 PM
"Shaolin Snake & Crane form - as seen in the original David Carradine movie, "Kung Fu." Only Far East Fighting Arts offers training in this rare form. "

Interesting....

Fen
03-26-2002, 01:07 PM
this is geting old PLease Read Your History on Shaolin and kung fu !!

jon
03-27-2002, 04:30 AM
Ill have
A mantis
A tiger
A bear
Some of the wudang triad shaolin stuff
and maybe a little questionable history as well
Plus i would like my black belt in only 2 months.
Please hook me up, ive been looking everywhere for somewhere i can buy some kung fu from.

PJO
Just do yourself one small favor, from all of your posts you personaly sound like a decent guy. PLEASE check out some other schools and check out your instructors story from an ubiased standpoint.
You personaly sound like you could be a great student and your previous training will help in that you have now better physical attributes and co-ordination. You owe it to yourself to also be learning some good solid skills to go with it.
Dont just be yet another fool throwing there money away on someone who really doesnt deserve it.
At least check out some other schools and how they do things, you may get a shock but it could open your eyes a lot.
All the best and i hope you take on a bit what has been said not just be me but by MANY others.
Jon

Anon
04-02-2002, 03:03 PM
This is so unrealistic....and staged.. look at the attacking guy he is just goign with the motions. like a rag doll!! Horrible representation of shoalin king fu.