PDA

View Full Version : Teaching the Dummy

stuartm
03-21-2002, 02:41 AM
Just wondered when you sifus on the forum begin teaching the dummy to your students. By this I dont necessarily mean the form, but basics.

When i first started learning i had difficulties turning, but my sifu put me on the dummy, and showed me simple techniques such as turning pak sau etc. This really improved my footwork.

As such, once my students have grasped the basics, I intend to start them on the dummy doing very simple moves.

I am not a great believer in the dummy being sacred and only shown to those who've done CK or BJ. The dummy is a tool to be used to improve you're WC any way it can. Look at the most common errors for beginners - elbows out, not sinking the stance, losing the centre. The dummy can help them with all this.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Regards, Stuart

Wingman
03-21-2002, 07:54 PM
You don't have to know CK or BJ to use the dummy. Basic techniques like punching, tan sao, fook sao, bong sao, etc. can be executed on the dummy. Drills can also be done on the dummy. I think the dummy can help train beginners on the correct structure of these basic techniques.

For example, most beginners have difficulty keeping the elbows in. They have to keep their elbows in, to properly execute these techniques on the dummy. Unlike a human partner, the dummy is unforgiving. If you don't keep your elbows in, you will hit your elbow on the dummy's arm when punching.

However, I do believe that the dummy form be taught when you are in CK or BJ level. I also believe that the dummy cannot replace a human partner.

IronFist
03-22-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Wingman
Defend where there is no attack;
attack where there is no defense.

I don't think I understand your quote. Why would you defend where there is no attack? I get "attack where there is no defense," but I'd rather defend where there IS an attack so I don't get hit.

I think I'm missing something here.

IronFist

Wingman
03-22-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Ironfist
I don't think I understand your quote. Why would you defend where there is no attack?

A martial artist is skillful in attack whose opponent
does not know what to defend; and he is skillful in defense whose
opponent does not know what to attack.

He who is skilled in defense hides his intentions, plans, or strategy from his opponent, making it impossible for the enemy
to estimate his whereabouts. This being so, the places that he
shall defend are precisely those that the enemy cannot attack. You can ensure the safety of your defense if you defend
positions that cannot be attacked.

So how do you apply this principle in wing chun?
Answer: By occupying the centerline. If your centerline is well defended, your opponent cannot attack via the centerline. He has to find another way to launch his attack. If well defended, the centerline is a position that cannot be attack. This is where you should defend.

IMHO, attack and defense in wing chun are one. Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.

yenhoi
03-22-2002, 12:56 PM
Ironfist:

What wingman said.

If your into reading etc, Checkout www.WingChunKuen.com there is lots and lots and lots of articles there, one that might be of particular interest or help is called Wing Chun Maxims, by Augestine Fong (i think).

I found that particular piece very helpful in shedding some light on Wing Chun questions like the one you just asked.

yuanfen
03-22-2002, 05:36 PM
He who is skilled in defense hides his intentions, plans, or strategy from his opponent, making it impossible for the enemy
to estimate his whereabouts.
-------------------------------------------------
That is a good wing chun principle too!