PDA

View Full Version : questions about chi

WhtLotus
03-21-2002, 09:04 AM
Sorry if there's already a topic on this, I tried a search and: term you specified (chi) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. :rolleyes:

So I have a couple of questions about chi, as you might guess from the subject. I hope some of you can answer some of them for me!

-if it is possible to inject chi, like after iron palm training or in acupuncture, is it also possible to project chi away from your body to your opponent?
-what does chi feel like? I'm not sure if I've actually felt it or not... is it like a warm tingling sensation, or is blood just rushing to my hands/fingers?
-can you be taught to control chi?

That's all, I guess.

Silumkid
03-21-2002, 11:25 AM
Hi Lotus,

Did you try searching "qigong" or "chikung" or versions thereof? That may help. On to your questions...

I'm not sure what you mean by "injecting" qi...as far as I know, in regards to the methods you mentioned...a) iron palm: You are using your own existing qi to strengthen the hands and bones. b) Acupuncture doesn't inject anything, it merely unblocks your stagnated qi channels. As far as qi projection...do you mean over distances or from contact? I know from experience that you can do it by contact, and there are others who claim to be able to do it over distance, but unfortunately all the evidence so far has been anecdotal.

Qi feels different, again according to anecdotal evidence. Some say it feels like heat, others say it feels like electricity, still others say they feel it as air under the skin.

And I believe you can control qi.

Obsidian Mantis
03-22-2002, 01:19 AM
Brill stuff Chi! ;) I practice two forms of Chi Kung (ShiBa Lohan and Zhuan Zhuang) each day. I tend to find that Chi feels quite similar to pins and needles - similar to when you let your arms drop after holding them up for an excessive amount of timw. Not quite the same as bloodflow but similar. I do indeed believe it is possible to control Chi, but only after a minimum of several years hard (and diligent!) practice.

prana
03-22-2002, 02:48 PM
-if it is possible to inject chi, like after iron palm training or in acupuncture

It is possible to inject Chi. I am not sure what you mean by after iron palm training etc.

is it also possible to project chi away from your body to your opponent?

Yes, but it is not like DragonballZ. You can't blow up mountains.

can you be taught to control chi?

Yes, the question is, can you tame your monkey mind ?

Justa Man
03-22-2002, 03:09 PM
i've always been taught that chi feelings run deep. to tell you what i feel, only makes it artificial for you. in other words, someone tells you chi feels like a tingling feeling in the hands. so, now when you do any chi kung, you will try to create that tingling. so rather than let it happen in it's natural course, your intent forces it. also, there are alot more chi feelings than the ones given in this thread. i've always been taught to just feel the body, and was given no signs or indication of what to feel. i've felt all the stuff described by our kung fu friends on this post and things no one has mentioned yet. just know that feeling chi runs mad deep and try not to look for any certain feelings, just feel what comes naturally.
happy training. :)

WhtLotus
03-27-2002, 04:54 PM
thanks for the answers. :)

what I meant by "injecting" chi in iron palm techniques (I don't really know how to put it) is like... directing your chi into your opponent to strengthen the affect the attack has. :confused:

I'm just worried about the chi thing since I'm getting my first internal form soon.

Leonidas
03-27-2002, 08:29 PM
I think what your referring to is jing. I think Iron Palm is a bit different. Basic Iron Palm training is just conditoning your hand to withstand damage when you strike as hard as you can. It keeps your wrists and knuckles from breaking. There are different kinds of Iron Palm training but thats the one you'll find the most. Training for jing is alot more complicated. There are even dozens of different types of jing, the most common is fajing (explosive energy emission?). Someone elaborate on this, thats the limit of my jing knowledge :o :D.

iron mantis
04-21-2002, 02:59 PM
Here's a method to feel the river of chi running under the surface of your body. As previously posted you need to tame the monkey mind. Practice meditation until it is a state of mind. Just breathe and let your thoughts go away. Then feel what is happening in your body without attaching to it. When you get going do your internal form and feel what it does to your body. To truly get in touch with your chi is a long term affair. It may take years! But then the MA are our Way, are they not? Persevere and the answers will readily come.