PDA

View Full Version : progress in the art TC?

bamboo_ leaf
03-21-2002, 01:30 PM
“I think the different viewpoints and practices of different taijiquan styles reflect the insights of the respective master teachers based on their own practice and experience, a sign of continuing evolution (not the same as progress) in the art.” Wujidude.

Here where I play I can see many styles and people playing.
Everyone seems very open to others practice even though privetly i/they may not agree; this is alright. As long as one practices, and practieces this is good. :)

In pushing I also watch many people practice and learn, while I may not agree I am still supportive and always ready to show my understanding in a direct way. As long as it doesn’t interfere too much with my own practice.

So I would say from my perspective there is much progress in the form of openness and willinginess to share for those that are open.

So how would you define progress?

Ray Pina
03-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Great attitude.

I think evolution and progress are sort of different too.

Progress is going further along the path, while one evolves, the way they view the path should change. Maybe see things more intricitly which will lead to further progress.

Martial arts are great. Discovery is a fun adventure, and the nature of martial arts makes progress and evolution tangible and testable. This is the aspect that I like.

There is no in or out of bounds. No shot clock. Just one person putting years of trials and testing in motion against another.

TaiChiBob
03-22-2002, 06:42 AM
Greetings..

i sense that it is the art that evolves according to the progress of the players.. individuals progress to the limits of the art as it exists, then some move into the unknown, the insight that adds to the existing Art.. as individuals contribute their discoveries and insights to the Art, the Art slowly evolves.. the evolution is comprised of the contributions of people, the contributions are tested and either validated or discarded.. the discernment that refines the evolution..

There are those "purists" that would preserve the "original" forms (as if anyone actually "knows" what they are) to the exclusion of anything else.. those same people, by that reasoning, would be squatting around campfires and worshiping things outside their ability to comprehend.. Evolution is essential, stagnation is death.. Another troubling tendency is to pick a single aspect of the Art and embelish its merits while excluding other aspects.. again, the Art suffers by omission, by prejudicial and arbitrary focuses of desirability...

My personal perspective is that we should each "progress" to our individual limits, and beyond.. share our experiences such that they can be evaluated and tested in light of the principles of Tai Chi.. and HOPE.. and hope that there is sufficient wisdom out there to evolve The Art into a higher more beneficial system that itself contributes to the quality of life of those that choose its path.. (in fact, if we do really well, Tai Chi will contribute to everyone's lives simply by the presence of its players)..

Be well.. <bows>...