PDA

View Full Version : A little help...please

puma
03-21-2002, 02:09 PM
I know a lot of you more experienced martial artist are probably
against this ,but i'm going to take a chance and ask anyway
There are no mantis kung fu schools in the metro Detroit area that i know of.....sooooo i'm trying to learn 7 star mantis on my own as much as possible through research,drilling with the basics,
videos and books.
I figured i'd learn as much of the basics on my own as i possibly can and when ever i find a school or someone who can teach me ..... then they can correct what ever i may be doing wrong
So far i've learned Jon Funks two man cha chuey set .... a few other basic mantis techniques and i'm considering becoming one of his "video students"
Now i'm trying to learn Bung Bu...some of the apps i've pretty much figured out,but some of the other apps don't look that
easy to figure out on my own...is it possible that i could get some of you more experienced martial artist to give a novice a little help???
The Bung Bu set i'm talking about is on www.northernmantis.com
Any help would be very much appreciated
Thanks in advance........Puma

diego
03-21-2002, 09:11 PM
could you please emial tome:) .

puma
03-21-2002, 09:58 PM
Diego, which set are you referring to ....the cha chuey set???

diego
03-21-2002, 10:11 PM
i have the twoman set of chachuey from JonFunk in kungfumagazine, You wrote you know this set, i just looked at the article and this variation, same patternstructure, very differant hands?!
http://www.tang-lang.net/ChaChui.htm:cool:

diego
03-21-2002, 10:15 PM
I'l post what i think is mantis style from my technique's inna bit, to lazy to type technical lately:) ....Peace

Laughing Buddha
03-26-2002, 12:00 AM
Puma,

I am a student of Master Tony Chuy and you might want to know that the Beng Bu pictures on our website that you mentioned are intended for reference only. It assumes that you've already learned the form previously and need some brushing up on form details. Those pictures aren't meant to be instructional (we have not provided any information on applications and the camera was not positionally static throughout the whole form, i.e. the camera was actually moving around so as to best highlight various details in the form). As such, to attempt to learn the applications or even the form sequence from the pictures is to do yourself a disservice. You might want to consult various instructional videos available out there for application details as you have already done thus far. I believe that Mr. Jon Funk has already got a videotape out on Beng Bu.

puma
03-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Laughing Buddah...thanks for the advice.
As of now.....i'll no longer be attempting to learn the Beng Bu set from Sifu Tony Chuys web site...i'll concentrate more on the
cha chuey set i've learned...looks like video is the way i'll have to go untill i can find a school or teacher.
I have been asking around about Jon Funks videos
He answered my e mail,but I would still like to hear from any one
who has seen any of his videos
Are they any good...can you learn forms and applications from them???

MightyB
03-26-2002, 12:17 PM
Puma,

The 7* School that I go to is only about 2 hours north of Detroit. If you want, I could email you directions on how to get there and the class times.

B

Laughing Buddha
03-26-2002, 03:01 PM
Puma,

You're welcome.

I don't know if previous posts are archived that far back but I seem to remember some older discussion about the videos in question. There was one statement that someone else made which stuck in my mind: "While the sequences are mostly accurate for the Wong Hon Fun lineage, he is a little too stiff and some applications are debatable." I've watched some of his tapes and agree with that statement for the most part.

Laughing Buddha