PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Seagal

jimmy23
03-21-2002, 03:09 PM
Action star Steven Seagal sued for $60 million
By Lukas I. Alpert, Associated Press Writer, 03/21/2002 NEW YORK (AP) -- It appears that action movie star Steven Seagal is "Under Siege" again.

Less than three months after being found guilty of slandering a co-worker, the martial arts star is being sued for $60 million in damages by a former business partner for allegedly backing out of a contract to perform in four motion pictures.

The suit, filed in Richmond County Supreme Court by producer Julius R. Nasso, accuses Seagal of breaching a contract to star in the movies, despite the fact that foreign rights to the films had already been sold for more than $25 million.

According to the suit, Nasso accuses Seagal of backing out of his obligations on the advice of a Buddhist spiritual adviser known as Mukara, who convinced Seagal to disassociate himself from his associates and even his children from two marriages.

The suit, filed Tuesday, asserts Mukara convinced Seagal that he could not become a reincarnated lama, or Tulka, unless he distanced himself from those he had associated with.

Seagal's publicist, Michelle Bega, said Wednesday that her client had no immediate comment.

Seagal and Nasso first did business together in 1987, when Nasso handled the international marketing of Seagal's first hit film, "Above the Law," the suit says.

Nasso and Seagal went on to establish Seagal-Nasso Productions Inc., a joint production company, in 1990 to handle distribution and foreign rights sales of Seagal's films.

After serving as associate producer for Seagal's films "Hard to Kill," "Marked for Death" and "Out for Justice" and executive producer for "Under Siege," the suit says, the company signed a four-film deal in 1992 with Warner Bros.

In 1997, the suit says, Seagal and Nasso signed a deal to produce four more films.

Over the next year, Nasso says, he spent nearly $2.5 million to obtain literary rights, buy scripts, take out trade ads to announce the films and expenses incurred while selling foreign rights to the four films.

But Nasso charges that without consulting him, Seagal closed the company's California offices in October 2000.

Nasso claims that Seagal's failure to fulfill his commitments has resulted in substantial financial losses for Nasso and the company.

In December 2001, a California jury found Seagal guilty of slandering a co-worker but decided he did not have to pay any damages.

Seagal's last film was "Exit Wounds," which featured rapper DMX

logic
03-21-2002, 03:23 PM
"Advice of a buddist spiritual adviser known as Mukara,who convinced Seagal to disassociate himself from his associates and even his children"

Sound just like a Cult to me.

Silumkid
03-21-2002, 03:25 PM
Stupid Seagal...movies are for actors, not morons!

Can someone fix him a sandwich and send him on his way, please?

David Jamieson
03-21-2002, 03:25 PM
it will be interesting to see if this is really about "detachment" for him.
he shouldn't mind giving up the money if his goal is to not have attachments.

peace

ewallace
03-21-2002, 03:27 PM
Can someone fix him a sandwich and send him on his way, please?
Can someone fix me a sandwich and send it my way? Bacon would be nice. Some lettuce and a tomato on sourdough bread would be more than appropriate.

Thanks.

Silumkid
03-21-2002, 03:32 PM
I would fix that sandwich for ya, but I think that it would lose something in the transport from CA to TX. Or gain something, depending....

logic
03-21-2002, 03:32 PM
How about some cheese on that sandwich?

Badger
03-21-2002, 03:39 PM
Man. I'm hungry for Subway.

Here comes Jared....
still looking good....
Eating those sanwiches all the time.......

ewallace
03-21-2002, 03:42 PM
Thanks Badger. Your post has inspired me to gain about 150 pounds by eating McDonalds and Taco Bell. Then when I am a complete lard ass, I will eat nothing but Chik-Fil-A and lose all the weight. Then I will be in commercials and they would probably build me my private chik-fil-a that I've always wanted in my new home.

Badger
03-21-2002, 03:53 PM
You will need to get Aides.

Badger

Phil Redmond
03-21-2002, 03:54 PM
Has anyone ever heard the Gene Labell, Steven Seagal story?
Phil
http://www.wingchunkwoon.com

ewallace
03-21-2002, 03:57 PM
You will need to get Aides.
Na, I'll just do a bunch of coke, smoke cigarettes and eat triscuits outside my daily chicken samich.

Silumkid
03-21-2002, 03:58 PM
No Phil...I have not. Please tell. I so hope it involves LeBell choking some of the fat out of Seagal's floppy turkey neck.

Badger
03-21-2002, 03:59 PM
LOL!

ewallace
03-21-2002, 04:00 PM
I hope it made him run. He runs like a girl.

Stranger
03-21-2002, 04:13 PM
HOWEVER , the man knows his aikido and can actually make it work.

rogue
03-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Now I want a Chic-fil-a samij and waffle fries both smothered in their polynesian sauce!:eek:

wu_de36
03-21-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Stranger
HOWEVER , the man knows his aikido and can actually make it work.

he's a wife beater too. should we give him a parade?

Stranger
03-21-2002, 08:36 PM
wu_de36,

Why don't you read a little more into my statement? :rolleyes:

I simply brought up the fact that he is an extremely talented martial artist, in spite of any shortcomings forum members may find with him. I wasn't recommending we honor him in any way, shape, or form. I was just putting out there a factual statement often overlooked when discussing Steven Segal on this forum.
Pardon me for recognizing skill.
When I start a chapter of the Steven Segal fan club, petition for a star on the walk of fame, or have a hunger strike until our nation honors him with a holiday then you can chime in and correct me. In this case, you read more into what I said than is there. Relax and breathe. :p

wu_de36
03-21-2002, 08:46 PM
no, i know what you meant... i'm just grumpy:)

Steven knows his stuff, for **** sure. I don't know why he lets his films get sped up in editing, but ah well. I'll still watch hard to kill every time it is on.

we need more beer here.

wufupaul
03-21-2002, 11:03 PM
I just watched Glimmer Man the other day. Awesome techniques in that movie. I only watch his movies cause they are entertaining, I don't pay much attention to what goes on in an entertainer's personal life. If we were under the spotlight, I'm sure the media would release information about us that could cast us in a negative light as well.

NafAnal
03-22-2002, 08:06 AM
Did anyone else notice dan inosanto in out for justice? I liked his outfit...

Ray Pina
03-22-2002, 08:15 AM
Stupid? How many here can afford to be sued for $60 M. He must be doing something right.

Ah, I'm just one cuban sticking up for another.

Budokan
03-22-2002, 08:24 AM
Seagal *is* a pretty good aikido practitioner. And I want a Spam samij with a cold Corona (and the ubiquitous slice of lime) to go.

Stranger
03-22-2002, 12:58 PM
Dan Inosanto is a HUGE fan of Segal's aikido and preaches it's effectiveness whenever asked. Segal has conducted seminars for Inosanto's students. I base most of my opinion on Segal's technique upon Inosanto's recommendation which carries considerable weight with me. Since I have never personally trained with Segal I rely on secondhand info, albeit from a highly respected source.
If Segal is merely "pretty good", than he has fooled a lot of martial artists more skilled than little old me.
:p

Kuen
03-22-2002, 02:11 PM
ummmmm, didn't Francis Fong ***** slap Seagal for disrespecting Dan Inosanto at a seminar a couple of years ago?

I know Gene LeBelle put a hurting on him for beating up on the extras.

Phil Redmond
03-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Rumor has it that on a movie set Seagal was abusing the stuntmen. Gene Labell upset at their treatment asked Seagal to try that with him. Seagal got choked out of course. Don't know if it's true or not but my friend swears by it.
Phil

Stranger
03-22-2002, 02:36 PM
I don't know what Segal has said about Inosanto, but I do know what Inosanto has said about Segal (as quoted in print without objection from Inosanto).

Perhaps they had a falling out, I couldn't really say. Regardless, it does not erase what Inosanto has said in the past (words to the following effect: Segal knew how to apply aikido for real, Segal's irimi takedowns were devastating and some of the hardest takedown he (Inosanto) had experienced (remember Inosanto has trained in silat extensively which is known for its hard takedowns), and he spoke in awe of Segal's first BB test held in America (they were carrying people off the tatami with injuries that required medical attention- but Segal refused to let anybody wear a BB in his name if they could not defend themselves for real). < None of these are my words, they are words attributed to Inosanto.

Maybe Inosanto said all of those nice things and Segal responded with ignorance. I don't know what happened behind closed doors, but I know what has been put to print without protest.

logic
03-22-2002, 05:09 PM
Where's My Sandwich!:mad:

DelicateSound
03-22-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Budokan
And I want a Spam samij with a cold Corona (and the ubiquitous slice of lime) to go.

Stop it! The sandwiches I can resist but the beer............

Corona is beautiful. But Newcastle Brown Ale is the dogs balearics. Or good old fashioned Bass. Or maybe Old Speckle Hen............ [begins to drift into beer-orientated slobbering coma]

......... and Bombadeer, and Grolsch, and Fosters, and Molson.....

............................. and Joules'........................................... .........

.............[sound of slobbering] .....................

jimmy23
03-22-2002, 08:04 PM
"HOWEVER , the man knows his aikido and can actually make it work"

maybe, maybe not. I respect Inosanto as a martial artist, but lets face it, its a great business decison to associate with Seagal, and Danny is a businessman.

Seagal is chubby now, and theres a reason they so many speed ups and film tricks in his fight scenes

Qi dup
03-22-2002, 08:19 PM
Old Speckled Hen is great, it's all I drank last time I was in England.

Silumkid
03-22-2002, 10:29 PM
Thanks Phil! It's not often I get what I hope for! You made my night! :D

Stacey
03-23-2002, 10:55 AM
hush now, gossip is poison. We can do better than this.

Asia
03-23-2002, 11:57 AM
Met Seagal when he was doing a BAD japanes noodle commercial. I still don't know what his beating up bikers and throwing them out so a shop has to do with noodles but oh well!