PDA

View Full Version : Dedication to your Kwoon.

logic
03-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Most of the time I would help out my sifu with events and demos.He seems to always expects a certain group of us to put on displays to promote our style and kwoon.Like parades,Fairs,Super Sunday(Thats something our town has about twice a year)music fest,ETC. I respect our kwoon and my sifu. In the past I would help out as much as possible.But lately it seems I don't have any time to enjoy any of these events because it's like I'm working for the kwoon.I love Kung Fu/ Martial Arts, but I don't think I have to be commited to prove it.My sifu is also a friend and I think I going to tell him this.I hope he doesn't get to disappointed and I will still help out at SOME of the events.I believe I'm doing the right thing.

dezhen2001
03-21-2002, 04:50 PM
I think you should just do whatever you can, whenever you can spare the time. I try to help my Sifu as much as i can, because i can see how much pressure he has on himself. But i can't do it all the time (wish i could), i have ot study and try to earn money so i can live. I'm sure your Sifu would understand if you tlaked with him about it...

david

HuangKaiVun
03-22-2002, 06:21 AM
Friends understand when friends need to attend to themselves.

shaolinboxer
03-22-2002, 07:45 AM
It should be fine. Remember, there's always an ambitious kid waiting to take your place ;).

"I love Kung Fu/ Martial Arts, but I don't think I have to be commited to prove it."

Prove to who? One of the great things you can learn from marial arts is that you don't have anything to prove to anybody, except perhaps yourself. Training is a life long endeavor. Whether at your kwoon or in your living room, your training is your own.

If you need to take a step back, it is because you really are dedicated to what is important in your martial arts. You should be proud you understand yourself enough to know what it is you need to move forward.

Ray Pina
03-22-2002, 08:12 AM
I was the same way at my old school -- always the one under the lion. However, I did get things in return. Friday nights were resrved for these type of students where we could work on what we wanted, maybe only 3 or 4 of us. So one hands washes the other. It does get frustrating at times though, like: :Where is everybody else."

But the truth of the matter most don't care. Kung Fu is like little league, its soemthing to do at the time.

My master now doesn't do lion dancing and it such a nice chnage of pace this year. But, at the same time I would do anything he asked of me. I know I pay him for lessons but I never look at it in this light. He is a man with a lot of knowledge and he shares it with me. He could show less, he could hold back. He is open and straight forward and I respect that. I wish I could mop his floor or do more, but his disciple is always on top of this and she won't let anyone help.

How's that? I want to help out and cant, she's always beating me too it but then again she practically lives at the school.

Do what you can when you can. Your teacher will know if its sincere.

dezhen2001
03-22-2002, 08:47 AM
A very sincere and well thought out post Evolution Fist :)

david

TenTigers
03-24-2002, 08:38 AM
Depends on the Sifu, Evo. I was also the one who was at every lion danceunder the head for the hung-pow,then back on the drums, for my former Sifu. I demonstrated at every demo,-(to the point of getting coverage at my own school so I could help) usually three or four sets. I helped with classes all day,(after teaching at my own school) I helped promote his school, tried to set the example and be a good role model,even let Sifu "use" my guys to assist in his lion dances and demos, and even loan students to him for demos. This is what I thought was being the model student and suporting my kwoon. Unfortunately, I later found out that behind my back, he was ridiculing me to my hing-dai, saying what a sucker i was, and that he only was using me for my students, and for demos. Live and learn, I suppose.

logic
03-24-2002, 12:54 PM
What a disappointment TenTigers.I'm sorry to hear that.
Thats the thanks you get from ungreatfull ******** like that.

It just goes to show, there are jerks everywhere.Even a sifu can be one.

HuangKaiVun
03-24-2002, 09:14 PM
TenTigers and I had the same sifu at one point.

I wasn't around long enough to verify the sifu's actions, but I could totally imagine it since I studied with that same sifu. Unlike him, I didn't stick with that sifu because I knew in my heart that this sifu was not for ME.

Also, I trained with TenTigers and will state that he's every bit as dedicated as a student could/should be. At the time, TenTigers had his own school but was honoring this sifu with his presence in classes. I benefited directly from TenTigers' skill and knowledge.

A student should be dedicated, but that doesn't give the sifu the right to ABUSE that dedication.

Ray Pina
03-25-2002, 07:22 AM
I think I know who Ten Tiger's might be, or at least know someone from LI in the same extact boat. I saw it first hand, and it was not right. The person I'm speaking about is one of the hardest training poeple I know.

That sifu was not a good sifu, though he has a lot of knowledge.

TenTigers
03-25-2002, 09:36 AM
Thank -You Hing-Dai (my Kung-Fu brothers) you honor me. (garsh!);-)

guohuen
03-25-2002, 09:55 AM
Man! Ten Tigers, it makes me sick to my stomach just to think about being treated like that. What a sorry tool! I wouldn't even treat people I disliked, (which is very few) like that. A person with character usually treats people they dislike more fairly than those they like! I repeat, what a sorry tool! I have been blessed in that four of my five teachers have left me with something of their character to emulate. This has been even more important to me than the techniques they taught me.