PDA

View Full Version : Att: Tae Li

Water Dragon
03-21-2002, 03:55 PM
What are your thoughts on the new "competitiveness" people are talking about in Tae Kwon Do?

How do you see this affecting/changing the art?

What exactly IS this new emphasis?

Thanks in advance

ewallace
03-21-2002, 03:58 PM
she doesn't have to rhyme does she?

Tae Li
03-21-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
What are your thoughts on the new "competitiveness" people are talking about in Tae Kwon Do?

How do you see this affecting/changing the art?

What exactly IS this new emphasis?

Thanks in advance

wow, im getting lots of "att: Tae Li", ive never had so much attention before..lol, ok ok im lying.

right! back to your questions! (il do my best not to make it ryhme)

well, TKD today is very very very very common, some reasons being; its a simplier yet effective form of martial arts, and now its an Olympic sport, so you can kick peoples arse on national televison become famous AND get a medal for it!

I think that because the sport has become so overly populated clearly not everyone is going to come out on top! so there is a new drive or effort to win at every possible moment. I think when it wasnt an olympic sport, people still trained really really hard but in a different way, more for personal confidence not for the urge to win in comps and stuff.

Although this new competitive attitude is good foe fighters in terms of winning, but no one knows enough anymore about he 'OTHER' side of TKD, the tadional patterns and self defence techniques and stuff like that. They focus on perfecting a few good kicks, boast about their belt colour and use just those kicks in fighting. Luckily my instuctor MAKES US learn those patterns that im talking about which people dont even think exist in TKD because its become such a competitive sport...

TKD as evident on this forum by some has beenabit of a 'joke' martial art, the reason being is because of the way its represented, i mean even as an olympic sport, you throw a few good icks and you win gold, its great in that sense but people have forgotton that ALL arts do have a tradional history that comes along with the art, and now there are so many unqualified teachers and stuff , just because they won a few tournalments they start teaching but really they know NOTHING about TKD and think that by teaching a few kicks and telling their students its all about wining wining wining then they are doing a good job! i disagree with that entirely.

I dont know if i answered your question, but thats what i think anyway.:)

ewallace: TKD is a sport, where people can compete,
the problem is, its not about defeat,
you train and train and train and train
and suffer through tremendous pain
and win the fight and reward yourself with a piece of meat? ok ok, im a terible poet! lol

Tae Li
;)

dezhen2001
03-21-2002, 04:31 PM
TKD is a sport, where people can compete,
the problem is, its not about defeat,
you train and train and train and train
and suffer through tremendous pain
and win the fight and reward yourself with a piece of meat?

how about: and win the fight by kicking with your feet (?)
Where's KC Elbows when u need him :D

david

ewallace
03-21-2002, 04:48 PM
errrrrrrrrRRRRRRRR daaamnit. Stop it right now!