PDA

View Full Version : Concerning "short range power"

IronFist
03-21-2002, 06:06 PM
1. Does anyone here find that practicing short range power (like how when you do SLT you only use force on the last instant) or one inch punch type stuff, that while you develop in short range power, you cannot apply the same practice to longer range power? For example, you may be able to generate a very strong punch from only 3 inches away, but from a longer range punch (say 12-18 inches) you either can't generate any more power, or you fail to generate even as much as with the shorter one?

2. Do you find that, when perforning short range strikes, you are able to generate more power if your arm is closer to full extension at the beginning of the movement? For example, if you were to throw a punch where your hand was only allowed to travel 3 inches total, could you generate more power if you started 3 inches from full extension versus starting with your elbow at a 90 degree angle (and therefore not being close to extension at the completion of the punch)?

3. As for the "one inch punch," I've seen it performed many times and many different ways, and I must say that I think many of them do not count as true "one inch punches." But rather than naming individual names, let me just ask this: which of the following would you consider to be legit one inch punches (from a distance of one finger away, which is technically more than one inch, but it doesn't matter here)?

a) The guy starts with his hand the finger's length away from the board. He quickly jerks his hand back 3 or 4 inches and then breaks the board. This is the most common, and often is only noticable when you tape it and then play it back in slow motion.

b) The guy starts with his hand the finger's length away from the board. His arm is almost straight. He performs the punch by going only forward (no retraction first as in the above example) and ends the punch with his arm straight. The fist moved a total of 1 or 2 inches forward.

c) The guy starts with his hand the finger's length away from the board. His elbow is down by his side, and his elbow is bent almost 90 degrees. He performs the punch and breaks the board, but he complete extends his arm during the movement (remember the board was only one fingers length away, but his fist moved probably a total of 8-12 inches: 1 inch to the board, and then 7 inches follow through after that).

What do you think?

IronFist

arsenal_fc
03-21-2002, 06:09 PM
In these examples, what are the feet doing?

IronFist
03-21-2002, 06:18 PM
The weight can shift on the feet, but in no examples are any steps taken. So, the feet are stationary, but they might turn a little if you want. Otherwise you can say they stay put and don't move at all.

Does that help?

IronFist

[Censored]
03-21-2002, 06:19 PM
For example, you may be able to generate a very strong punch from only 3 inches away, but from a longer range punch (say 12-18 inches) you either can't generate any more power, or you fail to generate even as much as with the shorter one?

If your body understands how to generate short-range power, why would you expect to increase your power by increasing the distance?

If I fly across the country, take a cab to your house, run up to your doorstep, and then finally punch you in the gut...will that punch be 10000 times harder for all my travel? I doubt it. :) The energy of the motion is diluted by the time of the motion.

arsenal_fc
03-21-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Does that help?

IronFist

Yes, I was wondering if any steps were taken.

dezhen2001
03-21-2002, 06:26 PM
if you can generate short range power, the ditance you move shouldn't matter, as you will only use your energy at the last moment. I think...?

david

Alpha Dog
03-21-2002, 06:36 PM
No hands.

Any power from a punch comes from what the feet are doing.

arsenal_fc
03-21-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
if you can generate short range power, the ditance you move shouldn't matter, as you will only use your energy at the last moment. I think...?

david

I was sort of referring to stepping but not moving forward.

OdderMensch
03-21-2002, 07:05 PM
In the second example, sohuld I assume they broke the board?
neat but the best demo for short power is fist on body IMHO.

as to your first question you learn to do that more later in the system (Biu Jee for example) but the concept is in SLT and CK of course.

IronFist
03-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Yeah, they all broke the board.

IronFist

Sabu
03-21-2002, 08:14 PM
AlphaDog slapped the nail in the face...

It is important to examine how one generates power in one range versus the other. Where does the power come from? Love? Perhaps, but one must also examine how the hips, stance and torso are utilized in both cases. They are quite different, kind sir. I learned this from elephant.

IronFist
03-22-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Alpha Dog
No hands.

Any power from a punch comes from what the feet are doing.

Um, alright, but the feet don't necessarily have to change their position to generate power. I can do a one inch punch from one inch away and keep my feet this way: My left foot stays where it is, my right foot starts on the toes and gets stomped down. Neither foot moves it's position.

Now that I think about it, I can do it with just waist turning, too, without moving my feet at all.

So, for a one inch punch you don't really have to move your feet at all. Just your waist.

But I was concerned about how far the fist actually travels forward in a one inch punch, and how that classifies it as a "one inch punch" or not. In this manner I am not really worried about what the feet are doing.

IronFist

Mr Punch
03-22-2002, 06:10 AM
It still comes from the feet. If you're 'just' using your waist, your feet have got to be rooted. Try getting the same power with both of your feet 'floating'. You won't get it. It's possible to get a powerful punch with one foot rooted, and the other one maybe not so, but the energy is still generated from what your feet are doing.

The ankle is one of the few joints in the body that is connected by muscles that work both ways : your foot can 'pull' itself into the floor... so, the energy is still coming up from the heel (or I've read in some wc styles the balls of the feet, but it's still rooting).

If you're stepping, you should root at the same instant as the punch connecting.

Mr Punch
03-22-2002, 06:12 AM
IronFist: What's NOS? Nitrous oxides?;) :) :D :D :D :p heeee!

yenhoi
03-22-2002, 01:13 PM
1) No. Distance shouldent really matter if your mechanics are correct.

2)No - 'cause you only 'use power' at the 'end' of your strike movement.

3) I think a is fake, b and c seem to be the same thing.

Also the whole demonstration one-inch where the guy one-inch punches another dude RIGHT on the tip or the solar plexus, and the guy who gets hit flys like 12 feet to the floor, not exactly a scam, but pretty much no matter how you hit the tip of the solar plexus, if you do it hard enough, the other guy will fly, Im sure the exact mechanics of why is for another thread. NOW - if someone puts some sort of protection over the tip of the solar plexus and slams it, and still sends someone flying, then that is true one-inch power. Just a brief note.

IronFist
03-22-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Mat
IronFist: What's NOS? Nitrous oxides?;) :) :D :D :D :p heeee!

Yep. Like what they use for racing a la Fast and the Furious.

IronFist

sanchezero
03-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Are they square to the target ala YGKYM or in a kinda 'kick boxer 45' stance.

I find if I'm ****ed at an angle, the push off the back foot lets me toss off wicked evil 1 in punches :D They scare the sh!t outta all my friends.

However, I believe the truth in how much power I can really generate is shown when I'm totally square to my victim. The HOLY SH!T factor goes way down. :o

hunt1
03-23-2002, 02:31 AM
Breaking a board is nice but is a gimmick.Really doesnt show anything unless board is suspended.If it is held on 2 sides my 5 year old could break it.

Only one real demonstration of short power.Stand in horse stance, fully extend arm,place palm on pad,phone book or crossed hands across chest and strike .No pull back, arm must be straight palm flat and must remain that way.