PDA

View Full Version : question about trolls

rubthebuddha
03-22-2002, 12:56 AM
i got a question for each of you, and i want your honest opinion:

sometimes it seems to me like some of these trolling threads that say, "look at this neat new website" can easily just be the instructor for that school trying to drum up attention for their school.

now does this seem like a possibility?

honestly, the pjo crap about his da shifu to me seems more like a dumb****, dishonest instructor who pretends to be a student who is awed at the mastery of his instructor, only hoping to bring attention to the school. i've wondered this about a few other schools, but those times it was usually just rolls or some other ass trying to tease us.

now any person dishonest enough to make up this "da mo still lives within me" crock would probably not hesitate to make up an identity to drum up attention for their school. this seems to me like something far worse than a troll teasing us or a naive student getting reamed.

your thoughts, please. the mere idea of this happening really bothers me.

jon
03-22-2002, 01:17 AM
The bad:
It happens proberly more reguarly than we would like to think.

The good:
After reading that thread i dont think they will be getting to many potensial students from KFO. If that was his purpose it has done more harm than good.

I believe it to be the lowest from of trolling:( Some trolls are actualy quite intelligent and try to feed debate by bringing out emotion and what people know and dont know. I wont name to many names but there have been some great examples of this kind of trolling over the years and dare i say it Ralek was proberly one of the best of them.

The other type is the ones who seek a particular goal whether its to put there own agenda in a better position or to attack someone elses position. This was seen in a nasty way recently on the southern forum with all the 'Public Challenge" threads.

The first type of troll i really enjoy and think they actualy provide a positive role as they make people think harder about how and why they do things. The second type i could really live without.
'Ling Kong Jing' threads on the internal forum anyone(cough MOONEY cough)?

Mr Punch
03-22-2002, 02:45 AM
OK so I'm still fairly new to this forum, but I'd been lurking for long enough to get to know y'all loverly people :cool: ... I know you haven't had a good troll/moron on the forum for a wee while, but the thing that worries me is that ewallace, wushu chik and a few others were calling troll way back on page 3 of the thread... then everybody proceeded to give this chump a 7 page LESSON in how to go about REALLY fooling people.

This 'man' was too measured in his response to a solid verbal beating to be innocent: he offered a bs site for a bs school, trying to bs people into joining it. He may have been looking for students from kfo, but he won't have much problem getting students from less-informed areas, few McKwoons do. This is:

1)dangerous to any potential students,
2)bringing ALL kungfu into disrepute.

Next time worthy kfos, please don't humour this kind of sh1t.:(
Call TROLL and let it go.

ewallace
03-22-2002, 08:12 AM
Just to clear my name I never said PJO was a troll. In fact I was the first to claim that I did not believe he was a troll. I did call bullsh!t and McKwoon because that is exactly what it was.

I don't particularily like to call out someone as a troll. If the TIQ is being an ass I may say something. I am not a member of the WWATB. I am the president and founder of the WWABSF , a non-profit foundation. I will call bullsh!t when I see it.

Mutant
03-22-2002, 09:20 AM
"... then everybody proceeded to give this chump a 7 page LESSON in how to go about REALLY fooling people."

Mat;
Ummm....good point. Still not sure if pjo was a full fledged troll...but if he was, now he can fool even more people in the future. Oh well, sux for the people out in oregon....wushu chik should send some of her minions over to his school to take care of him...

yeah, trolls are jackoffs, but I actually kind of miss ralek lately, at least he was good comic relief :D

dezhen2001
03-22-2002, 09:35 AM
most of the posts in that thread were asking questions, trying to find out about the school and the person in question. Also talking about history and other things (the difference between animal styles for example).

IMO that wasn't a troll, it was just the same as i was around 6 or 7 years ago.I thought my school was the supreme ultimate, special style... unfortunately as we all (generally) have a head, 2 arms and 2 legs, it wasn't. In fact, a lot of schools are very similar.

Also, a thread like this can help any other newbies who come online looking for a school, and maybe help them to avoid the pitfalls many of us have made before. I think it's a good thing personally. Maybe we can't help that guy (especially if he was a troll), but our posts may help others find information and keep an open mind...

just my opinion,
david