PDA

View Full Version : Jaw punch breaks pinky knuckle

Tainan Mantis
03-22-2002, 05:10 AM
For example:
A right hook to the opponents jaw can break the long bone behind the pinky knuckle. The long bone breaks in the middle and pops out like a broken pencil.

Can anyone say the name of this condition? Slang and medical terms are both ok.

Does anyone have experience to share concerning this type of injury?

sean_stonehart
03-22-2002, 05:23 AM
Compound fracture?

BDKF
03-22-2002, 05:32 AM
It would be an open fracture of the 5th metacarpal. It is sometimes referred to as a "Boxer's fracture".

Sharky
03-22-2002, 09:00 AM
Can anyone please describe the proper way that a hook (without gloves) is supposed to be thrown, the mechanics and also what part of the fist should make contact, whether the wrist is bent or not, and is the forarm parrallel to the ground or not etc...

MightyB
03-22-2002, 09:09 AM
In 7*PM, we have what is called a "Huen Choi". It's a circular strike similar to a boxer's hook except that your fist is rolled over so that the top knuckles of the index and ring fingers make contact to the opponent.

Former castleva
03-22-2002, 09:13 AM
If you have at least some conditioning-a strong hand,you form your fist properly and keep your forearm/wrist straight (my own idea actually,to protect yourself) you may not have to worry.
REMEMBER!:W

Former castleva
03-22-2002, 09:17 AM
If you have at least some conditioning-a strong hand,you form your fist properly and keep your forearm/wrist straight (my own idea actually,to protect yourself) you may not have to worry.
REMEMBER!:When striking jaw/chin,go for the peak (for it is a weak part of jaw,so it is that precious chin,not your arm that is going to break;) or knock-out,or even kill-if that is your goal,hard to say though)
OR:you can use your palm heel to strike,less change of breaking your arm,may not be as effective for knock-out,but allows you to unbalance him,strike his throat or break neck.

JWTAYLOR
03-22-2002, 09:35 AM
As said earlier, you have described what is commonly known as a "boxer's fracture". Take a look at my left hand and you'll see a knuckle missing on my ring finger. That's the tell tale sign that someone has had a boxer's fracture.

The way to keep this from happening and to throw nice, tight, effective hook is to keep your knuckles lined up perpendicular the ground and keep your forearm and your bicep at an acute angle. Your arm should be relatively perpendicular to the floor. Your first two knuckles should make contact with the target.

JWT

Justa Man
03-22-2002, 10:07 AM
yea, that's what i was thinking. it's just a matter of landing your punch the right way, with the first 2 knuckles. at least from a boxer's standpoint.

Former castleva
03-22-2002, 12:26 PM
YEAH!
Forgot about the main thing!:use knuckles of index -and middle finger.