PDA

View Full Version : Pak Mei and Jackie Chan

Third Degree
03-22-2002, 04:17 PM
An ultimately useless first post but I'm gonna start it anyway!

I happened to watch Jackie Chan's "My Story" and on it he rattled off the styles he did and lastly he mentioned Pak Mei. He says something like "and in the end I liked Bak Mei" and did a very quick demo of the starting salutation, said "bak mei is with the teeth", sort of points to his hip and stamps on the ground.

Also, I read an internet interview and again he mentions Pak Mei. Jackie Chan says "I concentrated quite heavily on white eyebrow style". Considering this is the man who used to train for 15 hours a day for 10 years, the words "concentrated quite heavily" stand out as he must have put in a lot of work into learning Pak Mei.

So....

Does anyone know who taught Pak Mei to Jackie Chan?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this (useless) thread!!

fiercest tiger
03-22-2002, 09:10 PM
i saw him do a bad ying jow lin kuil form or what it was trying to look like.

hahah

dezhen2001
03-23-2002, 08:02 AM
chances are it would be after he left the Opera school, as i can't imagine Pak Mei being used in an Opera show!:eek:

have you tried emailing him thru his website? ;)

david

Tigerlilly
03-23-2002, 04:25 PM
Have you read his biography? "I am Jackie Chan My Life in Action" He talks about having more than one martial arts instructor at the opera school, but doesn't mention what kind of MA. At the end of the book, it not only lists all his movies, but his injuries too.One of the things that interested me, was that his first martial art was learned from his father at age 3. His father was of the Shandong northern clan. So his first martial art was black tiger most likely.

Pakmei
03-25-2002, 02:07 AM
Actually Jackie Chan was taught by my Sifu Tang Cho Tak when Jackie Chan was a stunt man in the Hong Kong film industry.

I believe that from what my Sifu has told me, Jackie learnt the Sup Jee Kuen and the obvious basics of the style.

Back in those days of the Shaw Brother films ALL stunt men and women had to train in many different styles in order to be able to get into character.

If you watch Jackies films closely, you will see that he uses alot of Pak Mei techniques in the fight scenes.

Pakmei
03-25-2002, 04:49 AM
Also from what my Sifu has told me, Jackie was on some TV chat show in Hong Kong a long time ago, when he was starting to become popular.

The interviewer ask Jackie to demonstrate a form that he knew.

Apparently, he demonstrated the whole of the Sup Jee Kuen in fornt of a live audience.

Unfortunately I do not know what the chat show was called or who interviewed Jackie as it was certainly very long time ago.

The only reason I know all this information is because I have seen the evidence like photos of my master teaching Jackie back in Hong Kong at Chuen Lai Chuen's school.

Plus on the ocassions that Jackie comes to UK, he has Dim Sum with my Sifu.