PDA

View Full Version : I guess this is Reality

tnwingtsun
03-22-2002, 05:55 PM
This is wild...
Anyone remember this??
It was 1987!

At a lecture the other day they played an old news video of Lt.
Col.Oliver North testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the
Reagan Administration. There was Ollie in front of God and country
getting the third degree, but what he said was stunning!

He was being drilled by some senator; "Did you not recently spend
> close
to $60,000 for a home security system?" Ollie
replied,"Yes, I did, Sir."
The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience,"
Isn't
that just a little excessive?"

"No, sir," continued Ollie.

"No? And why not?" the senator asked.

"Because the lives of my family and I were threatened, sir"
"Threatened? By whom?" the senator questioned.

"By a terrorist, sir" Ollie answered.

"Terrorist? What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?"

"His name is Osama bin Laden, sir" Ollie replied.

At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn't
pronounce it, which most people back then probably couldn't. A
couple of people laughed at the attempt. Then the senator continued.
"Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

"Because, sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of",
Ollie
answered.

"And what do you recommend we do about him?" asked the senator.

"Well, sir, if it was up to me, I would recommend that an assassin
team
be formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the
earth."

The senator disagreed with this approach, and that was all that was
shown of the clip.

If anyone is interested, the senator turned out to be none other
than
Al Gore.

Imagine if he were president right now.

Stacey
03-22-2002, 08:40 PM
As opposed to what? Our current glory?

Besides, hindsight is 20/20. Your just as responsible for not knowing ahead of time and cutting his throat.

People get bunkers every few years because the world is ending, should the governement brace itself for armegeddon?

Chris McKinley
03-23-2002, 01:17 AM
I have to agree here. This story is simply ironic, or at least poignant. None of us could have been expected to respond what we now know to be correctly back in those days. That's kinda like pointing the finger of blame on the cop who stopped Hitler for a speeding ticket when he was 18 and saying he should have known better.

Besides, aren't there OH so many other reasons to be thankful Gore isn't President than just that he wasn't clairvoyant in 1987?

sticky fingers
03-24-2002, 12:52 AM
Another Urban Legend

http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/north.htm

joedoe
03-24-2002, 05:10 PM
Don't you love urban legends? They do keep life interesting :)

myosimka
03-25-2002, 07:23 AM
I particularly love the way the legends grow. Started as a pro-Ollie story and has become a bash Al Gore story.

I guess the thing that amazes me is someone takes the time to make this crap up in the first place. Someone sat down and took the time to type up that email and send it out.

But then again it did sucker in several people here. So I guess this sort of crap is an effective political tool.

guohuen
03-25-2002, 08:18 AM
Used to be if you commited an act of treason you were executed. Now you get a talk show. Please let's not give that treasonous arsehole any more publicity.

Nthman
03-25-2002, 09:34 AM
Good god people.....weren't we supporting Osama back then anyway? Or was that earlier? I remember watching the hearings back in 87' and let me say the world would have been better off had my dad turned it off and let me watch cartoons or something...eheh heh heh ok well maybe not.

myosimka
03-25-2002, 09:41 AM
Guohuen-treason might be a bit severe. Lying duplicitous *******, sure but traitor? Worse than the talk show in my mind was his 1994 run at a Senate seat. Fortunately even in Virginia we're not that gullible.

myosimka
03-25-2002, 09:46 AM
ok this filter is ridiculous. bast ard is outlawed??

guohuen
03-26-2002, 08:39 AM
I was worried! After all, they did elect John Warner.:D
North's personal motto should be "non gratis anus ratium" rather than "sempre fidelis"

Budokan
03-27-2002, 07:21 AM
Gotta love how those conservatives look out for one another, especially how they often seem to become gainfully employed (and respected by the GOP) after breaking the laws of this country.

Shred the Constitution and Ollie North has a job. (I loved it how after he got his clock cleaned in VA during his race he was so devastated he hid out in his house for weeks. What a gutless, whining loser.)

Plan arson and become one of the architects for Watergate (and the subsequent downfall of a presidency) and Erlichman has a job. (Preaching to the religious right. Well, they deserve him.)

Plan kidnapping and extortion and that reject from a Mr. Clean commercial Liddy has a job. (Gotta love this paranoid ba$tard who ate rat meat when he was a teenager and held his hand over open flames at parties. Man, those conservatives really know how to swing, don't they? I bet they get laid a lot. No, I guess they don't, unless you count going down on Marge Schott and ma$turbating with the flag 'getting laid' in Republican parlance.)

Lay his fat a$$ on the couch while on the dole from the Federal government and before you know it Limbaugh has a job decrying the very same thing. (Now with this new ear implant we're told he can hear again. Strange. That fat rat has never listened to anything but the hate-mongering voices in his swelled head....)

Snort coke like Al Pacino in "Scarface", drive drunk, lie about your National Guard Service, use your Daddy's influence to get into the National Guard so you won't have to get shot at in the 'Nam, run a business slap into the ground, have other people make your decisions for you, and then steal an election by letting the conservatively packed Supreme Court "select" you.

Well, he likes baseball, so even Dubya can't be ALL bad.
:p

myosimka
03-27-2002, 12:42 PM
ROTFLMAO

Budokan, stop that stuff. I have coworkers asking about the spit take I did when I read that.

rogue
03-31-2002, 03:03 PM
Ollie has shot down that story himself.

Budokan, it's time to move on. Bush is in, Clinton and Gore are out, and the world is a better place for it. My God if Gore had won, Clinton would still be in the White House giving the guy tips on how to bomb aspirin factories and abondoned terrorist camps.

Budokan
03-31-2002, 08:37 PM
A ridiculous statement like that simply illuminates how wrong-headed and mean-spirited conservative Republicans are. It also points out better than anything else how conservatives haven't gotten over their consuming hatred of Clinton, Gore and anything and everything left of a middle-aged white male Fascistic State.

Sorry, but I ain't gonna let it go. That rat f*ck stole the election. Case closed.

But, I still wuv you, Rogue.;)

Radhnoti
03-31-2002, 10:08 PM
We live in a Republic, not a democracy. Gore won the popular vote, Bush (verified by the much hated liberal media, though not widely broadcast) won the electoral votes. It's happened before in our country, and it'll probably happen again. Personally, I'm glad we're in a republic...it's the only way smaller states and areas are going to get any attention. Why give smaller states anything if everything is based on straight number of voters? Just go to the cities and campaign and make sure you pump all the tax money directly into those same cities and you'd never lose an election. But then, don't be surprised when all the little places rise up and revolt. Nah, our system works as well as is possible...which is why the Founders set it up that way.

Everyone can tear down the opposition's political individuals/scandals all they want. Fact is, in today's society being a political figure pretty much means you're a w-hore and an opportunist...a power mad, lying, unprincipaled leech upon society.

Ok...maybe I went too far...or maybe not. ;)

But, both political sides have their embarrassing individuals. I mean, C'mon Budokan even you have to admit to the humor of Jesse Jackson pastoring to Bill Clinton about his indiscretions while carrying on an active affair that resulted in a lovechild. How about Gary Conduit? Or the Kennedy ability to dodge charges of rape (the nephew) or murder (everyone knows why Ted never ran for president, right?)

And, looking past the severity of Budokan's language, there's a grain of truth in all of his assessments.

Both sides have their pluses and minuses, you just have to figure out which side has more pluses. Personally, I think I'm gonna start voting third party. :)

chingei
04-01-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Budokan
Gotta love how those conservatives look out for one another, especially how they often seem to become gainfully employed (and respected by the GOP) after breaking the laws of this country.

oh, more hypocrisy from the left. with plenty of drama thrown in for good effect. I'll bet you were fighting back the tears as you wrote.

joedoe
04-01-2002, 05:28 PM
And this is why my mother always taught me not to discuss politics. :)

jmdrake
04-03-2002, 01:36 PM
Cute story. Complete bullcrap but cute. The fact is that the "terrorist" that Ollie North referred to in his speech was NOT Osama Bin Laden, but Abu Nidal. Back in 1987 Bin Ladin was the ALLY of the United States! He was one of those "shadow warriors" that little Ollie North would have been supplying weapons too. Remember that Osama Bin Laden was one of the foreign members of the "mujahadein" that ousted the Soviets from Afganastan. But the Soviets didn't pull out until 1987. It wasn't until years later after the Gulf War that Bin Laden quit hating the USSR (which no longer existed) and started hating the USA. So if anything, an "Al Gore" would have given Ollie North grief for supplying weapons to Osama Bin Laden, rather than spending money on a security system to defend against him. (And yes, I know that on the record the "shadow war" that Ollie was a part of was in Nigaragua as opposed to Afganastan, but the principle is the same.)

Regards,

John M. Drake

P.S. It's quite sad that so many of my fellow Americans are so weak on our own history (even RECENT history) as to fall for such as ridiculous story.

Originally posted by tnwingtsun
This is wild...
Anyone remember this??
It was 1987!

At a lecture the other day they played an old news video of Lt.
Col.Oliver North testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the
Reagan Administration. There was Ollie in front of God and country
getting the third degree, but what he said was stunning!

He was being drilled by some senator; "Did you not recently spend
> close
to $60,000 for a home security system?" Ollie
replied,"Yes, I did, Sir."
The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience,"
Isn't
that just a little excessive?"

"No, sir," continued Ollie.

"No? And why not?" the senator asked.

"Because the lives of my family and I were threatened, sir"
"Threatened? By whom?" the senator questioned.

"By a terrorist, sir" Ollie answered.

"Terrorist? What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?"

"His name is Osama bin Laden, sir" Ollie replied.

At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn't
pronounce it, which most people back then probably couldn't. A
couple of people laughed at the attempt. Then the senator continued.
"Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

"Because, sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of",
Ollie
answered.

"And what do you recommend we do about him?" asked the senator.

"Well, sir, if it was up to me, I would recommend that an assassin
team
be formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the
earth."

The senator disagreed with this approach, and that was all that was
shown of the clip.

If anyone is interested, the senator turned out to be none other
than
Al Gore.

Imagine if he were president right now.