PDA

View Full Version : Simon Lau: A Good Instructor?

londoner2001
03-22-2002, 07:00 PM
Has anyone heard of Simon Lau he is quite famous over here in the Uk but that is nothing to go by, is he a good teacher of Wing Chun?

yuanfen
03-22-2002, 08:32 PM
Being known and charging much does not mean anything about wing chun knowledge one way or the other.

Rolling_Hand
03-22-2002, 09:44 PM
It's all right to express an opinion about Simon Lau, but be fair. Don't expect anything that you couldn't deliver yourself.

edward
03-23-2002, 02:51 AM
I hear is under yipman line... i know the steve lee swift is one of his students

hunt1
03-23-2002, 04:48 AM
kinda Yip Man,Lee Sing was his teaher.Its a hard version of WC but effective.he has produced some good fighters in his day.He has a unique personality.

londoner2001
03-23-2002, 05:26 AM
I am not aware of how much he costs I emailed him asking but haven't had a reply yet. When you say hard style of Wing Chun do you mean it is aggressive and there is little emphasis on internal development and internal power? His personality you say is unique is he nice? Is he a disciplinarian I am a great believer in discipline espeically in martial arts where strong discipline leads to good students. Is he very expensive I am 17 at the moment but will be working full time from July.

Thank you for all your replies.

dezhen2001
03-23-2002, 07:52 AM
Why not go round and visit his school? I'm sure you could get all the information you need there? He wrote some articles in Combat magazine a while ago, on Wing Chun and Qigong... dunno if you saw those? his school is successful and has been in S.K for many years. He was featured on BBC's "way of the warrior" show (and book) in the mid 80's.

From what i understand he's meant to be a great person and a good teacher. I dunno this Steven Lee Swift guy (is he form the US?) but i know Simon Lau taught James Sinclair and others.

good luck,

david

londoner2001
03-23-2002, 09:27 AM
I got an email from him, his school is completely full, a good sign of decent teaching. There is a new course starting in May and they are going to send me details. They did not say how much he charges though money is a problem I also have to pay for transport down there.

Anyone know how much he charges?

dezhen2001
03-23-2002, 09:32 AM
why not email or call them again and say that you forgot to ask how much his course would be...? simple way to find out.

david

Rolling_Hand
03-23-2002, 06:26 PM
You never pay enough for a good kung fu Sifu.

londoner2001
03-24-2002, 06:18 PM
I am going to ring tomorrow to see how much the course costs as long as I can afford it I will go, I have seen nothing but positive things written about him. Simon Lau has written hiw own book and appeared on television and has trained some good people, he looks good, only unlucky thing he is quite far away in South Kensington.

dezhen2001
03-24-2002, 06:31 PM
good luck :)

There are also a lot of other people around that area. I also know the Tse Qigong Centre have classes in the centre of London (high street Kensington). Also Victor Kan and some others are close by i am sure?

Anyway, i think you will have made a good choice. Just have to get a travel card for the Tube :)

david

londoner2001
03-24-2002, 06:37 PM
My dad was involved with Michael Tse's books publishing, he is rather expensive and I think Simon Lau is more concerned with Wing Chun michael tse did northern shoalin as well and spends a lot of time at his medicine clinic chargin extortionate prices, but I'm sure he's a good teacher Simon Lau seems like a very intelligent bloke very intellectual I read an article of his earlier on medicine chianese that is he has his head screwed on.

[~T~]G
03-30-2002, 05:25 PM
Simon Lau's lessons are only once a week (1 hour) and he makes you pay around £280 for a beginners course which lasts ~10 weeks....that includes one years membership and uniform. I actually went down to his place and asked if I could watch a lesson.....they said I'd have to join first. Only people with more money than sense would pay that much for tuition without actually seeing how good the teacher is. I worked it out to be well over £10 a lesson (See my other post about WC schools in London)

So he's well known in the UK WC community, but there are also some 'rumours' about some fallout with one of his former students (also a well known teacher in the UK) and how he claimed to be taught by Yip Man.

Personally I wouldnt commit that much money on something that I havent seen for myself.

About Michael Tse...I actually took part in one of his lessons. Although they too are only 1 hr long, I found him to be an extremely good teacher. Lessons are relaxed, there are no warm ups....demonstrations and techniques are practiced, as well as light contact sparring in my first lesson. He charges around £6 (discounts for students) per lesson, with no obligation to join until after 3 lessons.

You could also checkout Victor Kan, hes somewhere near Bank in central London.

Hope this helps,

G

yuanfen
03-30-2002, 10:36 PM
So he's well known in the UK WC community, but there are also some 'rumours' about some fallout with one of his former students (also a well known teacher in the UK) and how he claimed to be taught by Yip Man.
((Well .<g>)))

Personally I wouldnt commit that much money on something that I havent seen for myself.
:D :D

[~T~]G
03-31-2002, 04:46 AM
Yuanfen

I wasn't referring to the 'rumour' in that last remark, if thats what you're suggesting. I'm not a gambling person.

:)

yuanfen
03-31-2002, 06:10 AM
TG-
Understood. I was smiling about anyone mentioning that he
learned from Yip Man! Likely- Another bandwagon!
As I mention, I learned from Leung Jan myself. Ling kong jing
lives- distant and instantanious transmission!

Matrix
03-31-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by [~T~]G
I actually went down to his place and asked if I could watch a lesson.....they said I'd have to join first. I'm always leary of any school where they will no let you watch a class, or more if you wish. It happened to me once, but not at a WC school. Based on this point only I would run, do not walk to another school.

Matrix

londoner2001
03-31-2002, 10:07 AM
Have you thought of one important factor in the case of the price of Simon Lau's lessons:

His centre is in South Kensington(SW7) this is one of THE most expensive areas of London with many houses going for 5 million pounds and upwards, his rent must be astronomical to say th least and the centre is air conditioned and extremely nicely laid out inside, he does cater for a lot of businessmen in the city I think.

I certainly can not afford to pay that amount if it is that which sounds right to me, I presume this is for group teaching, I have written him a letter to see if he will take me on possibly for one hour a week hopefully he will offer a discount of some sort, I showed my knowledge of Wing Chun theory and commmented on articles he has written, I pray he sees some potential in me!

Michael Tse looks good although my dad met him at the conference for the book and he wasn't ultra keen, or was that peter chin kean choi! Not sure, but Tse's class is at an extremely awkward time for me at present. Anyway hopefully I will hear form Simon Lau. He is a chi healer as well well both of them are that would be interesting to learn a little about.

[~T~]G
03-31-2002, 11:23 AM
londoner2001,

I actually live in South Kensington. I know how much properties cost in this area.

The point I was trying to get across is that Simon Lau didn't even let me watch one of his lessons; One of his instructors just took my details and told me I'd have to join before I set foot into his gym. Would you commit ~£280 for lessons when you don't even know how good this teacher actually is, or what his teaching method is like?

Most MA teachers will let you watch or take part in a lesson before you have to join - Simon Lau was the exception.

My advice to you is to go and see for yourself. If you find a teacher to your liking, then your problem is solved.

G

dezhen2001
03-31-2002, 03:51 PM
Micheal Tse (my Sigong) does Qi healing and Qigong therapy as well ;)

hehe, good luck in finding a class. If you can watch a lesson, or try one that would be best. I'm sure all the effort you've put in will be worthwhile in the end :)

david

stuartm
03-31-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by [~T~]G
londoner2001,

I actually live in South Kensington. I know how much properties cost in this area.

The point I was trying to get across is that Simon Lau didn't even let me watch one of his lessons; One of his instructors just took my details and told me I'd have to join before I set foot into his gym. Would you commit ~£280 for lessons when you don't even know how good this teacher actually is, or what his teaching method is like?

Most MA teachers will let you watch or take part in a lesson before you have to join - Simon Lau was the exception.

My advice to you is to go and see for yourself. If you find a teacher to your liking, then your problem is solved.

G

I have to agree - any teacher from any martial art should allow you to watch his class. As a student you should go with what feels right - if you think its not right for you then leave it alone. Many teachers use lineage as an excuse to charge you the earth. Go for competency, decency and honesty, rather than kudos and lineage.

Good Luck, Stuart

Sharky
03-31-2002, 07:16 PM
My experience is this: i phoned his place in Kensington and left a message with my address so he could send me his "pack". I got it quite a while laters and it was a plush booklet telling me all about his air conditioned kwoon, wooden floor blah blah blah. I then looked at the price. WTF?!?!?!!?!!??! and onyl 1 lesson week? and i had to WAIT until the beginners course started in a few weeks?

no thanks.

that is MY experience. i have never met him or been there. i have read a few articles he used to write in combat magazine. he says stuff like "i teach you wing chun and qigong, not how to fight".

his articles are ok.

londoner2001
04-01-2002, 09:04 AM
You live in South Kensington! Unless you live in a rented one bedroom flat(which incidentally in SW7 is £350 a wekk at present rate) you would have the money to pay out 280 pounds no problem. I am currently looking at a thre bed apartment 900 grand in Cromwell Road someone with the dough to buy that could afford 280 pounds, do you work in the City of London by any chance? I have a trial period this summer if I get kept on full time and earn good money I would like private lessons with Simon Lau. I will have to see if he replies to my letter though.

One thing I must say is that my teach let me take part in my first lesson for free to see if I enjoyed it, however, a friend of mine who came and wanted to just watch the lesson to see if he would start was turned away nevermind a free lesson he was not evena llowed to watch this has happened with other people he chooses who he lets watch or try out a lesson, dunno why probably manners and how people present themselves I do definetly agree though that for people to shell out the cash they should be allowed to watch the lesson, yes you are right.

Sharky
04-01-2002, 10:39 AM
He's a fu.cking muppet, in my opinion. And i'd say that to his face.

Plus, he needs a haircut.

PQS
04-01-2002, 11:45 AM
You seem very complimentry about Simon Lau, although you have no Wing Chun experience, are you not just advertising for him, as there is a Victor Kan in school in Hammersmith and there is also other schools in London such as the NWTO, which teach in North London as well as in the City. There is also Austin Goh (not my choice).
If you reckon you can get to Hammersmith from North London you could get anywhere in London to train .eg Kamon and other schools try reading Combat, there is also a W.S.L. lineage in St. Albans
or are you a Troll?

PQS
04-01-2002, 11:53 AM
As Victor Kan you used to say in the '80's
Where you learn that Simon Lau
Nuff Said

[~T~]G
04-01-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by londoner2001
You live in South Kensington! Unless you live in a rented one bedroom flat(which incidentally in SW7 is £350 a wekk at present rate) you would have the money to pay out 280 pounds no problem. I am currently looking at a thre bed apartment 900 grand in Cromwell Road someone with the dough to buy that could afford 280 pounds, do you work in the City of London by any chance?

Have you ever heard of student accommodation??? Londoner2001, if you are just gonna be completely ignorant towards me and rave on about how good Simon Lau is, then I can confidently say that you have already made up your mind and you can go and pay your £280 and take those lessons. I only gave my honest opinion, I didn't expect someone to patronize me.

G

Sharky
04-01-2002, 02:14 PM
"Where you learn that Simon Lau"

;)

londoner2001
04-01-2002, 08:49 PM
Victor Kan Hammersmith, don't think so Lambeth Road SE1 rather a way away from Hammersmith the reason I will not train with Victor Kan is that there is so much dodgy politicsa associated with him and all his estranged students. If simon lau is so bad why is he the one invited to the oxford union and cambridge union and all the international seminars and not victor kan(self proclaimed king of chi sau!). I am guessing you go to Imperial College, correct me if I'm wrong what degree are you doing I know someone there doing I think electrical engineering. I will see if he contacts me I have A-Levels in June so it is a bit of an annoying time to take up Wing Chun but I am making a commitment to start anyone here do northern shoalin by any chance?

black and blue
04-02-2002, 03:23 AM
I train with Kamon. There are loads of classes in and near London.
IMO, they are excellent.

Tuition is £35-40 per month, and you can train at as many clubs as you like. I currently train 12 times a month for my £35. 'Tis good value me thinks.

Whatever the club, anyone is welcome to come visit and take a look and ask questions. Instructors usually pull over a senior student and demo some WC for anyone interested in the club.

Take a look and come along if it fits your needs.

www.kamonwingchun.com

That said, there are many good clubs/organisations in London. Simon is not the only one.
:)

Frank Exchange
04-02-2002, 08:05 AM
>> If simon lau is so bad why is he the one invited to the oxford union and cambridge union and all the international seminars and not victor kan(self proclaimed king of chi sau!). <<

How is this relevant? Oxford and Cambridge Universities are centres of academic excellence, not particularly known for their Martial Arts prowess. Invitation to a University Union is usually extended by the Students Union itself, not the academic institution.

With regards to the Kensington School, what has been said before is true. But, if you can afford it, go for it, he is a "name", for whatever that is worth.

However, one lesson a week seems to little to learn anything really useful. If you cant handle the 20 mins train journey from Kings Cross to the WSL school in St.Albans, then I would check out Victor Kan. Personality and politics aside, his schools teaching is no-nonsense and sound.

PQS
04-03-2002, 04:43 AM
Martin Bell teaches for Victor Kan in Hammersmith at the Emerald Centre on a Monday night and nearer North London Alfie Conn teaches in Harrow also under Victor Kan.
The NWTO have schools in the City and West End and I think the prices are about £42 a month and you can train as often as you want.
There is also a school in Enfield teaching on a Tuesday and a Wednesday by Sifu Ian Morris (don't know anything about him) his phone number is 0966 470 678. In addition there is the Tam yiu Ming Wingtjun Kung fu Acadamy who teach in London but I don't know where or what the standard is like tel No. 0208 361 0470 or email Tamyiuming@hotmail.com Clive Potter and Anthony Kan's Wong shun Lueng school has a good reputation most of these came out of "Combat" some I have some small knowledge on
Good Luck
Peter

Neo
04-04-2002, 09:32 AM
You could take the thameslink out of kings cross up to luton and visit my group at the Luton Regional Sports Centre on Tuesdays 730pm until 1000pm. I teach EBMAS WT.

Looks like you are spoilt for choice - happy hunting!

Rolling Elbow
04-04-2002, 01:45 PM
The swoft character you speak of had a site on the net i checked out about 6 months ago. Looks extremely fast and effective" punishing and very "hard style" if you will...

Then again, I could do without his 80's puffy longish hair and a tight leather jacket that is rolled up at the sleaves..get the picture? Maybe a bit of attitude there :-/

Rolling Elbow
04-04-2002, 02:18 PM
You can havea look at Mr. Swift here:

http://www.swiftwingchun.com/video.html

click on first video clip to see him chain punch and throw some poor guy...you'll see what i mean with regards to the pre-madonna look.

londoner2001
04-13-2002, 08:25 AM
I got a letter back from Simon Lau, I am shocked this is crazy.

He charges £128 for subscription, membership card, membership fee, uniform and yearly insurance fee and £96 for the eight hours tuition.

First of all that is very expensive but it does not say whether you can carry on after the two month induction programme that you are paying for. It says it is an initial course teaching you the fundamental principles of wing chun demonstrating its effectivness as a combat art.

It says the intial course is two months with ongoing three motnh courses thereafter, anyone know how much the ongoin three month courses are after that.

I do think this is very expensive but many people say he is a top teacher, problem is it is suchh a trek for me when I have A-Levels in June, they are vey important exams! May look at Michael Tse and others.

Sharky
04-13-2002, 10:25 AM
He's a rip off merchant, sorry.

He can take his laminated floors and air conditioning and stick them up his ass.

londoner2001
04-13-2002, 07:34 PM
I have been spending the last three hours looking at the pros and cons of the different teachers!

Simon Lau and Michael Tse are very far away especially at a time when I have the most important exams of my life and am starting a new job two days after that. Pasco David is an old student of Victor Kan and from what I hear is very good, he teaches pretty near to me, at least he is the nearest wing chun teacher so I think I am best off going to him, he teaches classical wing chun so teaches direct teacher to student and takes a long time to drill in the basics.

Any of you people on here knwo anything about Pasco, is he good in your opinion?

AndyM
04-14-2002, 03:16 AM
Interesting that the WingChun Kuen forum has a Londonder 2001 posting entirely different comments. This particular Londoner 2001 seems to have been a student of Simon Lau for some time, claiming to have spent time training with him in Sweden.

Perhaps Londoner 2001, you should get in touch with this other Londoner 2001 and exchange ideas?

I'll give you the URL for the WingChunKuen forum if you like!

( if you don't have it already that is )

AndyM

dezhen2001
04-14-2002, 09:11 AM
dear me! :D

I guess if u want to train, you'll find a way... if not, then u won't. simple as that.

david :)