PDA

View Full Version : What does it take.... MMA?

Loke
03-24-2002, 12:20 AM
What does it take to become a well rounded MMA fighter? How do you integrate the different 'zones' into your fighting style and make it fluid and workable?

I know there are some schools that emphasize NHB/MMA training but I would say this is the minority. What makes a good MMA trainer/school?

Just some questions I had after reading the NHB threads... :confused:

Later.

Loke

MA fanatic
03-24-2002, 05:38 AM
Dude:
What state do you live in? I'll send you some links to schools stressing Muay Thai boxing, kick boxing, and submission grappling. MMA competition generally have more rules than some NHB (which is a generic term for No Holds Barred). The competition which I believe has less rules and no protective gear is International Vale Tudo (old school no rules competition). Generally you have to be skilled in 4 ranges of combat (kicking, hand striking, clinching and ground grappling). You also have to be well versed in 4 methods of finishing an apponent with bare hands (striking, throwing, joint manipulation, and choking/strangulation). On the ground, you must know positioning and transitions. Standing, you must be trained for full contact strikes to head and legs (muay thai guys that enter generally will go for the legs hard). If you want to check on a good site, go under www.mixedmartialarts.com. Then, click on the UNDERGROUND forum. You'll have access to all fighters, promoters and schools. If you want some information on good MMA videos (for training purposes), just email me psyfightermma@aol.
MA fanatic

Loke
03-24-2002, 08:35 PM
MA Fanatic,

Check your p/m as I sent you an email...

L

wu_de36
03-25-2002, 01:11 PM
it really boils down to uniform choices...

either a black speedo

or a judo gi that has more ads than a NASCAR.

that's all it really takes

(tongue in cheek)
:)

Kempo Guy
03-25-2002, 01:32 PM
That's funny dude. :D