PDA

View Full Version : Tushka Itishe needs more fighters

JWTAYLOR
03-24-2002, 10:40 AM
The Tushka Itishe needs more fighters. I've spoken with a couple of people who did this tournament before and they all speak highly of it. A couple of people on this board, The Great Rooster and Halfling have been to the tournament and they say that the people are very friendly and that it is well run. Christopher Martin, who sometimes posts here at KFO runs the tournament, I believe.

Unfortunatley, not enough fighters have signed up to compete in the tournament to make it viable this year. He needs 4 more fights.

This is a tournament that I was very interested in attending before my motorcycle accident a couple of weeks ago, and I would still like to go up there and watch it.

The rules are good, and very "Kung Fu" friendly. It is a full contact tournament.

Mr. Martin sent me the following email:

Attention fighters and fans: Due to a lack of interest, I am in the process of determining whether or not this event will take place on April 27th. As of this date, I only have four fights set for sure, one possible. In order for my partner and I to make up for the expense of hosting the event, we need no less than eight fights. Consider this email a last ditch effort to pull this thing off before the summer months. If I can get enough fighters in the next week we will move ahead with this event. Otherwise, it will be cancelled indefinitely. I have fighters without fights in the light middle weight class, light weight class, possibly the middle weight class, and the super heavy weight class. If you know anyone or train with anyone who is willing to fight, please advise me within the next seven days. We are still committed to putting on an exciting event, but we need some fighters to do it. Let everyone know that if we can pull this off, it will be taped and professionally edited. We plan to distribute this tape and help everyone get the kind of recognition they deserve. We've even sparked a commitment from the band Grinch, out of DFW, to lend us their music, and play a few songs at our event.

email him at jcjmid@msn.com if you or anyone you train with is interested.

JWT

JWTAYLOR
03-25-2002, 10:42 AM
ttt

JWT

Silumkid
03-25-2002, 11:00 AM
Is this thing happening in Texas or....?

Stacey
03-25-2002, 11:06 AM
What language is that? What does it mean? Its indian right?

halfling
03-25-2002, 12:41 PM
YES WE NEED MORE FIGHTERS!!!!!!!!! It is happening in Texas, it is in the Dallas/Arlington/Ft. Worth Area. The language is indian and it means warrior wrestling (Tushka Itishe). Everyone I know getting ready for it has been training hard and getting excited about the event. I, for one, will be very dissapointed if it is not able to go on. Anyone and everyone who wants a challenge should step up and try out their skills. I guarantee a good event and many good fights. Please talk to anyone you are affiliated with or know who might be interested to get the rest of the fights we need to make this thing happen. JWT - are you not going to be able to go because you dont have transportation now? You are free to ride with us up there. Let me know if you are interested after we get the rest of the fights lined up. Thanks for the support everyone.

halfling
03-25-2002, 12:46 PM
Here is the website as well. Its been posted on here before but not surfaced for a while so ill add it again. Please check it out, you wont be disapointed.
www.geocities.com/tushkaitishe

Cyborg
03-25-2002, 12:46 PM
What's the url? I can't seem to find it on the net anywhere... just want to reread the rules and find out what kind of gloves I have to have. Already have the rest of it. Don't know if I'll make it 'cuz time restraints, making a living sure is a pain... :p

halfling
03-25-2002, 12:47 PM
Where's Hico, TX?

Cyborg
03-25-2002, 12:52 PM
ahhh, thank you. They've changed the equipment, that or I misread it last time. Is it just me or does anyone else think it's not the smartest idea to risk hitting bars (padded or otherwise) on that helmet?

Cyborg
03-25-2002, 12:55 PM
It's 70 mi. west of Waco, 100 mi. south of fort worth, 170 mi. nth of SA and 20 mi. east of Stephenville.

Never heard of Baek Ho Kwan... would appreciate a brief description. Thanks in advance.

halfling
03-25-2002, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the equipment is the same we used 8 months ago for the first tushka itishe. I'm confused as to why you think hitting bars on the helmet are a bad idea?

JWTAYLOR
03-25-2002, 01:01 PM
Don't worry about the helmet. You can nail it all day and your hands won't hurt. Even less of a problem when it's on someone's moving head and you have gloves. Not a problem at all. Saves allot of injuries.

All in all, I really like the rules and I think they give you allot of freedom.

Halfling, by that date I had better have a ride. I would like to attend just to see the fights and to hang out with some of you folks.

JWT

halfling
03-25-2002, 01:03 PM
When you say, "by that date i had better have a ride" do you mean you better have a vehicle to drive or you better have a ride from us? just confused.... prolly just my brain is fried from class all day. we would enjoy you hanging out with us.... a very fun bunch of people.

JWTAYLOR
03-25-2002, 01:16 PM
I just mean that I would have hoped to buy another motorcycle by then.

Any word about getting more fighters?
JWT

The GREat Ro0ster
03-25-2002, 03:34 PM
this really is a good tournament, no frills, no flashy stuff, just martial artists competing. ive done it myself and its awesome. all the gear is non-restrictive. we need fighters. this isnt ufc or something that pros do, its people who train martial arts, im a mechanical engineering junior at the university of texas at austin, and im doin it, so just about any one could who has the will and the heart to do this. full contact fighting isnt for everyone mind you, but if youve got it in you to go all out, this is it...please tell people interested in fighting somehting like this we neeeeeed fighters.... if you dont want to fight, make a weekened out of it and come see what its all about. peace to everyone and spead teh word

thomas lafarelle

Chang Style Novice
03-25-2002, 05:08 PM
I'd love to go, but I haven't even pushed hands in months, to say nothing of full-contact sparring. I'd be ground up like gooseliver.

Plus, I'm hellaciously broke right now from a month of drastic underemployment - my money's devoted to covering late bills, loans, and so on. None will be left over for safety equipment and entry fees. Next time out I should be a go for sure.

I want to be an 'experienced ring fighter' even if that experience is tapping out thirty seconds into the first round.:D

halfling
03-25-2002, 07:42 PM
No word yet if anymore fighters have stepped up but then again i live quite a few hours from mr. martin and don't talk to him all that much. If he sees this on here I'm sure he'll respond, if not he'll email with the decision. Everyone who is interested will be kept updated. CSN - I hope you are serious and go through and get in there eventually to fight. I know I want to but being a girl and not a natural fighter (not saying anything about girls not being natural fighters or anything) but i need some serious work and i have to get in a lower weight class because no way in hell will i get in anything that labels me as heavy division in any way shape or form.... whether it be light heavy or superheavy no heavyies ;-) ok well, talk to you all later

Chang Style Novice
03-26-2002, 05:24 AM
Yes, I mean it. Now, to deliver some sprinkler parts.

(cue "Rocky" theme)

C. Martin
04-01-2002, 07:43 AM
It's on! A large group of fighters out of Plano have come through . I'm in the process of setting more matches now. Someone from Hico (sp?) TX posted on here and was interested in fighting? E-mail me and I'll set up a match for you.

JWT, thank you very much for posting here and drawing some more attention to our event. It's the only safe haven for amateurs from all styles to showcase their skills and get some ring time without stepping up to the pros.

April 27th, Balch Springs TX, COME AND WATCH! Still two weeks left to buy tickets in advance, and save yourself $5. Go to the web site for more info.. www.geocities.com/tushkaitishe .

Chris Martin

ewallace
04-01-2002, 07:52 AM
I am thinking about renting a car and driving up there to watch the fights. If anyone in the SA or Austin area want's to chip in and go for a road trip let me know.

C. Martin
04-01-2002, 05:29 PM
Email Halfling or The Great Rooster. They will help you.

Hope to see you there!

halfling
04-01-2002, 06:08 PM
Hey, if anyone wants a ride i do have some room in my car. not tons its just a little corolla. I would require a security deposit beforehand in case anyone maims and kills me on the way..... gotta get compensation some how :) just kidding. I have to warn you though that i am a female college student and we dont have a very good driving record usually. ;-) but if you are interested for real let me know or rooster, were going up together the friday before and coming back on sunday im sure.

C. Martin
04-01-2002, 07:41 PM
If Halfling is driving, you may want to get a deposit from her! ;-)

It's shaping up folks. We'll have at least eight matches to watch, probably along the lines of 10, plus some good demos.

See ya there!

Chang Style Novice
04-01-2002, 07:58 PM
Great news! Maybe I can make it as a spectator - I'll check into it.

halfling
04-01-2002, 08:25 PM
dont listen to him, i happen to be a very good driver. never even been in a accident.. well cept for the time that lady drove straight into me.... i swear women should not be allowed to drive cars!

C. Martin
04-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Come one come all, this is going to be a great show. Anyone in TX interested in coming in doing a demo at the show....let me know.

halfling
04-01-2002, 09:22 PM
when is the website going to be updated to have all the new fights? im curious and is the girl fight still going on?

C. Martin
04-02-2002, 06:41 AM
Within the next few days. Yes, the girl fight is still on! TTT!

There's no reason there can't be a large contingent of KFO people from DFW, San Antonio, Waco, Wichita Falls and Austin there!

News: The band Grinch may be playing a few songs at the show too!

See you there!

C. Martin
04-02-2002, 04:54 PM
It's getting better every day. We are looking at 10 fights now folks! Woo Hoo!

C. Martin
04-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Keep this post alive!

Nine fights locked in, possibility of as many as 13! You won't want to miss. Some good talent has shown up in the last few days and agreed to fight.

Who's coming to watch? Get your tickets in advance and save some $$$.

www.geocities.com/tushkaitishe <------shameless advertisement.

ewallace
04-03-2002, 08:17 PM
I'm going to go. I'll probably go up friday night and come back saturday evening. Can't be gone from the family for too long. Any one along the I35 corridor who needs a lift let me know.

ewallace
04-04-2002, 10:37 AM
What are the directions coming north on I35? I couldn't find any on the site.

C. Martin
04-04-2002, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure. Use one of the directions finders on the net and use this address as the destination...

4372 Shepherd
Balch Springs, TX 75180

Hope that helps.

Who's coming to watch?

The GREat Ro0ster
04-04-2002, 02:52 PM
i might go to watch :D

ewallace
04-04-2002, 02:53 PM
Aren't you fighting in that Rooster?

The GREat Ro0ster
04-04-2002, 02:57 PM
hehe yea just trying to keep this at the top......if you are goin we might be able to meet somewhere in austin then caravan up there too if you wanted to

ewallace
04-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Maybe. I'll probably leave work early and head up around 2 or 3 p.m. so I can rest a little and then hit the town (read bars) for a few hours.

The GREat Ro0ster
04-04-2002, 03:26 PM
maybe austin area people thinking about goin wanna meet this weekend or the weekend before to get together or something like that??

C. Martin
04-04-2002, 03:52 PM
Yes! Yes! Keep this post alive! hehe

DragonzRage
04-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Sounds pretty decent. Hell, I would fight in this. But then i can't afford the time and money of a trip to Texas either! Oh well:(
Question: What MA backgrounds are the most common in their pool of fighters? Do any noted MMA gyms send people to this competition? And for those who've seen it, what is the general caliber of skill?

Sean the Black
04-04-2002, 04:30 PM
How many of these do they have a year? I would love to comepte in one or a hundred of these once I get back into fighting shpe and into the swing of things (just started agian a month and a half ago after a 4 year lay off) The rules kick a**, this looks great! the only thing I dont like is I am a skinny sob but I am in the super heavy weight div. ( the price of being 6'4" i guess)

The GREat Ro0ster
04-04-2002, 05:43 PM
the skill level or the caliber of fighters varies i guess you would say, the biggest thing is trying to get in shape....you can know everything about your ma, but if you get tired after about 30 sec, then youll lose to a guy that can do nothing but punch, so i dunno really, come to find out :D

halfling
04-04-2002, 07:41 PM
IM GOING TO WATCH. I am very excited about it. I watched the last tournament and I would say that the caliber of the fighting is impressive to say the least. I have to admit I have not seen much of this type of fighting tournaments and don't watch the UFC to compare this too. I was hooked by this tournament though. Very exciting. I know you will all be impressed after watching it. As for us austin people meeting, I am busy friday the 12th and saturday the 13th. I am free this weekend if we wanted to meet though. Ewallace: i got some directions from N IH-35 here in austin. here they are: Go north on 35. Take the I-35E exit towards Dallas. Get on I-35E then exit I-20E (exit 418B) towards Shreveport. Get on I-20E then exit towards Mesquite on I-635N. Get on I-635N and take exit #1A for Seagoville Road. Turn right on Seagoville then left on Shepard to 4372 Shepard. I got this off mapquest.com. Hope this helps. I am wanting to leave around the same time here from austin on friday but I am not definite on our departure time yet. Ok well.. lots of info so enjoy. :)

Sharky
04-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Tell us if halfing is a hottie or not eh?

halfling
04-04-2002, 08:51 PM
Let's keep this a thread about the tournament.

C. Martin
04-04-2002, 09:37 PM
Yes, lets. Halfling and the Great Rooster are very close. Do yourself a favor and don't upset him Sharky. ;-)

ewallace
04-05-2002, 07:25 AM
thanks halfling. I looked it up on mapquest too but I was hoping to avoid using their directions. While accurate they are not always the best.

Sharky
04-05-2002, 07:39 AM
:eek:

C. Martin
04-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Anyone else coming to watch? There are lots of KFO people in DFW? Where are you folks?

C. Martin
04-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Keep this post alive!

So, any DFW peeps coming to watch the action? We may have a Wing Tsun Demo done.....should be cool....not to mention the unadulterated violence.

See ya there.

halfling
04-09-2002, 02:19 PM
Hello everyone. Just checking up again. Who else is coming to the event? So far JWT, Rooster, myself, ewallace, and CSN have said they will prolly attend. Thats a pretty good group, but there are more of us out there that can attend. Hope everyone makes it.

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I think I can swing it.

So, JWT's back from playing soldier and it's too early to worry about finals. So, where are we eating this weekend?

I especially favor Kim Phung, Little Bombay, and Madras Pavilion.

C. Martin
04-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Sounds good guys. Hey Rooster, any chaps from that Jiu-Jitsu club coming to watch the fun?

It's official: 9 fights, one exhibition between the Great Rooster and another fighter. Rooster's opponent got injured in training and another fighter is willing to take an exhibition match against him. This just means that the title isn't on the line, and Rooster can't maul him, but will still be fun to watch.

Come one, come all!

halfling
04-09-2002, 04:38 PM
All of friday and saturday is bad for Rooster and I to meet this weekend. Most of Sunday morning is also bad. Both of our parents will be in town for some school functions. So we can meet on Sunday night or the weekend before the tournament, which might end up being better for everyone. Definantly want to meet though, especially for all those attending the tournament. Then we can all recognize each other when we get there. Ok, talk to everyone later.

Chang Style Novice
04-10-2002, 04:05 AM
Oh yeah, I'm one of those no-car-having, ride-needing-if-I'm-gonna-go MFs.

C. Martin
04-10-2002, 11:13 AM
We still have NINE fights folks. You can't see full contact entertainment like this live very often. I was up to ten for about a day, but one of the light heavy weight fighters backed out.

Please tell everyone you know about this event and let's fill the stands. The show will be worth the trip.

The GREat Ro0ster
04-10-2002, 02:43 PM
OGG TAR

Chang Style Novice
04-10-2002, 06:19 PM
I have to admit, I'm having slight misgivings about travelling a couple of hundred miles with virtual strangers just to see an tushie itchy. If I want to see an tushie itchy, all I have to do is ride the bus and keep an eye on the guys who smell like malt liquor. It never takes more than five minutes for one of them to start scratching.

Surely, Mr. Martin, there is something you can do about that tushie itchy. Perhaps a cream or ointment of some kind?

Am I pronouncing this right?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

C. Martin
04-10-2002, 07:47 PM
I'll see that I can do about Itchy Tushy....but as for (Tushka Eteeshee) Tushka Itishe, it's all about the butt whippings.

We are up to 10 fights again. Eight matches, two exhibitions!

Woo Hoo!