PDA

View Full Version : Who practices SE Asian arts?

Chris McKinley
03-24-2002, 03:05 PM
How many practitioners of SE Asian arts do we have on this forum? I teach and practice Inosanto/Lacoste Kali and Lameco Escrima.

jkund34
03-30-2002, 07:34 PM
How many practitioners of SE Asian arts do we have on this forum? I teach and practice Inosanto/Lacoste Kali and Lameco Escrima.

I study JKD through the Inosanto/Lacosta lineage,I also study Philipino Kuntao

Black Jack
04-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Hi Chris,

I have in the past and still do, the past Jit was JKD/Inosanto blend, some experiance with modern arnis, vee-arnis, and some willow system largo mano stuff.

Right now I am into Sayoc Kali, which has helped me remeber how amazing the SE arts arts, very good stuff.

Cheers,

iron mantis
04-15-2002, 01:21 PM
I study a style of Filipino MA called Sikaran. You probably don't know it but if you do please e-mail me cuz I'd love to learn about a lineage outside of my own.
Thanks!
I.M.

Black Jack
04-15-2002, 03:28 PM
By Sikaran do you mean the filipino art of kicking, like in Panajackman, or something different?

iron mantis
04-16-2002, 02:37 PM
Black Jack-

Our style is a Filipino foot fighting art similar to TKD. We also incorporate hands so as to be more rounded.

Black Jack
04-16-2002, 03:14 PM
Sikiran or the other kicking elements like Panajackman (low line kicking) are part of a lot of Filipino systems, though I am sure there are styles like yours which focus more on just that element.

Don't you guys do any weapons?

iron mantis
04-16-2002, 03:21 PM
My instructor does teach weapons. We learn the traditional Filipino stuff(2 sticks, balisong, stick and knife). We can also learn other MA weapons, when our instructor gives his consent.

Noone gets to work with weapons until they've been there a while, typically 6 months to a year, really depending on the mindset of the student.

iron mantis
04-16-2002, 03:25 PM
I would be oblidged if you could tell me more about some of the other FMA. There are so many traditions that I still don't know about.

Black Jack
04-16-2002, 08:28 PM
That is a much different approach to doing an FMA art, most systems start you with the weapons first, mostly sticks and basic body mechanics, then empty hands.

I am now doing Sayoc Kali and its prime speciality are bladed weapons which you start training with on day one.

www.sayoc.com

There are a vast amount of other FMA based arts out there, some many hundreds of years old, some modern.

Doce Pares, Sayoc, Black Eagle Escrima, Inosanto, Lameco, Modern Arnis, Willow Style Largo Mano, Lacosta, Kuntaw, Kali Silat, Illustrisomo, hundreds of hundreds of styles.

Go to your local Borders and read through some of the FMA books they have there

iron mantis
04-17-2002, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I kinda threwthat one out there without thinking. I've done the book route, all I come up with is stuff by Wiley. He pretty much says the same thing: hundreds if not thousands of different style/traditions of FMA.

I've been lucky enough to touch upon escrima,arnis,doce pares, I'm still not sure of which has what. Is it just me or is it all interrelated?

I'm intrigued about an art you mentioned:Willow style Largo Mano? Does the translation come out as "Willow style long hand?" Would this be a stick and dagger art? Or am I in the wrong ballpark?

Thirsty for knowledge,
Mantis

Black Jack
04-17-2002, 03:16 PM
:)

I have had a small bit of Willow Style, but the teacher had to stop teaching for personal reasons, its the Taningco family style, a lot of hand to hand applications, as well as cane, sinawali, combative throws, the whole bit, wish I had a chance to learn more than the amount I did.

Did you check out the Sayoc website out of curiosity?

iron mantis
04-18-2002, 03:05 PM
I did scope out the Sayoc site, VERY cool. That gives me another piece of a giant puzzle...
It's funny how things work. We have 5 new adult students, all of which are over 25. Last night we worked weapons drills for almost the entire class. I guess rules were meant to be broken...

RoosterTalons
04-18-2002, 06:33 PM
Hey, I know a little bit on Arnis, because my dad knew long ago, but I still want to practice more on Arnis in a school, but I can't find a nearby school :[

JerryLove
05-04-2002, 07:11 PM
Better to chime in late than never? I'm a silat practitioner.

monkey mind
05-05-2002, 09:46 PM
I practice Kombatan - a form of Modern Arnis systematized by GM Ernesto Presas. It's fairly ecclectic, but centered as you'd guess around stick, dagger, and empty hand techniques... and it's loads of fun!

apoweyn
05-23-2002, 11:58 AM
eskrima. predominantly doce pares.

guohuen
05-28-2002, 12:32 PM
Sinawali escrima and escrimito. My first arts. Don't practice much anymore.