PDA

View Full Version : People in Kwoon

elmo
03-24-2002, 09:51 PM
While I have read the forum for about a year now this is my first post. It has to with what makes a good Kwoon. Since I have read this forum I have seen much about lineage and authenticity. It seems there is always someone out to question the lineage or authenticity of a system. I realize that there are a alot of people out there that will take advantage of others and one must go into a system with his or her eyes open. Yet, it often seems that there is alot of system bashing without alot consideration of why people take Kung-Fu. The reason I stayed at my particular Kwoon was not for authenticity. According to many people on this forum my style is a sham. O.K. I guess I can accept that my system is not "true kung-fu." Yet, what I found at my school were good people that I could trust and I could train with. I knew that every time I went into class I would get a good work out. My lungs would burn while doing the numerous push-ups and bag work and my muscles would be sore after class. The people I sparred with repsected me and I respected them. All my teachers were physically able to do what they taught me. I had no out of shape teachers. I don't know much about "true kung-fu" and I'm not sure that I care. I judge the system by the people I see in it. I haven't found the most amazing fighters in my system but I have found people I trust and repsect. That is what is important to me.

joedoe
03-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Good for you. If you are happy, then don't worry about what other people think or say about your art. If you don't want your art to be bashed by people on the forum, then don't say anything about it.

However, it is a forum and if you want to put your style up for show, then you must expect that not all comments will be nice.

But you are right - if you are getting what you want out of your school, then good for you.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-24-2002, 11:35 PM
martial art

sticky fingers
03-25-2002, 12:19 AM
It doesn't matter if it's true, classical, modern, modified whatever kung-fu.

Will it save your a$$ in a fight?

HuangKaiVun
03-25-2002, 06:00 AM
If you're satisfied with what you're paying for, that's enough. Period.

dezhen2001
03-25-2002, 07:06 AM
good for you :) Sometimes it's very hard to find a group of like minded individuals to train with. In some schools even respect and virtue. If you've found something that you enjoy doing, and you like the class, then that's all that matters IMO :)

It's when someone claims that their style is something it's not, that ppl start the 'bashing' :D

david

Ray Pina
03-25-2002, 08:36 AM
That's awesome, sounds like you are happy.

The thing is, just as each art or style is different, so is each practitioner.

See, from what you discribed, I wouldn't be happy there. WHy? I do not want to do pushups or even bag work at class. I view that sort of thing as material that can be done at home.

When I'm at class I want theory and new material. Then I go home and work it out like a mad man.

I noticed on another threat, a TKD thread, someone said, TKD is great: we have have punching, kicking, elbows, finger jabs, locks, ect.

Of coarse you do, you're a martial artists. The bum on the street has that too. The difference to me is how you use those tools, the theories behind their application, there was also no mention of sticking, absorbing. This is what I look for in a school.

But, if one feels they are progressing, what more is to be asked for?

Best of luck in your training.

xiong
03-25-2002, 08:44 AM
Sounds like you found a good fit. I personally believe that the reasons you stated are actually the most important. Alot of people here marginalize other people if they have motivations other than pure combat application for their training.

I think that the main point to consider is: does the school make false claims? That is the real problem with style or lineage, people saying they teach a certain style from a certain master when they made it up. Also the various dubious practices that some schools may use to generate income, belt testing fees, sparring club fees, chi gong seminar fees.

If you are making progress, mentally and physically, and are associating with people you respect while paying a tuition you feel is affordable then that is the end of the arguement.

For others that is not enough, to each their own. Good luck to you and heed joe doe's advice.

logic
03-25-2002, 01:45 PM
I'm just wondering what style you take?
If you really don't care what people think then you should have a full Profile.

I have taken some criticism about pai lum.My style has kenpo in it and is very combative. It has a nice flow to it but I don't think it has the grace of other styles such as Wing Chun.

Anyway it's a great style for fighting and I feel confident about my martial arts. Thats what matters to me.

I take other martial arts and if you have been reading this forum for a year then you might have heard me say this
What you put into martial arts is what you get out of martial arts.

Ray Pina
03-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Logic, sounds to me like you have a good thing going. You said it, who cares what others say, as long as you know it works.
:)