PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me this demo never happened

KC Elbows
03-25-2002, 08:33 AM
Went to a small competition this weekend with the rest of my school, just there watching. There were actually a few very good teachers there, and we were hoping they would take part in the master's demonstration. Unfortunately, the ones we were there to see did not.

The masters demo began, and one particular teacher came up and did his demo. I've seen it before, and it is annoying. He demonstrates some chin na on his students, and the chin na is generally valid technique, but his students practically scream every time a lock is done on them, and they tap out for like a minute, but he just keeps going with the technique. Either he ignores his student's safety, or his students are in the habit of showing pain and tapping out before the point where they should. Anyway, I digress.

Now, this is normally all that this guy does for his demos, but this time, he has a student stand there for an iron body demo. He kicks the guy once in the chest, nothing special, then he has the guy squat down and kicks him twice between the legs. HOWEVER, we can see from where we are that the only part of the foot making contact, the very top, is hitting behind the balls. I look at one of my classmates and we speculate on whether he is better off health wise getting hit in the balls over getting hit in that point between the balls and the anus(hui yin?)

Now, I'm ready for the next person to demo, but NOOOOOO, he's on such a friggin roll that he feels that there's one more thing he simply must demo. He has two students attack him, and I'm like "What's he demoing now?" and it doesn't even register that he is doing one of those knock-out touch, Dillman meets Svengali demonstrations, and his students are on the ground and he's rubbing the backs of their necks.

CLASSMATE TO ME: What's that?

ME TO CLASSMATE: That's cr@p.

Some of the other people who demoed were ok, then the advanced open forms began, and the judges did not give anyone under a 9.5. They were harder on the kids than the advanced stylists.

Anyway, I left early and worked out, sparred, and generally felt pretty good about my kung fu.

KC Elbows
03-25-2002, 10:06 AM
On the plus side, there was one kid, maybe 15-16 years old, doing hung gar at the competition who made me proud to be a kung fu man. Very intense.

It was an open competition, so there were a lot of japanese and korean arts represented there. One girl doing karate had the single most impressive yell I have ever personally witnessed. We all agreed that it was frightening.

There was some good wing chun. I always feel bad for the guys doing wing chun forms in competition, as it takes a much more educated eye to see the beauty in the forms, but they just aren't visually exciting, so the flashier stuff usually overshadows it. However, the chi sau and wooden dummy stuff wasn't bad.

There was one guys mantis class there, and they were interesting to watch. Also, one class did wu(hao) tai chi, which I hadn't seen before.

Two man forms were both from the same school, and were ok, but the practitioners lacked intent on the attack. One guy did some acrobatic stuff, and thus was the crowd favorite on the two man sets.

Internal forms competition was, as always, long as hell. Still, there were a number of practitioners who were very good.

I had to leave early, but a friend competed in sparring and did quite well. I wish I had been able to see it.

On the whole, it was ok, there were a small number of serious kung fu people there, so that was fun.

However, the showmanship disguised as miraculous powers were unacceptable, and colored my reception of the rest of the event.

kungfuyou
03-25-2002, 12:21 PM
Was there any WuShu there?

KC Elbows
03-25-2002, 12:59 PM
Nope.

Budokan
03-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Lessee, and I'm willing to bet those in the audience ate that "knock-out touch" garbage up with a spoon.:rolleyes:

That's a real shame. That guy is a disgrace to the name of martial arts.

diego
03-25-2002, 06:03 PM
why dont you fly to canada and test me if you wanna test, my skill is solid you ant to question my lineage,
come visit my school, you want directions to the jon, visit my school, ****ing???,,,etc:p

diego
03-25-2002, 06:06 PM
i have no idea what i wrote here:you ant to question my lineage,???.

Chang Style Novice
03-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Sure thing, Casey. That demo never happened. There are no shysters. All teachers know what they're doing and are honest to a fault. All students work hard and know what they're getting for their devotion and money. All is right with the world.

What you hear is an alarm clock, what you smell is coffee.