PDA

View Full Version : Florida Bai mei or Bagua?

gwendolyn
03-25-2002, 03:42 PM
Looking for any good instructors in the Tampa/St Pete area of florida that teach Bai mei or Bagua...Please help!!:D

meltdawn
03-26-2002, 09:05 AM
Hello Gwendolyn.

The Florida Dragon Sign Athletic Association, Master Lum Chi Ping is located about 45 minutes south of St. Petersburg. Please visit our website at www.lungyingjingjung.com for more information. We will be at Nick Scrima's tournament at the St. Pete Bayfront Center on April 6th. We will be wearing our club t-shirts; please come up and introduce yourself.

The only Pak Mei I know of in Florida is Sifu David Garcia in Orlando under Kwong Man Fong. His website is www.pakmeikungfu.com.

Good luck in your search for a school.

gwendolyn
03-26-2002, 12:30 PM
mELTDAWN

Thnks for info. Does your school also teach White eyebrow? :D

LiLong
03-26-2002, 03:41 PM
hello gwendolyn.

I don't know of bagua in the Tampa/St. Pete area. However there is hope for you in the Bai Mei area. we train in town & country which is kind of in between tampa and st. pete. e-mail me at macg666@hotmail.com and I can give you contact info to our sigung. you would be most welcome to come check us out and participate in classes before committing to anything (verbal commitment only, no contracts btw... we want you there only if you WANT to be there). If you would like to remain anonymous for any given reason, on April 6th we will be at the Bayfront arena (south st, pete) participating in the Chinese Martial Arts Internationals hosted by nick Skrima. come see us either way.

cheers :)

gwendolyn
03-26-2002, 06:06 PM
Thank you very much.:D If you don't mind my asking , how long have you been training?Who is your Sigung?What are your classes like as far as sparring and application? Thanks. :D

LiLong
03-27-2002, 05:56 AM
Hey gwendolyn, I don't mind you asking...

Sigung James Whitney Jr. (first north american successor of the style). We have four weekly classes. We keep spparing and weapons in one night (a class usually lasts three hours). Applications and forms as well as serious conditioning the rest of the time. I am a Sidi 2 (second level black which is the second level of the system). I have trained in various other styles and will not be leaving this one for a while. anymore questions just let me know.

cheers :)

gwendolyn
03-27-2002, 01:46 PM
Thanks for being patient w/my questions. :D Just two more questions. Who is your teachers Sifu? How long has your Sigung trained?Thanks again.:D

meltdawn
03-27-2002, 02:24 PM
Gwendolyn,

In response to your question:

"Thnks for info. Does your school also teach White eyebrow? "

While many teachers have learned both lung ying and pak mei because of these specific styles intertwined backgrounds and what some have said as common principals, my master does not practice or teach pak mei. Master Lum solely teaches lung ying.

Good luck in your search for a school, and we look forward to meeting you.

mono68
03-27-2002, 05:35 PM
SUI-Fuw:

The girl is trying to be legit. Do not act like an ignorant a$$ or you like being a troubling troll!

CLOUD ONE
03-27-2002, 05:51 PM
mono68-The girl is trying to be legit. Do not act like an ignorant a$$ or you like being a troubling troll!

Do you personaly know this girl?

What is she really asking?

Answer these and then.........

trying to be legit is different to being legit.

Sui fuw- oh no there on to your game!!!!;)

gwendolyn
03-27-2002, 07:12 PM
Sui-fuw
How do you know im pretty...or a girl?Jack@ss.

LiLong
03-27-2002, 08:03 PM
Greetings gwendolyn,

Sigung Whitney's teacher was Sitagung Chen Meng Li. Sitagung Chen was the one who brought LLBM to the US. Sigung Whitny was not only the first westerner to learn this style but is also the head of the clan as chosen by his master in his death bed (dramatic isn't it?...). All joking aside, Sigung is 49 years old and has trained since the age of thirteen if I am not mistaken. He trained with Sitagung Chen I believe for about 15 years and then with his son (who also has passed away). You should definetely come to the tournie on the Sixth, there prbably will be a lot of local kwoons ans well as foreign ones and we will have a good time. BTW the questions are welcome so keep them coming.

cheers
:)

gwendolyn
03-28-2002, 03:50 AM
Thanks again for all the info. I will definitely be at the tournament in St. Pete.:D

tnwingtsun
03-28-2002, 03:12 PM
I don't know what LLBM is or which branch of Bai Mei it comes from so I cannot comit on it.

But Meltdawn's Sifu is ligit and the Dragon system is very close to Bai Mei.

I wouldn't hurt one bit if you studied Dragon while you searched for Bai Mei,you might like Dragon so much you'll stay with it.
That is if you can hang with thier program.

Reguards........

tnwingtsun
03-29-2002, 02:50 PM
Here we go again sui-fuw:rolleyes:

strangecaptain
03-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Who p|ssed in your Corn Flakes? It had appeared that you were posting like a civil human being for a while. Then, sexual harassment and random snottiness in one thread? You have an odd way of showing curiosity. Advice: Reverse psychology only works on sit-coms.

strangecaptain
03-30-2002, 09:05 AM
:eek: !?!NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?!:D

Ego_Extrodinaire
03-31-2002, 05:45 AM
Bagua is superior to pak mei anytime. So in my opinion its best tob quit your pakmei, dragon or whatever type of southern art you're studying.

LiLong
03-31-2002, 06:15 PM
Why does it always have to be a question of wether or not one art is superior to another? That was not the question at hand. We are free to make the decisions we see fit and choose a style that promotes our natural abilities and not change them. Bagua is not superior to Bai Mei and in turn Bai Mei is not superior to any other art and this concept applies accross the board. We all know and appreciate your conviction to northern styles Ego_Extraordinaire, you have made them well aware to all of us, repetition in this case is annoying at best. You could have approached the subject stating the wealth of benefits that is contained in Eight-Trigram Boxing, instead the choice was made to rank the arts again. No matter how many times we hear the preaching, it will never convert ppl to northern styles and the same applies to those who preach southern styles. Give information about the system because you do have a vast knowledge when it comes to the subject and, speaking for myself in this case, I would love to read more about Kung Fu styles being southern, northern, eastern or whatever part of China it came from. Hope this post is taken the right way because conflict was not its intent, instead I hope to see a forum free of trifle ranking arguments where pure knowledge is promoted.

Cheers, :)

LiLong
03-31-2002, 09:23 PM
gwendolyn, here is your source for Bagua in Tampa... I almost forgot. Sifu Burland is very very very good and experienced. He will also be at the tournie but you should check out his classes, he also teaches us chen taiji at the LLBM kwoon.. here is his url:

http://www.angelfire.com/apes/dragons/taijiquan.html

if you would like to speak to him let me know and I will get his # for you,

Cheers, :)

Jowbacca
04-01-2002, 08:30 PM
LiLong...
It seems we've got some common friends. :)
Sifu Norm was my first sifu, when I was in high school in Okinawa.
He was pretty much my introduction to kung fu.
You may also know Bill, his assistant instructor or at least one of the top guys there.
Bill and I used to hang out together in high school.
We started class on the exact same day (a bunch of us did) I think and there was always kind of a question of who was "sihing". hehehe

It's a small world.

LiLong
04-01-2002, 09:46 PM
hey Lost Disciple, good to hear from those who have received great training from sifu Burland. Well, unfortunately Bill is no longer training with him but sifu still considers him one of his top students. Bill lives in Orlando and chose to train in modern wushu, whcih suited his formal training as a dancer quite well. no doubt he still is an awesome fighter.

Cheers,

gwendolyn
04-02-2002, 04:47 AM
LiLong
Thanks for the info, I am definitely going to check into Sifu Norm.

Lost Disciple
How long did you train w/Sifu Norm? Did you do a lot of fighting/applications? Did you do Bagua? Hsing-I? Hung ga? mantis? Or all of the above?Thanks.

Jowbacca
04-02-2002, 05:46 AM
LLPM
So Bill IS the guy with the spear in the pic? Wow he changed! I guess we both did. He got skinny, I turned into a 250 pound monster (quasimodo styles, not schwarzenegger). Probly wouldn't recognize either of us from high school.
I knew about the wushu school and Orlando. Got an e-mail from him last week actually.

gwendolyn
I never got to the Hung Gar or the Bagua- although from what norm teaches, those aren't complete cirriculums. With Norm, chances are you'll learn a bit of taiji no matter what you do, unless you specifically request not to. Aside from the taiji I spent a lot of time with the hsing yi and the mantis; and started out with the Ching Lung forms. I was there almost 2 years in all, which at about 6 days a week, is a lot more than it sounds.

We did lots of application, in addition to stretching and calisthenics. Like the website says though, it's not a place that you're going to strap on pads and go full-bore really early on. Tho you might hit push hands practise pretty early if you're interested in it.

No disrespect to LLBM or sifu Norm, but meltdawn's school is the one I would check out if the distance was feasible- just from what i've seen of her posts on here, and what i've seen from her school's website. Knowing that you are into Bak Mei, Bak Mei and Southern Dragon could pass for sisters. I've heard of people doing both as one compliments the other while still being in the same vein of southern shorthand.

you might wanna check out the tournament on April 6th before you make a decision. Kung fu is a major commitment, at least for me it is, so you wanna make sure you find the "best" place available (best place for you) to train.

Good luck finding a place. I think i, myself, may have finally found my home.