PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between san shou and shootboxing?

phantom
03-25-2002, 04:13 PM
They seem to be very similiar, although shootboxing does have a stronger groundfighting element to it. Are there any other differences between these two styles? Thanks in advance.

phantom
03-26-2002, 02:27 PM
Anyone?

Mr.Sleazy
03-26-2002, 02:40 PM
I am pretty much a beginner in this so take what I say with a grain of salt. At my school I am taking lessons in shootboxing, and mainly it involves muaythai/western boxing striking with the addition of takedowns. I think there is not much groundfighting (I haven't seen any yet) but takedowns and clinch fighting are important. Much of the striking and kicking is to set your opponent up for the clinch or takedown.

San Shou is kung fu, I went to check out a class a while back. My GUESS is that San Shou is kung fu structured for full-contact competition.

ghostdragon
03-26-2002, 02:52 PM
Hey Mr. Sleazy,

Where did you go for San Shou in Vancouver? Know of any upcoming events in the Lower Mainland?

chingei
03-26-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Sleazy
I am pretty much a beginner in this so take what I say with a grain of salt. At my school I am taking lessons in shootboxing, and mainly it involves muaythai/western boxing striking with the addition of takedowns. I think there is not much groundfighting (I haven't seen any yet) but takedowns and clinch fighting are important. Much of the striking and kicking is to set your opponent up for the clinch or takedown.

that sounds like san shou!

LEGEND
03-26-2002, 07:11 PM
San Shou is kickboxing with takedowns...no ground fighting. If u're talking about SHOOTFIGHTING...never heard of SHOOTBOXING...the fight ends with a submission or ko which means allow ground work. San Shou is tough tough tough...most CMA guys in San Shou recognize the basic throws and takedowns so it's hard to actually execute them...

Stranger
03-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Shootboxing is shootfighting without the groundwork (both are Japanese sports)....

...not to be confused with Chute Boxing, which is from Brazil and is primarily Muay Thai supported by about a purple belt level BJJ program. The goal of their ground game is to stand up whenever possible and attack with their primary MT skills.

Mr.Sleazy
03-27-2002, 06:07 PM
hey ghostdragon I attended a san shou class at the Japanese Buddhist Church in Japantown, right next to Chinatown in Vancouver. Here is their website. I only checked in on one class so I don't have much more info on the school or style. Good luck!

http://www.shouyuliang.com/index.shtml