PDA

View Full Version : CLF Question on opening stance for attacks..

nospam
03-25-2002, 04:38 PM
For those of you CLF folk, do you prefer to initiate in sei ping ma or ding ji ma? And share why you prefer one over the other, or when you might change from one to another...?

I prefer to shuffle in with sei ping ma. But to be truthful, it would depend a lot on how my opponent was standing - positioning themself. I am just as comfortable attacking in ding ji ma.

I've heard that a lot of people feel uncomfortable shuffling in with sei ping ma, preferring ding ji ma

nospam.
:cool:

yutyeesam
03-25-2002, 08:26 PM
For me it depends. If I initiate with a (low) tsop choy, definitely sei ping ma. Why? For me it's power generation and also the follow up will most likely be an element who's power is better served in din ji ma (of course, not always).

But if I start with Jin Choy (high straight arrow punch) I'll probably be in ding ji ma, because I'll probably go for a lower gate, which would probably need a sei ping ma for maximum power genration.

Since it is context dependent, it's kinda hard to pin point a specific. With my very very limited experience, I always tend to initiate with a straightline attack. Do you folks ever initiate with circular techniques?

CLFNole
03-25-2002, 08:43 PM
It is never very smart to initiate an attack with a circular technique like a sow choy or cup choy. Against a fighter with little experience it can work but against an experienced fighter you have to be careful. The key is to set up the sow chow or cup choy with some straightline attacks followed with the circular attacks.

Circular attacks can be employed when proper footwork is utilized. Example when someone charges forward it is easy to side step and counter with a sow choy.

Answering Nospam's question I also like to shuffle in with a sai ping ma. I am not big on coming with a gong ma (bow stance) because I don't like to commit to much weight to the front leg. If the gong ma is a bit upright it is okay and can be used in combination with an outward knee strike once you get inside.

Peace.

nospam
03-25-2002, 09:13 PM
Oh yeah. I initiate with circular attacks. My all time fav is going high with yum tsap followed immediately with another shuffle step forward and yueng tsap to the solarplexus.

So, I circle upward then circle (pump the arm backward) back and back in again.

Although I agree with CLFNole, in terms of using long arm techniques after they're 'set-up', I do like to blast in hard and fast with a gwa choi (clears all gates, if you will) followed by a jick choi (straight punch).

It's interesting how we all call similar techniques by different names.

Anywho, thanks for responding.

One other reason I prefer sei ping ma is that it provides the least amount of myself to my opponent. In Bak Hsing, we emphasize the turning of our upper body more in line with our hips as opposed to having the shoulders at say a 45 degree or more, facing the opponent.

nospam.

guohuen
03-25-2002, 10:20 PM
I'm very linear so I use gong ma a lot. I shuffle with sei ping ma when I know the fight is going to be prolonged.

Fu-Pow
03-31-2002, 01:18 AM
I'd venture to guess that my style of fighting is similar to CLFNole's. Probably because we come from the same branch of the same style.

The basic fighting stance I prefer is a relaxed 60-40 stance. The weight can be either be distributed a little bit forward or a little bit back depending on the fighting strategy.

I don't think Sei Ping Ma or Ding Ji Ma (Gong Ma) are very good opening fighting stances. They require that you "square off" to your opponent.

This puts you into a position where you are stagnant and can easily be manipulated (and especially if you are fighting a Taiji player).

My preferred stance is to put my torso and hips at a 45 degree angle to my opponent, one hand out stretched at shoulder height, one hand guarding at rib height.

This allows me the most flexibility.

CLF's fighting strategy is always to attack at angle.

It is important to remember in Chinese martial arts that nothing is linear, nothing is straight. There is always circles, bends, twists, angles and redirections.

This is how the human body works, this is how fighting works.

Hope that makes sense.

Peace

bean curd
04-01-2002, 08:41 PM
nospam hows it going, site getting better all the time.

for me side sei ping ma interacting with lok gwai ma and charp choi. saying this though i do not commit to a particular ma, although being from buddhist i prefer them to attack first :D

nospam
04-01-2002, 10:12 PM
bean curd

Training is going well. My sifu has asked that I put together a training manual to be used by members of our style - my lineage. It will force me to thoroughly investigate and understand all aspects of the style. An interesting endeavour I look forward to spending time on.

I have updated the website :) Even slapped a couple of vids on there of Gai Bun Ch'uan. I will be putting more images and video clips up this Summer. The current vids are training footage, but I'll put some performance clips up later.

Anywho..shall read you later.

nospam.