PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Warriors

7kicks
10-30-2000, 05:18 AM
For those of you in the new england area the Shaolin Warriors will be performing at the orpheum theatre in Boston Nov 4, Start time is 8:00 P.M. tickets are available thru ticket master.

Terry
10-30-2000, 03:59 PM
For those of you in the New Jersey area, the Shaolin Warriors from the Republic of China will be performing on Friday, 11/10, 8 P.M. at the McCarter Theatre in Princeton (Box Ofc: 91 University Place, Princeton, NJ 609 258-2787). See website for more info - www.mccarter.org (http://www.mccarter.org)

Grays Anatomy
10-30-2000, 05:16 PM
Terry - the McCarter show is sold out.

They are playing this Firday NIght at the Beacon Theatre in NYC.

xiong
03-20-2002, 08:48 AM
Got a chance to see the Shaolin Warriors show in Tempe last night, it was really good.

The story line was a little lost on me, I would not have followed it at all if not for being clued in by KFQ.

The performance was great, especially the kids. I was interested to see the different animal styles; I hadn't seen toad, scorpion or crane before. The weapons were also cool, double chain whip getting the most oohs and aahs.

The music was a little cheesy, worthy of Ennio Morricone, but not too distracting. My wife objected to the obvious choreography of the fighting scenes but that didn't bother me too much.

Lastly I saw quite a few moves that I also practice in my Wushu training. I believe that this ties in with the discussions about what Shoalin is "selling" for lack of a better word.

Just thought I'd open up debate on whether the show is really contemporary Wushu, or whether Wushu got it's moves from Shaolin.

I don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, just curious about others opinions and what they base them on.

norther practitioner
03-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Has anyone seen Shaolin Warriors? I am assuming that it will be mostly wushu, I was however hoping to see a qigong demo with it. Any comments?

Fen
03-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Did you hear more on that school in Chicago at the Shaolin Warriors show?

NP... Sorry, my school was supposed to open for them with a Lion Dance. But they would not let us in becase of a school in Chicago started a fight with another school and the monks!!!

David Jamieson
03-26-2002, 02:39 PM
I met these guys when they came through Toronto.

All young guys from the Shaolin village. And yes, the performances were pretty much competition wu shu style routines.
Still, highly entertaining.

I got some pics of the guys, I put one up at my site. Take a look and see if you recognize any of these guys.

http://members.rogers.com/kunglek/pics.htm

(they are located under the Kung Fu II link)

peace

GeneChing
03-27-2002, 10:51 AM
Does anyone have the program from the most recent tour? I have the program for the 2000 tour and interestingly enough, only one performer used a monk name.

David Jamieson
03-27-2002, 03:00 PM
I have a program around here somewhere.

What would it say for "monks" name?

peace

norther practitioner
03-27-2002, 04:07 PM
Shi

GeneChing
03-27-2002, 04:23 PM
But some just use the generation names and drop the Shi, in which case it might be de, xing, yong, yan, heng, & miao.

David Jamieson
03-28-2002, 05:38 AM
ok, there is a fully indoctrinated monk among them, one Shi Jianjun.

the rest are:
Chen Fei, Chen Haiyang, Gao Haibo, gong yong feng, Li Shiqing, Liu Biao, liu Chuankuo, liu quanzhi, liu wei, luomingjian, ma taichang, meng xu, sun keyuan, wang wei, wu shangwei, wu xinbo, xu ligong, xu pengjun, yang bin, zhang daoyou, zhang guicai, zhang yonggheng and zhao yulong.

these are just the performers from that tour and not the production team members or the creative team et al.

peace

GeneChing
03-28-2002, 11:04 AM
He's a disciple of Abbot Shi Yongxin and the head master of all the other students, yes?

norther practitioner
03-28-2002, 11:39 AM
Wow, I went last night.....some great wushu, the kids were amazing. The broadsword and chain wip was pretty cool too.

Starchaser107
10-22-2003, 04:12 PM
was entertaining, was interesting but , did not blow me away. I guess it was more to introduce the general public to shaolin rather than to satisfy hardcore enthusiasts. Has anyone else watched it? What are your thoughts.

GeneChing
10-22-2003, 04:35 PM
for Starchaser107

Starchaser107
10-22-2003, 07:30 PM
thanx gene.

norther practitioner
10-23-2003, 08:17 AM
They were here again this past week but I couldn't make it..:(

:D

GeneChing
10-23-2003, 10:14 AM
After rereading this thread, I realized there is some false implications. Both fully indoctrinated monks (heshang) and warrior monks (wuseng) will use the 'shi' title. In fact, the members of the Shaolin Warriors troupe are wuseng, even though they don't necessarily use the 'shi' title. They are one of three next generation groups of Shaolin Wuseng authorized by Abbot Yongxin. I have a short article on this coming up in our next issue (going to print tomorrow, so it'll be on stands in early December 2003). It's sort of a spillover piece from our present Shaolin Special 2003 (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kf200119.html). Chen Fei (see Kung Lek's post) is now in the Bay Area, and I even trained a little with him. His wuseng name is Yanfei. Also as for Shi Jianjun, you might notice his name isn't a generation name like de, xing, yong, yan, heng, or miao. Some of the monks don't use their generation name. Shi Guolin is such a case - his Shaolin monk name is Yansi, but he goes by another Buddhist name, Guolin.

Starchaser107
10-23-2003, 10:57 AM
ok tnx,... another question though,
why was the performance comprised mostly of competition wushu techs? Is it because they feel that the flair of wushu will attract a larger audience and more ppl can appreciate it because of its beauty?
I wasn't bored though , time seemed to pass quickly while the show was going on. The transitions into the various acts and segments was seemless, and there was always movement on stage even while there was stillness.

David Jamieson
10-23-2003, 11:08 AM
One more thingy :D

The ads all over town for teh "Shaolin Warriors" declare them as coming from ....wait for it..... "The Shaolin Temple in Beijing"

what the? I thought. Should i tell them that the Shaolin temple is in Henan? Would it matter? LOL.

Ah who cares, it's a wu shu show and it's better than Celine Dion in vegas or the blah cirque du soliel "hey lets bungee again and again" shows. Man, they are getting as old as river dance!

Frankly, I'd rather go watch a bunch of wushu kids dressed up like buddhist monks doing chang chuan sets all night.

cheers

disclaimer - Shaolin wheel of life show and Shaolin Warriors show are 2 different outfits. I haven't had the opportunity to see wheel of life yet, missed it last time it came through, but I have seen Warriors. It was "ok", it was not "spectacular" But then, I've had teh pleasure of seeing some real good kungfu in my lifetime, so I'm biased lol.

GeneChing
10-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Shaolin Warriors was done with Beijing directors. Shaolin Wheel of Life was done by European directors. Personally I find Wheel far superior as entertainment. At Shaolin Temple, they all generally focus on modern wushu for demos because it's more flashy, more appealing than traditional since most people don't really understand traditional. For that matter, traditional isn't really a performance art. They don't really the competition routines - it's really just the flashy stuff, what you would expect for a popular show.

But as for the Shaolin Temple in Beijing, reread my cover story with the Abbot in the Shaolin Special 2003 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=397) that I have been plugging so hard recently and you'll find out about the plans to open a new Shaolin Temple in Tianjin, just an hour away from Beijing, scheduled to open in 2008, just in time for the Olympics...

David Jamieson
10-23-2003, 02:45 PM
gene-

you don't think bsl is flashy? :D

as far as trad kungfu goes, i think its one of the flashiest styles going.

soon, shaolin temples will be everywhere i guess lol. they'll run out of monks!

are they all Chan though?

cheers

GeneChing
10-24-2003, 10:21 AM
I used to think BSL was flashy, especially with the one-handed handstand into splits. Of course, wushu does aerials into splits. I've seen footage of a wushu-like BSL #5 from a tournament held in PRC. Unfortunately it was jsut one quick segment, with no reference to track down.

Shaolin "temples" are everywhere. As for 'official" shaolin temples, there is only one in Henan. As Abbot Yongxin says in that interview posted above, the three southern temples aren't officially recognized. The new northern one will be, even though it is founded on only one surviving pagoda.

As for Shaolin schools, they'll never run out of disciples. Just do the math - if there's 13,000 students at Taguo and Taguo is one of 80 schools in Dengfeng, that's a lot of Shaolin practitioners.

But are they all Chan? Therein lies a key question. I've often argued that Chan can be transmitted by uncoventional means, including the very forms of Shaolin Kung Fu. I find Chan elements in BSL. The philosophy is implicit. However, just like Chan itself, few reach that level. And I'm not saying I'm one of those few by any means. Are all the Shaolin grads Chan? Definately not. But many are. So it's a real mixed bag.

Benny D
11-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Wow, I didn't know they were two seperate troops. I am attedning Wittenberg University right now and the Shaolin Warriors are coming on the 18th of this month (November). I also own the DVD of the Shaolin Wheel of Life and it is absolutely amazing, I hope I am able to witness a similar spectacle.

What is the main difference of the two shows?

Shaolinlueb
11-02-2003, 04:07 PM
yeah just what i want to see. shaolin monks doing modern wushu :rolleyes: no thanks. i'll just find branches of shaolin in other parts of asia because the temple is becoming to commercial and losing its meaning to me.

GeneChing
11-03-2003, 11:30 AM
They are separate but there is overlap. Chen Fei, mentioned above, participated in both shows.

As for the traditional in those shows, well, traditional doesn't really show well. There is a small exibition of xiaohong (a traditional shaolin form) in both shows, but most people completely ignore it. No flips, no aerials, doens't read well from stage. Got to keep the context in mind. It's a show, after all.

Shaolinlueb
11-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
They are separate but there is overlap. Chen Fei, mentioned above, participated in both shows.

As for the traditional in those shows, well, traditional doesn't really show well. There is a small exibition of xiaohong (a traditional shaolin form) in both shows, but most people completely ignore it. No flips, no aerials, doens't read well from stage. Got to keep the context in mind. It's a show, after all.

yeah thats true gene about the show part. I just read the article in this months magazine where they are coming out with the shaolin wushu compulsirary(sp?) sets. I believe you wrote it. anyway, good job on the article, makes me understand more.

I am just disapointed when i read the article online about the guy going to study there and he passed him the book with the money in it to train. :(

GeneChing
11-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Thanks for reading my work. The compulsories article is in the Shaolin Specia

As for Antonio Graceffo's article, it's sad and it'll get more sad. He's working on a book of his adventures in China. The situation with book in the temple is tough, but that kind of thing happens at any monastery that has such a high tourist appeal. The interesting thing is that after such a negative experience, Antonio still has great love and respect for Shaolin. We'll post part two of his story next week. If you all like his work, let me know, since he has a lot more.

Have you read the latest Shaolin ezine article? (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=417). It's by John Greenhow, who is still at Shaolin now. Both Antonio's and John's experiences contrast sharply with each other (and with mine) and we were all there early this year. That's the amazing thing about Shaolin. Everyone sees a different thing. Some might say it's like a mirror, like Chan. But others might take the example of the 6th patriarch, and know that this analogy doesn't hold dust. ;)

Starchaser107
11-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Gene , I am aware that certain forms will occur in seperate schools , but they might have differences in them,
I noticed the xiaohong form in the performance but this is the 4th incarnation of it i've seen, including my own and all look different.

If it's a shaolin traditional form, how comes shaolin has so much variations of it?

Shaolinlueb
11-05-2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks for reading my work. The compulsories article is in the Shaolin Specia

As for Antonio Graceffo's article, it's sad and it'll get more sad. He's working on a book of his adventures in China. The situation with book in the temple is tough, but that kind of thing happens at any monastery that has such a high tourist appeal. The interesting thing is that after such a negative experience, Antonio still has great love and respect for Shaolin. We'll post part two of his story next week. If you all like his work, let me know, since he has a lot more.

Have you read the latest Shaolin ezine article? (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=417). It's by John Greenhow, who is still at Shaolin now. Both Antonio's and John's experiences contrast sharply with each other (and with mine) and we were all there early this year. That's the amazing thing about Shaolin. Everyone sees a different thing. Some might say it's like a mirror, like Chan. But others might take the example of the 6th patriarch, and know that this analogy doesn't hold dust. ;)

I still want to go there, but more of a pilgrimage. I would do a little training not much. I will check out the ezine now.

GeneChing
11-05-2003, 05:43 PM
SCR107: It's a mistake to think that traditional is static. Martial arts forms, like all arts, are vital. So take for example something as traditional as classical music - each conductor might have his own variation. A master painter may paint in a traditional style, but his or her works will express an individual style. If it doesn't, he's not really an original master, just a derivation. Variation on expression is very different from derivation from tradition - but it is a fine line to the untrained eye. This can be a real tricky issue for some, especially if you're fixated on the movements of the forms and not the essence of what they express.

sll: Please don't take these articles as discouragement of your desire to go. I don't think that either John and Antonio had this intention, and I certainly don't. The truth is that any real pilgrimage is fraught with challenges unforeseen. Antonio, John and I have had our hardships there, still do in fact, but I doubt any of us would trade our experiences there for a comfortable sofa in front of the tube, if you know what I mean.
And to be frank, you better train if you go to Shaolin. Otherwise, it's not much of a pilgrimage. You'll get there, I daresay. :cool:

Starchaser107
11-05-2003, 05:58 PM
k

johngreenhow
11-05-2003, 06:31 PM
I didn't mean to put any one off going, or to devalue the place for anyone - it's just an account of what I learned there and perhaps with hindsight of what I'm taking away with me.

Yes, people will try to rip you off in Shaolin. But keep your eyes open and stay sensible, just like you would at home. Don't believe everything you're told, learn your own lessons.

Go there, train and learn what makes Shaolin, well, Shaolin. It's that constant background rhythm of the setting and acheiving of goals, that focus, motivation and drive that keeps those people doing what they do for so long. The acceptance that there are no shortcuts, no esoteric, hidden skills (well, not many), just hard work. Shaolin's a focal point for your own kungfu. You'll earn respect there if you work hard and contempt if you don't and that might help you along.

Even if Shaolin's not your style I think there's a lot to be gained from just training for a while. Escapism at it's very purest, and a chance to see what your mind will do given a bit of space from the everyday you're used to.

The hardest part of Shaolin is people arriving expecting this silent and peaceful place all tucked away in the mountains, and so many get dissappointed by the modern commercial reality. But if you can accept this reality as something that was aways going to happen, just another part of the Game, and take what Shaolin DOES have to offer, then you could have a very rewarding experience.

John

By the way, I've just left Shaolin and am kicking around at the base of Wudang Shan waiting for the rain to stop so I can hike up to the top. No trucks or cars possible as the road's under some kind of construction work. Course, there are those who see the pack on my back and PROMISE me they can take me up for just 300RMB, that I'll never walk it. Just playing the Game - I know what I'm here for.

Shaolinlueb
11-06-2003, 09:47 PM
sll: Please don't take these articles as discouragement of your desire to go. I don't think that either John and Antonio had this intention, and I certainly don't. The truth is that any real pilgrimage is fraught with challenges unforeseen. Antonio, John and I have had our hardships there, still do in fact, but I doubt any of us would trade our experiences there for a comfortable sofa in front of the tube, if you know what I mean.
And to be frank, you better train if you go to Shaolin. Otherwise, it's not much of a pilgrimage. You'll get there, I daresay. :cool:

if I do i will look you up.

bodhitree
11-07-2003, 07:27 AM
I'm seeing shaolin warriors tonight! I 've seen wheel of life on video. I'll let you know whats what after the weekend.

Tak
11-07-2003, 10:30 AM
If you all like his work, let me know, since he has a lot more.
I like both Antonio's and John's work, and would like to see more of it in the ezine.

bodhitree
11-10-2003, 07:11 AM
From the wheel of live video I saw,
I thought warriors was much, much better. They just seemed more creative and more talented,
BUt....my opinion is worthless.

GeneChing
11-10-2003, 04:10 PM
I lean towards wheel since it was more artsy. As for the kung fu, they were about the same to me. Keep in mind that the performers rotate, so individual performances might differ.

norther practitioner
11-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Keep in mind that the performers rotate, so individual performances might differ.

Scarey how few people actually realize this....:D

bodhitree
11-11-2003, 06:46 AM
warriors seemed more artsy to me
I guess everything is in the eye of the individual!

GeneChing
11-11-2003, 10:17 AM
After working in music for so long, you learn that there's a lot to the moment of live performance. I remember working Steel Pulse two nights in a row, first at San Jose Events then next at Oakland's H.J. Kaiser. The first show sucked. SJ acoustics were horrible, sending the horn section int a jangly clashy mess. The next day was incredible. The Kaiser has incredible acoustics, an old masonic building that resonnates - the horns sounded like gospel. The band was fully aware of this and really turned it on for the Kaiser show. So it was like one show was a -1 and the next was a 10+.

I think a lot of people get really desensitized to the power of live performance with videos and recorded stuff. Especially now, with all the special effects. But if you've been in the moment of performance, especially with martial arts, you can really feel the qi. I also argue that some expressions of martial arts, like fajing, just don't capture well on film. Not that there was a lot of fajing in Wheel or Warriors, but the point stands. There is something to be said for live touring martial arts troupes.

bodhitree
11-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Gene
you know us deadheads appreaciate live performances;) I'm actually starting lion dancing class tonight. I've been sifuless for about 2 months now, and I want to put all my focus on this. It is Fat San style, but I don't know anything about lion dancing. THe teacher did say that we are expected to perform!

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

GeneChing
11-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Did I ever show you this? (http://www.rockmed.org/lion94.htm)

norther practitioner
11-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Nice article.....

We've had discussions about things like this before, scarey how ego can drive people, and how an ego got it started, but in a way, was never involved.

blooming lotus
11-17-2003, 07:42 PM
I have also recently spent time in China and have read Both articles from Anthony and John. I didn't have the privilage of being in Shaolin Village, as I was busy teaching elswhere. Please dont see their comments as a reason to be put off From going to China. While I find their stories to be an extremely acurate representation of life in , not only Sholin but China in general, I urge you to take this as a handy guide to: Still go, but be prepared..this is how life is here..but in saying, there is no experience like it...if you're after an authentic Chinese expereience, Go to China...

better the devil you know

Cheers guys and thnx for the articles. love your work ;)

Benny D
11-20-2003, 12:51 AM
I saw Warriors last night. It was really awesome, quite pleased with it. They aren't actual monks right? I spoke some Chinese with them, but they speak to quickly for me to understand still.

:) Great show though. Wheel is better in my opinion.

GeneChing
11-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Well said Blooming Lotus! We have truly bloomed indeed. Why I remember when you were first just emailing me to ask about going to China...;) I'm so glad you went and evenmore gald that you could take the bitter and still taste the sweet. China is very sweet, but bittersweet, a land of contrasts, of hardships, of yin and yang.

The Warriors and Wheel performers are all warrior monks, a special class of monks retained by Shaolin. They do not take all the vows of a fully indoctrinated Buddhist monk.

You all really have to read my latest article on this coming out in our next issue - JAN FEB 2004 - subscribers should be getting it right about.....now! :D

Bluesman
11-27-2003, 08:21 PM
For what it's worth, I thought Wheel of Life was much better. Warrior came off to me kinda of silly at times spinning on their stools in the smoke. The show was not put together as well as Wheel. But I did see a guy there in Lexington speaking to one of the monks and I thought that he could have been Gene. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
12-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Here's our new issue (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kf200120.html) with that story I mentioned above. It's titled Shaolin's Second Wave. Check it out.

blooming lotus
12-01-2003, 04:42 PM
I recently saw or heard somewhere that the wheel of life will be in sydney in the nxt couple of mths and took note because I may be in the coutry..Have no idea wher I got this information, does anyone have further details???

Nards
05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Anyone else in Houston seen this? The Society of Performing Arts is putting it on Oct 27-28 at Jones Hall here in Houston. Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.spahouston.org/CalendarList.aspx?series=0

DMK
05-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Helllo Nards,
This is the first I have heard ,we will have keeep posting

Pk_StyLeZ
05-31-2007, 07:41 PM
wow another shaolin show?
but aww...dat on halloween weekend...that when i usually go to austin....grrrrrr

SunBeam
06-05-2007, 08:27 AM
First I've seen of it. I might try to go.

DMK
10-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Many of you already know there will be a Shaolin Tour in Houston.
It will be Oct 27-28 at Jones Hall.
Any planning to go?

GeneChing
10-16-2007, 10:30 AM
You mean this (http://www.houstontheaterdistrict.org/en/cev/?2213)? That's the same show that's coming here to the S.F. area (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=796652&postcount=79). I've seen an earlier version of this, but the 007 tour is probably updated. I'm sure it has a slightly different cast. The casts tend to rotate for each tour.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-16-2007, 02:29 PM
i plan to go
but thats halloween weekend
and i plan to go to austin to party also
so i probably wont go to this show
unless i am not in austin
=)

Immortal_Dragon
10-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Spend time with your family.
or go to Austin to party.
Theres been a lot of Shaolin shows in Houston
most of them are the same.
:D

xcakid
10-17-2007, 06:48 AM
Anyone know if they are coming to Dallas since they are going to be here in TX anyways?

sha0lin1
10-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Not sure about Dallas but they will be in San Antonio on Oct. 24th at 7:30pm.

DMK
10-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes Gene this is the same show . I didnt know there was a shaolin tour until I saw it here and to be honest I hardly ever see martial arts related events in Houston . Outside the loop toward bellaire yes there are numerous schools, but inside the loop there are Tai chi for health, differnt off springs of Yang style, and I believe one chen style and one contemporary wushu and one very traditional school.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Learn Kung Fu from the Shaolin Monks of China!

Shaolin Warriors
Martial Arts Master Class
FREE
1:30-2:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 27
Melcher Gymnasium
University of Houston
3855 Holman

i saw that on this site http://www.spahouston.org/CalendarDetail.aspx?event=56#tickets
so.....the monks are going to be giving a free class??
or is this some other teacher giving a free class??
anyone in houston know anything about this??

Nards
10-18-2007, 01:12 PM
I just saw that class at UH also. It sounds like the monks are doing a free class, so I'm planning on going to that and the show at Jones Hall, but ****... I think I'll be sitting in the nosebleeds. It's pretty expensive!

Pk_StyLeZ
10-18-2007, 04:14 PM
I just saw that class at UH also. It sounds like the monks are doing a free class, so I'm planning on going to that and the show at Jones Hall, but ****... I think I'll be sitting in the nosebleeds. It's pretty expensive!

u saw it at UH??u saw it on campus??
where did u see it on campus??

GeneChing
10-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Check out this article from Cal State Long Beach

Shaolin warriors bring Ancient art of 'Wushu' (http://media.www.daily49er.com/media/storage/paper1042/news/2007/10/18/Diversions/Shaolin.Warriors.Bring.Ancient.Art.Of.wushu-3041104.shtml)
Misako Miyagawa
Issue date: 10/18/07 Section: Diversions

Ancient tradition met with martial arts extravaganza as the Shaolin Warriors performed Saturday afternoon at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center.

The crowd of more than 600 was treated to a stunning display of martial arts prowess involving hand-to-hand and traditional weapon combat.

But the Shaolin Warriors are no ordinary performers. They are Buddhist monks, most in their 20s, whose combination of rigorous fighting strength and peaceful contemplation makes for an intriguing paradox.

Popularized in such movies as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," the image of the gentle yet formidable warrior monk has entertained, if not mystified, audiences around the world.

But beyond its entertainment value, explanation of the true meaning behind Chinese "kung fu" rarely reaches western shores.

Adorned in bright saffron-orange attire, the Shaolin Warriors captured the audience with movements of potent grace and exhilarating athleticism known as "wushu." Even the sound of the term seems to embody what it does: humans hurling through space with extraordinary speed, elegance and power.

In Chinese, the word "wushu" is composed of two written characters: "wu," meaning military, and "shu," referring to art. Together, the term literally means "the art of war," or martial arts, said Eric Chen, head instructor of the National Wushu Training Center in Southern California, and one of the first Americans trained by Chinese wushu teams in the early '80s.

But far from a prescription for glorified aggression, closer inspection of the same two characters reveals a more philosophical meaning. "Wu" has the appearance of a knife and "shu" can be seen to signify "stop," or the art of not fighting, Chen said.

An even more esoteric connotation of "wu" is written differently in ancient Chinese. But because it sounds the same, it can be defined as "dancing," Chen explained, while others interpret it as "flowering hand."

The heart of wushu thus embraces the integration of intensity and fluid aesthetic form based on Buddhist principles of peace, restraint, humility and respect.

Just so, the Shaolin Warriors demonstrated gentle, meditative formations blended with stylized flurries of weapons such as the sword, spear, three-part-staff, trident and halberd.

Many wushu styles are also inspired by the natural world. The Shaolin Warriors delighted Saturday's audience with movements unmistakable for their tiger, monkey, crane, frog and scorpion origins, as well as the mythic dragon.

GeneChing
10-18-2007, 04:40 PM
continued (http://media.www.daily49er.com/media/storage/paper1042/news/2007/10/18/Diversions/Shaolin.Warriors.Bring.Ancient.Art.Of.wushu-3041104-page2.shtml)
The performance was accompanied by traditional Chinese music and backdrops of towering Buddha figures and mist-filled scenic terrains, giving the audience a view into another time and place.

Wushu can be seen in films such as "Hero," "Fearless," "Shanghai Noon" and "Kung Fu Hustle." It also inspired the martial arts sequences in "The Matrix."

Wushu, however, is not a particular style, but an umbrella term that encompasses all Chinese martial arts and thus accounts for its rich variety of forms, Chen said.

And contrary to popular Western notions, kung fu literally means excellence or mastery in any endeavor, Chen clarified. For example, it can be said that one's cooking, drawing or basketball "kung fu" is very good. But in the martial arts, the term kung fu tends to reference the traditional and non-contemporary combat version of wushu, Chen said.

It is said that wushu dates back many centuries, to the monks at the legendary Shaolin Temple in Henan Province, China. Wushu was meant to fortify the body in balance with the monks' long hours of seated meditation, said a representative of the Shaolin Warriors group in an e-mailed statement.

"It evolved into a fighting art later, when the monks needed to defend themselves [against bandits] in war-torn feudal China," the representative said.

The Shaolin Monastery eventually fell into neglect and was all but abandoned during the early years of the communist Chinese revolution.

According to Chen, it was the 1982 film "Shaolin Temple," starring action-movie icon and wushu champion Jet Li, that single-handedly revived interest in the monastery. The temple is now a popular tourist attraction.

Based on standards established by the Chinese government in the late '50s, modern wushu is a competitive but largely non-combative performance sport, according to Chen.

But wushu is also an everyday part of life in China. It is practiced by school children nationwide, with a slower tai-chi wushu form commonly practiced among older adults.

Globally, wushu will gain wider exposure in a non-medal competition in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, according to the official Olympics web site.

Whether monk, movie star or amateur, the art and discipline of wushu fosters flexibility, endurance and a calm mind and spirit, in forms at once ancient yet timeless, powerful yet beautiful.

We should rename this thread Shaolin Warriors when the tour is done. Or maybe I'll just merge it to the original 2000 thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1953s).

Nards
10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
u saw it at UH??u saw it on campus??
where did u see it on campus??

i mean i just saw on spahouston.org the free class at UH listed.

i just looked and they have a list of performers. anyone recognize any of them:

Performers
Pengfei Chen, Haohao Song, Qinpei Shi, Long Yuan, Tao Hao, Changbao Feng, Yanfei Zhang, Jie Zhao, Chenxi Wang, Chunpei Song, Kunkun Cao, Zhuo Chen, Hao Lu, Weixiao Ma, Long Chen, Dawei Zhai, Chuanqiang Yuan, Xianwei Liu, Xingchao Fan, Husile Wu, Tiancheng Zhao, Xin Liu

Pk_StyLeZ
10-18-2007, 08:36 PM

Performers
Pengfei Chen, Haohao Song, Qinpei Shi, Long Yuan, Tao Hao, Changbao Feng, Yanfei Zhang, Jie Zhao, Chenxi Wang, Chunpei Song, Kunkun Cao, Zhuo Chen, Hao Lu, Weixiao Ma, Long Chen, Dawei Zhai, Chuanqiang Yuan, Xianwei Liu, Xingchao Fan, Husile Wu, Tiancheng Zhao, Xin Liu

look like i seen tht list somewhere before...haha
then again..i dont know chinese..they all look sound alike...haha...

GeneChing
10-19-2007, 10:55 AM
...but it's notable that they are all using common names and not Shaolin disciple names. ;)

DRAGONSIHING
10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
This show is going to be a t McFarlin Auditorium on SMU Campus on 10-25 & 26th. Have heard nothing else about any other appearances or trainings while their here. I will be there Fri. nite,26th.

xcakid
10-19-2007, 11:46 AM
This show is going to be a t McFarlin Auditorium on SMU Campus on 10-25 & 26th. Have heard nothing else about any other appearances or trainings while their here. I will be there Fri. nite,26th.

Awesome. Thanks for the info

GeneChing
10-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm retitling this thread Shaolin Warriors, since it's a national tour. Houston is just the starting point of this discussion. I've also merged it with the original Shaolin Warriors thread, from back in 2000.

Zen Philosophy Meets Martial Arts in the Shaolin Warriors (http://www.buffalo.edu/news/8921)
Release Date
10/23/07

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Center for the Arts at the University at Buffalo will present Shaolin Warriors at 8 p.m. on Nov. 19 in the Mainstage theater in the Center for the Arts on the UB North (Amherst) Campus. The performance is sponsored in part by the UB Students Association.

In a fully choreographed theatrical production, the Shaolin Warriors bring the remarkable skill, stunning movement and spectacular imagery of Kung Fu to stages throughout the world. The show is performed by disciples of the Shaolin schools, known internationally for their disciplined and deadly martial-arts prowess. These Kung Fu masters have trained from a very young age in mental and physical disciplines, which allow them to perform feats one thought only possible in the movies. The production features many forms of Shaolin Kung Fu, as well as a look at the daily life of the warriors and their Zen philosophy.

In 525 A.D., when a Buddhist monk from India, Ta Mo, founded the Shaolin Monestery, he probably had no idea that nearly 1,500 years later, the monks of Shaolin would still be held in great reverence while demonstrating their remarkable skill and stunning movement to audiences throughout modern-day China and around the world. The early Shaolin monks embarked on a long process to develop a system of defense by meditating on the attack and defense movements of animals, called wushu, that lived near their monastery. However, even with all of their remarkable fighting abilities, the Shaolin monk's skills are never put to aggressive use.

Tickets for Shaolin Warriors are $22 general admission and $10 for students. Tickets are available from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday in the Center for the Arts Box Office and all Ticketmaster locations, including Kaufmann's. To charge tickets, call 852-5000; in Canada, call 1-416-870-8000. For group sales, call 645-6771. For more information, call 645-ARTS. The Center for the Arts is a Ticketfast location. Students (of any school) must present valid student ID at the Center Box Office to receive discount.

Shaolinlueb
10-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Nov 27th. the Tuesday After Thanksgiving they are coming to UMASS AMherst. I plan on going with a bunch of students to support them. Plus its gonna be fun.

GeneChing
10-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Xinghao comments :cool:

Oct. 25, 2007, 6:20PM
Shaolin Warriors take art to new level (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/arts/theater/5246742.html)
By NANCY WOZNY
For The Chronicle

It's best not to enter into a squabble with a Shaolin monk. Although Buddhism espouses a philosophy of nonviolence, the Shaolin Temple is famous for its style of martial arts.

The monks developed their fighting skills as a way to survive the perils of feudal China, when many monasteries were, like their European counterparts, landed estates that required protection.

"Shaolin was developed with many influences, including earlier forms of kung fu, yoga and other martial arts," said Zhan Yucheng, manager of the Shaolin Warriors, a 21-member troupe that will perform at Jones Hall this weekend.

Shaolin kung fu can be slow and fluid one moment, explosive the next. Every lightning-fast move happens in real time.

"Americans are surprised that the things they see in the show can be done without tricks or special effects," Zhan said.

The movements themselves imitate animals and other natural phenomena. "The frog teaches jumping, the monkey teaches flipping, the tiger strikes with power, and the scorpion with cunning and speed," Zhan said. "All of these things are important in kung fu."

The use of weapons — about 20 types — is also a distinct characteristic of Shaolin kung fu.

"Each performer has special strengths and must train to become an expert with one traditional weapon," Zhan said.

The performance is a highly theatrical version of the monks' daily life, practices and philosophy. The stage features painted backdrops of the temple and its surroundings. The choreography is flashy but authentic and is accompanied by a dramatic score.

Shi Xing Hao, who owns Shaolin Kung Fu Academy in southwest Houston, trained at the Shaolin Temple from age 13 to 25. He says the values of Shaolin martial arts remain relevant in the often-harried pace of modern life.

"It's a philosophy of art that builds self-confidence and motivation," Shi Xing Hao said.

The monks of Shaolin Warriors train specifically for the show, but their rigorous regimen also includes slower moments.

"They spend hours meditating and practicing kung fu," Zhan said. "They have a diet rich in rice and spend as much time outdoors as possible."

"A monk trains his mind perhaps more than his body. Strong mental as well as physical discipline is required," Zhan said. "Without concentration, physical strength is nothing."

Pk_StyLeZ
10-26-2007, 04:40 PM
who going to the free classs at UH tommarow??
i will be on campus already doing a project
so i ama drop by that area and chek itout
wont be going to da show
weeeeeeee

Nards
10-27-2007, 10:00 AM
I am. You going Mark?

sha0lin1
10-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Ryan,

Did you end up going to the class and how was it? I brought a contingent of students down Saturday from Austin to train with our Sifu. I asked him about going to check that class out and he said he thought it would be just the basics since it was open to the public so we didn't go since my students are already pretty well versed in the basics.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Ryan,

Did you end up going to the class and how was it? I brought a contingent of students down Saturday from Austin to train with our Sifu. I asked him about going to check that class out and he said he thought it would be just the basics since it was open to the public so we didn't go since my students are already pretty well versed in the basics.

me and ryan both went
there was 3 different groups
one group that had kung fu experience
one group that had martial art expereince
one group that never trained in anything
the kung fu group learned seven star form
the martial art group learned some form and part of lin huan chang
the group with no experience was learning tai chi??i couldnt really see, didnt pay attention either
it was just mostly form teaching...and some applications....

sha0lin1
10-29-2007, 07:02 AM
me and ryan both went
there was 3 different groups
one group that had kung fu experience
one group that had martial art expereince
one group that never trained in anything
the kung fu group learned seven star form
the martial art group learned some form and part of lin huan chang
the group with no experience was learning tai chi??i couldnt really see, didnt pay attention either
it was just mostly form teaching...and some applications....

Thanks for letting us know PK. Sounds cool, I already have learned Seven Star and my students that came down all know Lian Huan Quan but it sounds like if we went it would have been pretty cool to see if there were any variations or different applications outside what Shi Xing Ying teaches.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for letting us know PK. Sounds cool, I already have learned Seven Star and my students that came down all know Lian Huan Quan but it sounds like if we went it would have been pretty cool to see if there were any variations or different applications outside what Shi Xing Ying teaches.

i learned 7star from sifu xing ying before and it was different.(well not really but some part was different, just some hand position was in different spots)
i dont think he(the guy at the class teaching) finished teaching the form...but he did demonstrate it at the very beginning before the classes.
lin huan chang was a little bit different though

Nards
10-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Hey Scott. Like Mark said, we both went to the UH class. It was pretty cool. There were 3 monks there. They came out and each did a form. One did a Hsing-I form, one did some Chen Tai Chi form, and another did 7 Star Fist form like Mark said. Then they broke everyone into the 3 groups. The monk teaching our group only finished teaching 7 Star to the first kick, so he didn't get all that far in it. Xing Hao was there too going around explaining things.

I went to the Jones Hall show on Sunday too and it was pretty cool too, but I liked the Tennessee show more.

GeneChing
10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
...did Xinghao know those monks?

Pk_StyLeZ
10-30-2007, 02:19 PM

i didnt ask...i wanted to...but xing hao was busy talking to everyone else...i didnt have time to sit and wait to talk to him after the class....i was on campus already working on a project and just took a break to go see the class

sha0lin1
10-31-2007, 07:28 AM

I asked Xing Ying and he said he did not know any of these monks. I am assuming that they were all probably Yan generation so Yan Feng may have known them but I guess he wasn't there.

GeneChing
10-31-2007, 09:55 AM
They might be different generations, but they were on many of the same tours and trained together extensively. Yanfeng was the kid monk back when Xinghao was one of the star performers. Deshan and Xingying were also in that group. So they probably know the same circles, more or less. I hung out with Xinghao back when he was at Shaolin in '95 a lot. I knew Yanfeng and Xingying too, but not as well. I didn't know Deshan - may have met him there and just forgot.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-31-2007, 01:08 PM
I asked Xing Ying and he said he did not know any of these monks. I am assuming that they were all probably Yan generation so Yan Feng may have known them but I guess he wasn't there.

ya yan feng trained with xing hao, xing ying, de shan, xing wei, li peng, xing hong, de cheng and etc.
IMO this was the best tour group and most skilled of all i seen

GeneChing
10-31-2007, 01:54 PM
... but I'm biased since I know most of the best (and one is my shifu ;))

They worked together the longest and formed the first major international tours, paving the way for those that followed. They were really the avant garde. They were there as Shaolin was first rising, so many of them saw Shaolin when it was a lot harder. The following generations lived in more luxury. I think some of the following tours were flashy, better shows even, but those first tours were much tighter in a martial way, especially with their sparring forms. The first group had to do it all - teach, perform, defend - it's like comparing football players of old (when there was no separation between offense and defense) and today's player, who has a lot of technology to rely upon.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-31-2007, 04:24 PM
... but I'm biased since I know most of the best (and one is my shifu ;))

They worked together the longest and formed the first major international tours, paving the way for those that followed. They were really the avant garde. They were there as Shaolin was first rising, so many of them saw Shaolin when it was a lot harder. The following generations lived in more luxury. I think some of the following tours were flashy, better shows even, but those first tours were much tighter in a martial way, especially with their sparring forms. The first group had to do it all - teach, perform, defend - it's like comparing football players of old (when there was no separation between offense and defense) and today's player, who has a lot of technology to rely upon.

yeah i guess u can call me bias too...since i know most of the one i just named also and trained with 4 of them.....
but its true, the new generations are living much more luxury than the older generation.

GeneChing
10-31-2007, 04:42 PM
When we say luxury, the bulk of Shaolin students are still crapping in trenches that are emptied manually. That's got to be one of the worst jobs in the world - 3rd world sewage management. But I don't think they're eating as many rats as before. Did you catch the section in Matt Polly's American Shaolin (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26966) where Xinghong discusses that?

sha0lin1
11-01-2007, 07:22 AM
They might be different generations, but they were on many of the same tours and trained together extensively. Yanfeng was the kid monk back when Xinghao was one of the star performers. Deshan and Xingying were also in that group. So they probably know the same circles, more or less. I hung out with Xinghao back when he was at Shaolin in '95 a lot. I knew Yanfeng and Xingying too, but not as well. I didn't know Deshan - may have met him there and just forgot.

When Nards and I went to Tennessee with Xing Ying and Yan Feng to see that group perform. All of those guys with the exception of the young ones were Yan Feng's classmates. It was funny, Yan Feng was upset because when he was at Shaolin he was taller than all of them and now they are all taller than him. That performance was called Hui Guang, it was the story about a group of bandits that attacked a mother and her infant son to rob them, mother and son get separated during the attack, a group of Monks happen to stumble upon the turmoil and save the baby, and raise him up at the temple. Well you know the rest. That show was really good, we were talking to the promoters and they may tour it next year, we'll see.

Xing Hao is really a cool guy. I don't know De Shan that well, never was formally introduced, but when we perform at various festivals we often cross paths. Wish we all could collaborate more together but the Houston Shaolin are very independent of each other. My master would like to have one school with four masters, I think that that would be awesome but will probably never happen.

GeneChing
11-01-2007, 09:42 AM
When I first met Yanfeng, he was training at the wushuguan under all the monks above. There were other kids, not many, Yanfeng was in a class by himself. I had never seen a kid that motivated and focused before. He was constantly training (and he was really young back then - we're talking '95). I'm now wondering if Yanfeng's classmates on this tour were from that period. I'm wondering if they were all wushuguan students.

I also recant the comment I made earlier about Yanfeng being in the same circles as Xinghao, Xingying, Deshan, et.al. They were all training together, but Yanfeng was a kid and the others were adults (actually Xingying was a teen, but still more adult that Yanfeng). Their age would have certainly had an effect on the social circles and their memories. I can't remember a lot of the kids and junior students that I taught and trained with back in my Lam Kwoon days. I really only remember those that were adults, and even they are a little sketchy.

Didn't realize Shaolin Warriors had progressed that much with the plot of their show. That stands to reason, in retrospect. The original was fairly abstract, based on the seasons, but really minimal in terms of storyline.

GeneChing
11-06-2007, 11:05 AM
This sounds more like the tour I saw so long ago - the four scenes, the four seasons. I remember a shami being involved (a shami is always involved - that was Yanfeng's role as a child) but I don't remember an infant. Can anyone clarify this?

Shaolin Warriors At The Belk Theater (http://www.wsoctv.com/charlotteevents/14447379/detail.html)
WHAT:
“…I felt like I had stumbled upon some secret place, a place where extraordinary men challenge the limits of the human condition.” –The Greenville News

Shaolin Warriors is more than a Kung Fu show. The four scenes of summer, autumn, winter and spring depict the philosophical theory of the cycle in Buddhism. The unique artistic conception of summer, spring, autumn and winter vividly shows the rarely-seen temple life of the Shaolin monks: their Buddhist meditation, as well as their martial arts training during the coldest and hottest times of the year. In addition to the breath-taking Kung Fu display, an attentive audience will gain some understanding of the pride of Chinese Buddhism, the doctrine of “Unity of Zen and Martial Arts.”

Pk_StyLeZ
11-07-2007, 07:44 PM
here some sample clips from the show
found it on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6y8LHVk9hs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJRyJEkdQww

scholar
11-22-2007, 08:57 AM
I recently saw the Shaolin Tour. It was definitely worth it. Besides some hokey music and the demo weapons, the forms were good, the performers serious and the presentation respectful.

If this one comes to town, people should see it, even if they don't train Shaolin.

scholar
11-22-2007, 09:03 AM
http://www.beat.com.au/article.php?id=631

GeneChing
11-26-2007, 12:01 PM
The nice thing about this article is it gives the official website - http://www.cpaap.com/shaolin.htm

Strength and grace: Shaolin Warriors bring their brand of martial arts to the Z (http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071122/ENTERTAIN/711220333)
November 22, 2007 6:00 AM

The Shaolin Warriors bring the remarkable skill, stunning movement, and spectacular imagery of Kung Fu to the Zeiterion Performing Arts Center at 8 p.m. Friday in a performance that's sure to dazzle the audience.

The Masters of Shaolin — known throughout the world for their disciplined spirituality and lethal martial-arts prowess developed from a very young age — showcase many forms of Shaolin Kung Fu in this spectacularly choreographed theatrical production. They also provide a glimpse into the daily life of the Warriors.

According to The Washington Post, "They combine the agility and grace of gymnasts with the showmanship of Cirque du Soleil performers."

Or, as TimeOut magazine in New York put it, "Not many people would ever think of hitting a holy man, but just in case you're ever tempted, you should know that the Shaolin Buddhist monks of China could kick your ass from here to nirvana."

Located in the Henan province of central China, the Shaolin Temple was founded in 525 AD by a Buddhist monk from India named Ta Mo. He laid the foundation for the martial arts out a commitment to enhancing harmony between mind, body and spirit through Ch'an (Zen), an intense form of meditation.

Today, 23 monks from that same temple travel the world as the Shaolin Warriors performing a re-creation of a "day" at the temple — the serenity of morning meditation, the stunning physicality of daily exercises, and amazingly choreographed scenes of ritual combat.

"In addition to the breath-taking kung fu show, an attentive audience will gain some understanding of the profoundness of Chinese Buddhism, the Doctrine of 'Unity of Zen and Martial Arts' in particular," states their Web site, www.cpaap.com/shaolin.htm

The monks train for several hours daily to perfect the art of hand-to-hand and weapons combat. Each of them is required to reach high proficiency in the temple's 18 traditional weapons and become the master of one. These weapons include the common ax, cudgel, spear, halberd, sword and broadsword, three-section staff, dart, dagger, black tiger hammer, tiger hooks and more.

Buddhism and Buddhist monks espouse a philosophy of non-violence and non-aggression, but the practices of the Shaolin Warriors are not at odds with these tenets. Their goal is not violence and bloodshed, but rather what is referred to as "stillness in movement," the reward of a serene mind, cultivated through meditation.

After seeing Friday's performance, audience members will no doubt agree with The Orange County Register that the Shaolin Warriors are —¦ so good at what they do, it almost looks like animation."

Tickets are $48, $45, $40 for all reserved seats. Tickets are available by calling the Z box office at (508) 994-2900 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, online at www.zeiterion.org; or at the box office, 684 Purchase St., New Bedford.

Group sales tickets are available by calling (508) 997-5664 Ext. 16. The venue is handicapped accessible.

Convenient parking is available in the adjacent garage for $2

quddha
11-27-2007, 11:37 AM

Performers

Most of them were casted from the Beijing area. I recognized some of the faces from the Shaolin school I was training at this summer in Fangshan Beijing.

Ma Weixiao is a friend of mine I met during the summer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqgaJYQ8NtM

He did the double whipchains during the show. Another one who did a lot of the Qi Gong stuff, I call "mean coach" because I saw him break a staff on a student's butt when he was misbehaving, and he used to throw stuff at his students.

Xingchao Fan.... left the tour, he's now my coach. lol.

GeneChing
06-17-2009, 09:34 AM
This show just keeps going and going. it's the Shaolin energizer bunny...

Kung-fu masters Shaolin Warriors at Fairfield Croydon, and The Hawth, Crawley (http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/entertainment/Kung-fu-masters-Shaolin-Warriors-Fairfield-Croydon-Hawth-Crawley/article-1085207-detail/article.html)
Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 15:48

Witness death-defying feats of agility, strength and skill from kung-fu masters Shaolin Warriors.

Using Buddhist meditation and martial arts training the team display the art of hand-to-hand and weapons combat.

They are not only experts in using weapons but they demonstrate their ability to sustain extreme physical discomfort and pain.

Scenery, enchanting music and beautiful lights and props set the scene for this fully choreographed show.

Shaolin Warriors, Fairfield, Croydon, Friday, June 19, 8pm, £20.50, £21.50, 020 8688 9291, www.fairfield.co.uk

The Hawth, Crawley, Saturday, June 20, 7.30pm, £21 (£18, family £60), 01293 553636, www.hawth.co.uk.

Tensei85
06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Sounds awesome! I believe there's one coming to Mich. next month some time, can't wait to check it out...

GeneChing
07-06-2009, 05:31 PM
There's something really quaint about this review...

Theatre Review: Shaolin Warriors, Fairfield, Croydon (http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/theguide/Theatre-Review-Shaolin-Warriors-Fairfield-Croydon/article-1105448-detail/article.html)
Friday, July 03, 2009, 07:00

This is a show quite unlike any other: a blending of martial arts and showbiz to demonstrate the amazing feats of strength and mind-over-matter of which the human body is capable.

This is the first UK tour by the internationally acclaimed Shaolin Warriors, Kung Fu masters from China.

The choreography is sometimes spectacular, sometimes a little mundane and repetitive, but the skill of the 22 highly-trained participants is extraordinary as they demonstrate disciplines such as qigong, animal imitation boxing, drunken boxing and mock combat with traditional weapons.

Not to mention witnessing a man balanced by his comrades on the points of four spears or being rammed in the midriff with a telegraph pole wielded by six others.

Another lies on a bed of scimitar blades with a bed of nails on his stomach while a second warrior lies on top of that to have a marble slab on his stomach smashed with a sledgehammer. How do they think these things up?

There are light-hearted interludes when volunteers are invited on stage to get involved and the 30 or so youngsters who did a bit of Kung Fu training appeared to love it.

In fact Kung Fu looks to be such a positive way of channelling and harmlessly unleashing aggression that I think someone should start classes in schools and for grumpy old women. I'd enrol!

The music is mesmerising but the brochure's promise of "gorgeous scenery" and "hundreds of costumes" is an exaggeration. The scenery is just a temple backcloth and the costumes are mostly fluorescent orange Buddhist monk type outfits, which look good when the stage is darkened.

The show was subtitled Seasons of Life, though as there was no narration I had no idea which season was which.

But these are minor moans as this was a very different and mostly very entertaining show with the downside of making you go home feeling very unfit!

Diana Eccleston

4 stars

GeneChing
08-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I like their definition of wushu. It makes no sense whatsoever, but I still like it. ;)

Posted on: Tuesday, August 25, 2009
'Shaolin Warriors' show poetry in fighting (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090825/GETPUBLISHED/90824057)

The world renowned SHAOLIN WARRIORS, who sold out a full run at The Hawaii Theatre in 2002, return to Oahu to play just 6 shows at The Blaisdell Concert Hall from September 23 to 27, 2009. Tickets go on sale on July 22 at 9am.
Advertisement

Shaolin Warriors have mystified and excited US audiences in 3 US tours in the last decade. This appearance will be the first in their latest incarnation, leading a 20-city North American tour.

The group of 22 Buddhist monks from Shaolin Temple in China's Henan Province creates an amazing spectacle with their brand of high-flying martial arts and acrobatics. The audience's delight of motion is mixed with disbelief at the feats of strength, skill and endurance. While the show is highly entertaining it is also educational - these martial arts are grounded firmly in the mindfulness of Buddhist practice. The Shaolin Warriors fight mostly in silence while showing a disciplined stillness that comes from a serene mind.

The monks of Shaolin Warriors train specifically for the show, but their rigorous regimen also includes slower moments. Zhan Yucheng, manager of the Shaolin Warriors explains; "They spend hours meditating and practicing kung fu. They have a diet rich in rice and spend as much time outdoors as possible."

"A monk trains his mind perhaps more than his body. Strong mental as well as physical discipline is required," Zhan said. "Without concentration, physical strength is nothing."

Although the traveling theatrical performance of Shaolin Warriors has been in existence for less than ten years, the Kung Fu at the show's core was born 1,500 years ago, at Shaolin Monastery. The monastery was the center of spiritual and Kung Fu (Shaolin Chuan) practices. Wushu exercises, based on the attack and defense movements of animals that lived near the monastery, were used to develop a defense system of hand-to-hand and weapons combat that became sophisticated over generations.

That system of combat now enables choreographed martial arts feats so amazing they don't look real. The masters' butt-kicking, amazingly graceful hand-to-hand combat and weaponry skills have been described as "…a performance that's part action flick, part Cirque du Soleil" by the Boston Globe.

Standing out among the performers of this company are two young boys who despite their size and age have many chances to show off their physical and artistic abilities. The two are able to hold their own amongst the more experienced Shaolin performers on stage. They also lead some of the interaction with the audience – there is humor as well as serenity in the show.

Shaolin Warriors is a full sensory theatrical experience, as compelling as anything in modern dance and surely more hypnotic, especially when paired with a Shaolin temple backdrop, low lighting, piped-in Eastern music and ever-burning incense. Graceful maneuvering is the yin of the evening, unbelievable stunts provide the yang.

Tickets go on sale to the general public on Wednesday, July 22 at 9am. Tickets for opening night are all priced at $35, with $5 to be donated directly to the Palolo Chinese Home. Tickets for the rest of the run range $30 to $60 with $10 discounts for children, seniors, students, and military, available in person from the Blaisdell Box Office, charge by phone with Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000, at outlets in Macy's at Ala Moana and Pearlridge and online at www.ticketmaster.com.

GeneChing
09-24-2009, 09:32 AM
There's vid on this first link.

I am the warrior (http://honoluluweekly.com/hotpicks/2009/09/i-am-the-warrior/)
Ryan Senaga
Sep 23, 2009
Shaolin Warriors

Combine monks with martial arts and you get extreme Zen.

Shaolin Warriors / What do you get when you mix Buddhist monks with deadly dexterous skill in martial arts? Shaolin Warriors! Twenty-two Buddhist monks from the Shaolin Temple in the Henan Province of China are coming to the Blaisdell Concert Hall to kick, slash, swirl, punch, and flip their way into your adrenaline cortexes with their crazy acrobatic skill, hand-to-hand combat and blade mastery. The group’s trademark sense of grace will bring a touch of zen to the proceedings.

This is not to say that they aren’t partial to lying on a plank of nails so their buddies can smash bricks on their bare chests with a sledgehammer. (We’d like to see Gallagher try that.) We’ll also be treated to the impressive visuals of swirling red robes with flashes of sharp, silver steel as well as awe-inspiring acts of balancing with bamboo poles.

The origins of this particular martial art are shrouded in mystery. Some say that the monks learned the techniques from ancient sacred scripture by one Bodhidharma, a Buddhist monk from India. Others say that this legend is baloney and the monks were already practicing their martial arts before the arrival of the aforementioned Indian monk. Regardless, here they are, not defending their monastery but giving the decadent West a taste of their different types of fists with names like Plum Flower, Seven Star and Big Flood.

The Boston Globe describes the troupe’s act as “part action flick, part Cirque du Soleil.” That pretty much sums it up. Just don’t expect any fatalities. It won’t be that kind of Mortal Kombat.

Nice that they are doing some charity

Senior Citizens get Sneak Peek of China's Shaolin Warriors (http://www.khon2.com/news/local/story/Senior-Citizens-get-Sneak-Peek-of-Chinas-Shaolin/XwF2YfYqBEupShzBm5ZrlA.cspx)
Contributor: Jessica Gellert
Last Update: 9/22 5:00 pm

Shaolin Warriors perform kungfu for residents of the Palolo Chinese Home.

Some lucky Honolulu residents got a sneak peek of kungfu at its best.

22 Shaolin Warriors from China showed off their master skills for the folks at the Palolo Chinese Home this morning.

The masters' hand-to-hand combat and weaponry skills had the crowd in awe.

“The young boys, the two young boys, they so young,” said resident Patsy Yamane. “It seems like they do all their tricks with their head,” she giggled.

The monks will perform at the Blaisdell Arena from the 23rd to the 27th.

Tickets for the 23rd show are all $35 and proceeds will go to the Palolo Chinese Home.

Tickets for all other shows range from $30 to $60.

Children under 18-years-old, college students, senior citizens and military get a $10 discount.

GeneChing
10-13-2009, 09:33 AM
There was a ton of news on the Hawaii run that I didn't bother to post here. The show must have done well there to warrant so much coverage.

Of all the tours, I never would have guessed that this one would have such legs in the U.S.

Last Updated: 12:29 pm | Sunday, October 11, 2009
Leaping warriors at Music Hall (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091011/ENT07/910110320/1032/ENT/Leaping+warriors+at+Music+Hall)

During the run of Roaring Tigers, Leaping Carp at Cincinnati Art Museum, the Cincinnati Art Association will host a one-night performance of the Shaolin Warriors, 7 p.m. Nov. 1 at Music Hall.

The Shaolin monastery was established in 525 A.D. by a Buddhist monk from India in what would later become the Henan province of central China. The Shaolin sect became known across Asia for its disciplined spiritualism and deadly martial-arts prowess.

Nearly 1,500 years later, the disciples of Shaolin are touring the world in a highly theatricalized look at their daily practice, including demonstrating "wushu" - their style of combat developed in war-torn, feudal China - and the fluid, animal-inspired movements of kung fu.

The show demonstrates use of more than 20 weapons, including the ax, cudgel, spear, halberd, sword and broadsword, three-section staff, dart, dagger, black tiger hammer, plum blossom broadsword, Bodhidharma staff, tiger hooks and more.

Through a practice known as Ch'an (think Zen), they calm the body and focus the mind to a single collected point in order to attain a mental state known as Samadhi, or complete mental absorption. The warriors fight mostly in silence, a direct result of practicing Samadhi.

Buy tickets ($25-$40) at 513-621-2787 and www.cincinnatiarts.org

solo1
10-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Just found out in class last night they are coming to Cincinnati several of us from our school are going, cant wait.

GeneChing
10-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I got kind of burned out with all the HI coverage, but yes, Shaolin Warriors is making it's way back across America again. Apparently they are in VA next. Here's an update:

Shaolin Warriors (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/21/AR2009102101626.html)
(Washington Performing Arts Society)
Thursday, October 22, 2009

The skill, movement and imagery of the Chinese art of kung fu comes to Fairfax this weekend. The performers are disciples of the Shaolin schools who combine agility, grace and martial-arts talents. They've trained from a very young age in mental and physical discipline, so expect to see very cinematic -- but very real -- feats by these peaceful warriors. A discussion will take place 45 minutes before each show in the Grand Tier Lobby.

Saturday at 8 p.m., Sunday at 4 p.m. George Mason University, Center for the Arts Concert Hall, 4400 University Dr., Fairfax. 703-993-2787, 888-945-2468 or http://www.gmu.edu/cfa. $22-$44.

GeneChing
11-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm still burned out after all the HI articles, but I'm posting this one here just to ttt this thread again.

Looks like we have a handful of Shaolin shows on the road around the world now - Wheel of Life (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10562), Holy Mountain (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55137), Sutra (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54913), Soul of Shaolin (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52939), and coming to the World Expo (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55355), Shaolin Temple: Saga of Warriors Monks... still not sure about Shaolin Spirit (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55601).

Watch and enjoy, grasshopper (http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/arts/69287862.html)
The Shaolin Warriors bring their entertaining discipline to the University of Wisconsin Whitewater's Yong Auditorium on Thursday.

Posted: Nov. 5, 2009

The warriors of China's famed Shaolin Temple, where kung fu was invented, come to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater next week to perform a dynamic program that is part demonstration, part entertainment.

The show takes the audience through a typical day at the temple, including meditation, chants and fighting skills exercises, some with traditional weapons. The techniques are spectacular and balletic, often involving several fighters performing a series of moves in unison.

The original Shaolin Buddhists devised kung fu as a means of protecting the temple from invaders. Soon, the exercises also were used to cultivate and focus the life force, known as "ch'i." Kung fu develops coordination, agility and control. It is entirely defensive, in keeping with Buddhist principles of nonviolence and nonconfrontation. When attacked with deadly force, a Shaolin warrior will respond with an immobilizing hold or a knock-out. His goal is to end the threat, not to kill his opponent.

The Shaolin Warriors perform at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at UW-Whitewater's Young Auditorium, 930 W. Main St. Tickets, $19-$34 general, $9.50-$17 students, are at the box office, (262) 472-2222, or online at uww.edu/youngauditorium.

solo1
11-10-2009, 01:14 PM
saw them recently in cincinnati it was a great show.

ghostexorcist
11-15-2009, 03:25 PM
On November 1, I went to a stage production at the Cincinnati Music Hall called "Shaolin Warriors." It was a two hour show of monks displaying their boxing and weapons prowess. The set design was beautiful, especially the mock temple which billowed mist. The back drops were gorgeous as well. One looked like a huge page from a boxing manual. They would drop this whenever they needed to change the set.

During this time, several monks gathered probably 30 children from the audience and lined them according to height all over the stage. The monk told them he would give them a kungfu lesson. He asked them if they were ready and then exploded into a lightning fast tornado of fist and legs. The kids just stood there dumbfounded. He finally showed them step-by-step and randomly repositioned children that were oriented wrong. They later did the same thing for two middle-aged men in the audience. Both were very funny.

The main curtain was the largest blowup of the famous painting of the light and dark-skinned monks practicing boxing I've ever seen.

Despite what the program booklet said, there was no discernable storyline other than the beginning, which showed monks of all ages stretching and training in the morning. The rest of the show was random displays of boxing and weapons.

It was awesome to see all of them doing forms in unison. It was like a rolling ocean of orange. The little monk kids were cute too. They were the comic relief.

Although I liked the show, it was not what I was expecting. I bought tickets to a show called "Shaolin: Circle of Life" (COL) roughly six years ago while I was still in the army, but didn't get to go. I later bought the dvd. COL had a very discernable story line which presented the history of the temple from it's founding to the destruction. Anytime a monk performed an animal style, a backdrop lit up of the corresponding fauna. They also performed several physical feats like metal bar and wooden dowel breaking, spear-on-throat, supporting a man on spears, bead of nails ans swords, and two-fingered handstands. They did perform some of these in the show I watched, but not all of them. It was still a neat experience, though.

I thought the "historical" info presented in the program booklet was funny. They claimed Bodhidharma founded the monastery. I think someone really needs to read up on the subject.

GeneChing
08-18-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure that this is the actual "Shaolin Warriors" tour. Shou the Tiger monk confuses me. And the Britain's Got Talent team was Matthew Ahmet's group (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52634&page=3).

Tiger Mania at Paradise Wildlife Park (http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Essex/Waltham-Abbey/EN9/Summer-Activities/Paradise-Wildlife-Park/172776-Tiger-Mania-at-Paradise-Wildlife-Park)
Published: 18th August 2010 10:45

Have you been to Paradise Wildlife Park in Broxbourne lately?

It has changed considerably in the last couple of years with new attractions include a large indoor play area Tumble Jungle, a Speedway Museum, On Safari Adventure Golf course, Tiger Falls Panning for Gold in addition to the wonderful wildlife park animals. This year the Paradise Lagoon Paddling Pool has been recently refurbished and they have just completed an amazing new observation walkway and Tiger Tree Tops cafe.

Paradise Wildlife Park is the UK's most interactive zoo. Get up close to our animals, including tigers, lions, monkeys, zebras, camels, penguins and many more. What makes Paradise unique is the fact you can touch and feed many of the animals.

Tiger Mania Summer Fun

Visit Paradise Wildlife Park this school summer holiday and help them celebrate the Chinese Year of the Tiger. There will be lots of additional activities going on from 1st August until 5th September including: extra tiger talks, big cat enrichment, colouring competitions and the 'Tiger Hot Spot' trail where you can learn fun facts about tigers. There will also be presentations about WHF the Big Cat Sanctuary (in Kent) which is owned by the Sampson family who run the award winning Paradise Wildlife Park.

Shou the tiger monk will host a special live action demonstration by the Shaolin Warriors (as seen on "Britian's Got Talent") at Safari Sam's Stage (Monday-Friday at 3pm) to demonstrate how animals are central to Shaolin culture. There will also be the chance for you to join the Shaolin Warriors for a workout and introductory training session in the Event Marquee at 3.30pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays (from the 4th of August). This sessions lasts approximately 30 minutes and costs £3 per person or 4 people for just £9, tickets can be booked in advance by calling 01992 470490 or can be purchased from the Pay Cabin on arrival.

The fun doesn't stop there as Safari Sam and his costume character friends including our newest addition Spot the Tiger will be greeting guests as well as hosting a special dance show on Saturday & Sundays at 3pm from 31st July.

This July they have had plenty of new arrivals joining them at the park including, Pink a young albino skunk, a pair of african pygmy hedgehogs, new baby Bactrian camel named Houdini and two baby male Meerkats.

Their animals have wasted no time in becoming TV stars with the pygmy hedgehogs and meerkats appearing on "Ideal World" recently. These little critters can be seen by guests on tours visiting 'The Studio' whilst our Meerkats are currently on the display in the ARC (Animal Resource Centre).
Name the Meerkats Competition

Paradise Wildlife Park are running a competition called 'Name the Meerkats' giving you the chance to officially name their two male baby meerkats. The winner will receive a complimentary ticket for four people to come along and meet the meerkats in person as well as a certificate to accompany your win.

To enter simply email your two boy name suggestions with "Name the Meerkats Competition" in the subject heading: info@pwpark.com

Please don't forget to include full contact details so that they can notify you if you have won. Let them know you found the competition details on AboutMyArea website too.

The competition closes on 30th September 2010. The winners will be notified by e-mail.

Bat Night Talk & Twilight Tour TONIGHT

Don't forget there is a Bat Night Talk and Twilight Tour this evening, Wednesday 18th August from 7.00-10.00pm at a cost of Adults £8 and Children £4.

An evening all about bats and the important part they play in the ecosystem. You will be given a twilight tour of the park for the chance to catch a glimpse of the native bats that live around the park.

There will also be a representative of the local Bat Conservation Society to help you identify your finds. Why not come along for this unusual evening and discover the fun...

To book tickets please call 01992 470490 NOW
Paradise Wildlife Park

Address: White Stubbs Lane, Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, EN10 7QA

Tel: 01992 470490

Opening Times: 9.00am-6.00pm

Cost: Adult £16, Children (2-15 years) £11, Senior Citizen £11, Family (2+2) £50, Family (1+1) £25

They also have advance ticket booking facilities on line and family season tickets offers, please call 01992 470490 or see their website for details.

Only 20 minutes drive from Waltham Abbey - why not take the children to a great day out locally this summer or any time as it is open every day of the year excluding Christmas Day.

Photograph of Narnia the tiger above given by kind permission of photographer Maggie Radcliffe.

GeneChing
04-14-2011, 09:12 AM
It's great that they are supporting this worthy cause but I find the blue faces and orange robes a harsh clash. Perhaps that's the point. At least it's eye-catching, and will hopefully inspire more Shaolin shows to commit to charitable publicity.

Shaolin Warriors fight prostate cancer ahead of show at The Orchard, Dartford (http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/freetime/latest/8974180.Shaolin_Warriors_fight_prostate_cancer_ahe ad_of_show_at_The_Orchard__Dartford/)
11:12am Thursday 14th April 2011
* By Matthew Jenkin »

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/resources/images/1625182/?type=display

KUNG-FU stars from the Shaolin Warriors show, which high kicks into The Orchard in Dartford on May 4, have painted their faces blue to raise awareness of prostate cancer.

The stunt by the 26 young men from China was in support of The Prostate Cancer Charity's Do Blue campaign, which hopes to help men reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer by making better lifestyle choices.

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in men in the UK and Every year in the UK 37,000 men are diagnosed with the disease.

The Shaolin Warriors’ breathtaking theatrical production vividly depicts the rarely-seen kung-fu masters’ feats of agility, strength and skill, using their rigorous martial arts training.

In a spectacular show featuring professionally-trained Kung Fu Masters, audiences will be amazed and thrilled by the death-defying stunts including qigong, animal imitation boxing, drunken boxing and fighting.

To book tickets, call 01322 220000 or visit orchardtheatre.co.uk

GeneChing
04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
World famous Shaolin Warriors promise spectacular show (http://www.countytimes.co.uk/lifestyle/101825/world-famous-shaolin-warriors-promise-spectacular-show.aspx)
Published date: 28 April 2011 |
Published by: Mark Lingard

THE internationally acclaimed production ‘The Shaolin Warriors’ is returning with a brand new show before embarking on a new European tour – and the Kung Fu masters are bringing their show to Shrewsbury on May 6.

This breathtaking theatrical Kung Fu Show vividly depicts the rarely-seen Kung Fu masters’ feats of agility strength and skill, using Buddhist Meditation and their rigorous martial arts training. The show is an extravaganza, with gorgeous scenery, atmospheric music, beautiful lights, and hundreds of costumes.

This is a fully choreographed spectacular that features 22 professionally trained Kung Fu Masters; audiences will be amazed and thrilled by their death defying Kung Fu disciplines such as qigong, animal imitation boxing, drunken boxing, and fighting with 18 kinds of dangerous traditional weapons.

This show is now a huge hit in over three continents, and has been seen by over 500,000 people of all ages, and played to sell out audiences and standing ovations throughout the UK this show is a must see for family audiences and martial arts experts enthusiasts alike who have been excited and astounded by The Shaolin Warriors.

Kung Fu stars from the Shaolin Warriors tour, which high kicks into Shrewsbury on May 5, are also fundraising, and have painted their faces blue to raise awareness of prostate cancer.

Shaolin Warriors and production company Theatre Productions International have joined forces with The Prostate Cancer Charity in order to fundraise and highlight the importance of prostate cancer awareness.

The stunt by the 26 young men from China was in support of The Prostate Cancer Charity’s ‘Do Blue’ campaign, which hopes to help men reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer by making better lifestyle choices. Cancer of the prostate is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in UK males, with approximately 37,000 cases diagnosed per year.

Returning to the stage with a brand new 66-date nationwide show, this breathtaking theatrical performance vividly showcases the rarely-seen Kung Fu masters’ feats of agility, strength and skill.

Featuring Buddhist meditation and rigorous martial arts training, the show is an extravaganza of scenery, atmospheric music, beautiful lights and hundreds of costumes. The tour will fundraise at the majority of its 66 dates and aims to support The Prostate Cancer Charity spread their message to audiences of all ages.

Tickets for the Shaolin Warriors tour can be purchased directly from the Theatre Severn box office on 01743 281281 or can be booked online at www.theatresevern.co.uk.

For full details of all 66 dates, including how to book tickets for the NEC’s Martial Arts Show, visit www.theatre-productions.com.

Wonder if they got invited to the Royal Wedding (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60334)? Actually I don't wonder about this... I just need a flippant comment to meet the character minimum.

GeneChing
05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
But still, hard to top the orange and Blue Monk Group...

There's a vid if you follow the link. I totally dig their orange fleece jackets.

4 May 2011 Last updated at 09:07 ET
Martial arts meditation on show (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-13282930)

A group of Chinese Kung Fu experts have spoken of the benefits of meditation during a visit to Darlington.

The Shaolin Warriors use the mental techniques, along with rigorous physical training, to perfect their fighting and acrobatic skills.

Tour manager Han Wen Qiao said many had begun training at the age of five.

He said: "There is a long tradition in China of practising Kung Fu and there is a deep love for this martial art, so people dedicate their lives to it."

He added that the link between meditation and martial arts in China began with warrior monks, around a millennium and a half ago:

"Meditation was developed to enrich your life and make your heart stronger and also it is very helpful when you practise Kung Fu.

"If you practise a lot, it will help you make more progress."

The Shaolin Warriors spoke to BBC Tees ahead of their performance at Darlington Civic Theatre on 28 April.

Speaking through an interpreter, Shaolin Warrior Chen Penfei said: "Meditation helps a lot. It can balance your insides.

"It's very important that you can find the peace in your heart, very important."

GeneChing
05-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Shaolin Warriors (http://www.kentnews.co.uk/p_12/Article/a_13903/Shaolin_Warriors)

Flying through the air, balancing on sharp spears and performing unrelenting acrobatic stunts, the Shaolin Warriors are keen to keep mysterious reputation of Kung-Fu alive and kicking.

"These guys are like demi-gods. They move so fast, when they flip, you can't even see there hands or head touch the ground. The speed and skill is ridiculous."

The Shaolin Warriors of China head to Tunbridge Wells under the guidance of Theatre Productions Director, Stephen Leatherland, who remains in ore of their skills.

He said: "They display so many disciplines. The show is highly choreographed, I would almost describe it as a Kung-fu ballet because there are moments when 16 guys are all moving in unison.

"They are all throwing themselves around and landing on one leg at the same time, its pretty breath taking.

"They are choreographed back in China by the guy that helped create the opening ceremony to Beijing Olympics, but we put a theatre production touch on it to make the story line a lot clearer for the audience.

"Creating magic is the name of the game."

The group of 22-warriors are all martial arts experts despite some of the performers being as young as 10-years-old.

They are also specialists with an amazing 18 different weapons which are also used in the show.

Leatherland, himself an actor in the West-End, said: "They cover all the disciplines they would learn at the Shaolin Temple.

"They deal with a number of different traditional weapons like swords and spears and even things that I don't even know what they are, but it still look very dangerous to me."

Each of the warriors has been specially chosen by the Shaolin group with most of them having won either a regional or national competition in their native China.

Leatherland added: "That is essentially how they came to light in the performance sense. They are the cream of the Kung-fu world.

"The main guy is called Cheng Penfei. He his like a human Catherine wheel. The human eye struggles to catch up with his movements It is unbelievable."

The group has been performing since 2000 and received international acclaim following regular tours around the world.

This is the second time the warriors have come to England for a mammoth 66-date tour before heading off to Europe, America and finally Australia.

However, most of the warriors grew up in poor rural families in the Henan and Shandong Provinces, known as the heartland of Chinese martial arts.

Their lives read like a traditional strength throughout adversity story, encouraged by their parents from the age of four to train hard and lift themselves far from their humble beginnings.

Leatherland, who started Theatre Productions 17 years ago, said: "I have employed many celebrities and obviously I treat them with great respect, but these guys are untouchable and they are great people too because of their Shaolin humility.

"I see them as demi-gods."

Featuring Buddhist meditation and rigorous martial arts training, the show is an extravaganza of gorgeous scenery, beautiful lights, hundreds of costumes and an original soundtrack by a Chinese composer.

The latest show details the journey of a young warrior, from initiation to becoming a Shaolin Monk and achieving warrior status.

And as you can see within the show, the training necessary in order to become a Shaolin Warrior is most definitely not for the feint hearted.

A typical day for a youngster includes waking up at 5am in order to complete a full six hours training alongside compulsory meditation and relaxation.

While on tour the Warriors continue with both their mental and physical training as they believe mental strength to be vital to continuing their successful and injury free performances.

The director said: "There is a 45 minute warm up before every show as well as their own personal training every day.

"We actually had a journalist from a martial arts magazine come to the rehearsal and he said he was astounded just by the warm up, let alone the full production."

Popularity for Kung-fu boomed in the 70s and 80s with the films of Bruce Lee but with 600,000 people having already witnessed the Shaolin Warriors show across the world, there is no question that the intrigue remains.

The intense and often unbelievable stunts are highlighted by the might boggling feats of endurance.

When asked which is the big move that wows the most audiences? Leatherland said: "Personally, I'd suggest the 'five spears thrusting the body move'.

"It is a stunt where a warrior is supported in the air with spears. Others include lying on blades, the nail bed, as well as breaking iron bars using the forehead alone, to name just a few."

Despite these feats, the warriors offer a family orientated show aimed at all ages.

Mr Leatherland added: "In particular there's a teaching sequence with children from the audience who experience being taught Kung-Fu live on stage!

But when asked if he would be donning the traditional orange robes to take part as an understudy warrior Leatherland answered: "I have had to step in at the last moment many times, but I don't think I will with this production.

"I value my life too much!"

The Shaolin Warriors visit the Assembly Halls Theatre in Tunbridge Wells on Tuesday, June 7.

Tickets cost £22.50 each or a family ticket of four costs £62. Visit the website at www.assemblyhalltheatre.co.uk or phone 01892 530613.

By Joe Bill"This is the second time the warriors have come to England for a mammoth 66-date tour before heading off to Europe, America and finally Australia." :cool:

GeneChing
06-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Friday 24 June 2011
Shaolin Warriors at the Grand Theatre, Blackpool. (http://www.fleetwoodtoday.co.uk/lifestyle/leisure-time/entertainment-news/temple_warriors_to_stage_a_grand_show_1_3514305)
Published on Friday 24 June 2011 07:47

http://www.fleetwoodtoday.co.uk/polopoly_fs/shaolin_warriors_1_3514304!image/2991600394.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_595/2991600394.jpg
EVERYBODY is Kung-Fu fighting for a ticket to the breathtaking new show from the Shaolin Warriors – Legendary Masters of Kung-Fu at Blackpool’s Grand Theatre on Sunday.

The Shaolin Warriors are performers of Shaolin-style martial arts – a major genre within the Kung-Fu and Chinese martial arts world.

The thrilling theatrical performance direct from China vividly showcases the rarely seen Kung-Fu masters’ feats of agility, strength and skill.

Featuring Buddhist meditation and rigorous martial arts training, the brand new production is an extravaganza of gorgeous scenery, atmospheric music, beautiful lights and hundreds of costumes, featuring 22 professionally-trained Kung-Fu masters.

Director Stephen Leatherland says of the 2011 show: “Shaolin Warriors is most definitely a family show.

In particular there’s a teaching sequence with children from the audience who experience being taught Kung-Fu live on stage!

“And this year we’ve also looked to recreate the production especially for the UK audience – making it more interactive, more attractive and ultimately, more exciting.”

Sunday’s show starts at 7.30pm, with ticket prices starting at £15.50 and more details are available from the box office on (01253) 290190.

ohhh, a teaching sequence with children from the audience who experience being taught Kung-Fu live on stage...:rolleyes:

Kung-fu stars high-kick to the Assembly Rooms (http://www.eastwoodadvertiser.co.uk/lifestyle/kung_fu_stars_high_kick_to_the_assembly_rooms_1_34 82462)
Published on Friday 24 June 2011 00:00

Kung-Fu stars from the Shaolin Warriors tour, which high kicks into the Assembly Roms, Derby, on Saturday, June 25, have painted their faces blue to raise awareness of prostate cancer.

Shaolin Warriors and production company Theatre Productions International have joined forces with The Prostate Cancer Charity in order to fundraise and highlight the importance of prostate cancer awareness.

The stunt by the 26 young men from China was in support of The Prostate Cancer Charity’s Do Blue campaign, which hopes to help men reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer by making better lifestyle choices.

Returning to the stage with a brand new 66-date nationwide show, this breathtaking theatrical performance vividly showcases the rarely-seen Kung Fu masters’ feats of agility, strength and skill. Tickets can be purchased from the theatre box office on 01332 255800.

GeneChing
08-16-2011, 09:23 AM
If you're a South Australian resident, follow the link and enter.

Win tickets to a Kung Fu extravaganza (http://hills-and-valley-messenger.whereilive.com.au/competitions/story/add-title/)
16 Aug 11 @ 05:30pm by Zoe Doherty-Dawson

Direct from China, the legendary Shaolin Warriors will return punching, kicking and tumbling in a spectacular, dynamic new production.

This breathtaking extravaganza starring 22 Kung Ku Masters follows the journey from a young child’s initiation into the monastery, to achieving fully fledged warrior status.

The original Kung Fu spectacular Shaolin Warriors has had audiences around the world gasping in disbelief at the awe-inspiring demonstrations of hypnotic and death-defying feats. From the unmatched ensemble synchronisation to the proficiency in the disciplined use of 18 traditional weapons, audiences will be amazed.

Enter for your chance to win tickets to the Friday, September 9, show at the Adelaide Festival Centre.

The promotion is open to South Australian residents. Be sure to leave a daytime phone number and address.

Entries open at 530pm on Tuesday, August 16, and close at 9am on Tuesday, August 30.

Winners will be contacted and their names will be published online by Thursday, September 1.

Winners will be given 5 days from the date of notification to collect or arrange the receipt of their prizes.

One entry per person please. Prizes are not transferable.

The trader is Messenger Community News Pty Ltd, PO Box 339, Adelaide 5001.

GeneChing
09-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Shaolin Warriors - Albury (http://www.easternriverinachronicle.com.au/eventdetails/shaolin-warriors-albury/54807.aspx)
When: 29 Sep 11
9am to 5pm
Monday to Friday
45 minutes before the beginning of the show
Where: Albury Entertainment Centre, Swift Street, Albury
New South Wales
AUSTRALIA
Phone (02) 6043 5610
Email entertainment@alburycity.nsw.gov.au
Website http://www.alburycity.nsw.gov.au/entertainment
Description:
Direct from China, the Shaolin Warriors return to the Australian stage showcasing the remarkable skill, stunning movement, and spectacular imagery of kung fu in a dynamic new production touring nationally throughout Australia from September 2011.

Featuring rarely seen Buddhist meditation alongside deadly martial-arts prowess, this breathtaking extravaganza starring 22 kung fu masters follows the journey from a young child's initiation into the monastery, to achieving fully fledged warrior status through diligent training and study. In addition to the incredible kung fu feats, the show also reflects the profoundness of Chinese Buddhism, the "Unity of Zen and Martial Arts".

The original kung fu spectacular, Shaolin Warriors has had audiences around the world gasping in disbelief at the awe inspiring demonstrations of hypnotic and death-defying feats. From the unmatched ensemble synchronization to the proficiency in the disciplined use of 18 traditional weapons, audiences will be amazed beyond the boundaries of their own belief.

Supported by stunning scenery, atmospheric music, spectacular lighting and costumes, this Shaolin Warriors spectacular is a "must-see" for family audiences and martial arts experts alike.

"Agility, grace and showmanship." The Washington Post

"...(for) anyone seeking rip-roaring entertainment with a dab of spiritual enlightenment" The West Australian

"he whole show leaves you amazed and breathless." Nottingham Post

"left the spellbound audience on their feet clapping and shouting for more." Combat Magazine, UK a dab of spiritual enlightenment...:rolleyes:

GeneChing
10-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Naming the performers is refreshing.

Spectacular Shaolin finale (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/10/11/265671_entertainment.html)
DAMIEN McCARTNEY | October 11th, 2011

http://www.ntnews.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2011/10/10/SHAOLIN-MONKS.jpg
Lu Zichao (left), Deng Youfeng and Wang Runchao will form part of the Shaolin Warriors who are performing in Darwin. Picture: BRAD FLEET

SWORDS, whips, knives, spears and axes are among 18 traditional Chinese weapons that are part of the Shaolin Warriors performance.

The kung fu kings will take to the Playhouse stage tonight in their last Australian show - and they are leaving nothing behind, promising a top show.

The former monks have been performing together for five years. Punters can expect to see cabbages chopped clean in half with massive cleavers, and a chest-pounding drum session.

The group's interpreter Han Wenqiao said it would be Kung Fu at its best.

"It's got awesome dancing, beautiful choreography, awesome costumes, and weapons demonstration," he said. "What else do you need?"

This is the group's last show of the tour, after performing in the US, UK, Ireland, Switzerland, New Zealand and Canada.

Tonight's farewell performance concludes the group's fourth trip to Australia, with each being successful.

The Shaolin Warriors, 7.30 Tuesday night, tickets at box office.

Theatre Review: Shaolin Warriors (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/entertainment/10434850/theatre-review-shaolin-warriors/)
DAVID ZAMPATTI, The West Australian October 10, 2011, 9:59 am

http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/111010/a_190911todshaolin1_1794mon-1794mrr.jpg
Shaolin Warriors
Burswood Theatre

By a happy coincidence, there were two teams of 22 gladiators on display at the Burswood Entertainment Complex last Friday night. In the grand ballroom the West Coast Eagles were being adored by their fans at their club champion dinner, while in the theatre next door an equally enthusiastic crowd cheered on warriors of the Shaolin martial arts variety.

Wouldn't that make for an interesting fantasy contest? Could Nic Naitanui match the Shaolins' athletic aerials? Are Daniel Kerr's hands faster than a kung fu swordmaster? And - with the greatest of respect --is Beau Waters really such a hard man after all?

Certainly, after two hours of extraordinary leaps, blink-of-an-eye weaponry and nerve-jangling physical peril from the Shaolin Warriors, you might have cause to wonder.

Unlike the mere quarter-century-old football club, of course, there's been a monastery at Shaolin since the fifth century and records of the monks in combat date from the seventh century. By the 16th century, kung fu was an integral and famous part of Shaolin monastic life, exported throughout China and into Japan, Korea and Okinawa.

"Brand" is an appropriate word here, because Shaolin kung fu has become a secular phenomenon up there with the Cirque du Soleil franchise, the Blue Men and the various Celtic hoofers and Dutch fiddlers of present renown. These performers, most from poor rural communities in Shandong and Henan provinces, may not be monks, but they are brought up and live like them, spending long days from very early ages training and mastering their art. Indeed, this production's story of a boy's journey from initiation to full warrior status features two lads who couldn't be more than 11 or 12 but could only have achieved their staggering strength and supple skill after many years of training.

Along the way we see a generous range of Shaolin signature routines, from stunts with nails and razor-sharp swords to the smashing of metal bars and stout wooden staffs on heads and arms, mind-boggling physical contortions and marvellous leaps and bounds. There's also some charming by-play, especially when the performers herded a bunch of wide-eyed kids (including a youngster of my tribe) on to the stage to take them through some hilariously cute routines.

It's not perfect. There's a jarring fusion of mediocre Occidental and Oriental incidental music not far enough behind the action, which is sometimes surprisingly poorly staged, given the quality of the performances, but it looks beautiful, it's hugely entertaining and, even if the philosophical underpinning of the arts on display is only fleetingly and shallowly touched on, the warriors have an authenticity that disarms and delights.
And Beau, I'd be thinking long and hard before I took these hard men on!

Jordanstevens
10-16-2011, 05:19 AM
For those of you in the new england area the Shaolin Warriors will be performing at the orpheum theatre in Boston Nov 4, Start time is 8:00 P.M. tickets are available thru ticket master.

do you know where to learn Qi Gong in the United States?

XiaoHong
10-21-2011, 03:02 PM
most shaolin shows suck, I wish it didnt, but the true routines will fade away.

The true Shaolin Kung Fu will be gone in a few years.

Bye Bye Yin Shou Gun, Xiao Hong Quan, Qi Mei Gun, Ferocious Staff, Tai Zu Chan Quan, Tai Chi Quan, Mei Hua Quan, and the rest.

All the bood and tears for getting these routines will be gone becose of the Ego.

Peace XiaoHong

GeneChing
08-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Just because it's a slow news day, Shaolin-wise...;)

Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts Presents THE SHAOLIN WARRIORS, 11/25 (http://broadwayworld.com/article/Brooklyn-Center-for-the-Performing-Arts-Presents-THE-SHAOLIN-WARRIORS-1125-20120823)
Thursday, August 23, 2012; 10:08 AM - by BWW News Desk

Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts at Brooklyn College continues its 2012-2013 season with a performance by the The Shaolin Warriors on Sunday, November 25, 2012 at 3pm. Tickets are $30 for adults and $15 for children (ages 12 and under) and can be purchased by phone at 718-951-4500 (Tues-Sat, 1pm-6pm), or online at www.BrooklynCenterOnline.org.

In 525 AD, a Buddhist monk named Bodhi-dharma founded the Shaolin Monastery in what would later become the Henan Province of China. This elite group of monks soon became world-renowned for their unique combination of disciplined spiritualism and deadly martial arts prowess. Practitioners of the Shaolin philosophy seek to live a balanced life, with a strong and flexible mind housed in a strong and flexible body. Combining elements from Buddhism and Taoism, Shaolin Kung Fu originated from exercises that were developed 1,500 years ago to train monks to withstand long hours of sitting meditation. It has since evolved into a fluid martial art that is fast, evasive, strong, and efficient while being non-confrontational, focusing not on aggression but self-defense.

In this fully choreographed theatrical production, the Kung Fu Masters of The Shaolin Warriors present a portrayal of a typical day in their lives, including the serenity of morning meditation and chants, daily exercises that strengthen both the body and mind, and dazzling synchronized fighting rituals that employ an array of traditional Shaolin weaponry. These highly skilled monks train from a very young age in mental and physical disciplines, allowing them to perform feats one thought only possible in the movies. The production features many forms of Shaolin Kung Fu as well as a look at the daily life . . . of the warriors and their Zen philosophy.

About Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts at Brooklyn College
Founded in 1954, Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts at Brooklyn College presents outstanding performing arts and arts education programs at affordable prices, embracing the diverse communities that define Brooklyn. Brooklyn Center welcomes over 65,000 people to the 2,400 seat Walt Whitman Theatre each season and boasts one of the largest arts education programs in the borough, serving 46,000 schoolchildren from over 300 schools annually with its SchoolTime series. www.BrooklynCenterOnline.org.

Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts at Brooklyn College's presentation of The Shaolin Warriors is made possible, in part, by the Macy's Foundation and by King's Plaza Shopping Center.

The Shaolin Warriors
Sunday, November 25, 2012 at 3pm
Tickets: $30 adults, $15 children 12 and under

Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts
Walt Whitman Theatre at Brooklyn College
2 train to Brooklyn College/Flatbush Avenue

Online orders: www.BrooklynCenterOnline.org
Box Office: (718) 951-4500, Tuesday - Saturday, 1pm - 6pm
Groups of 15 or more: (718) 951-4600 x3326

GeneChing
09-26-2012, 09:23 AM
I posted info on the Marin, CA show here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37527&page=9) yesterday.

Shaolin Warriors show off master skills for elderly residents (http://www.khon2.com/news/local/story/Shaolin-Warriors-show-off-master-skills-for/vtkSjCzcnE25oL4177wlPg.cspx)
http://www.khon2.com/media/lib/128/0/0/6/006d05e9-32b9-432c-b8d0-eb47a5566506/Story.jpg
The Shaolin Warriors have arrived in Honolulu. They made a stop at the Palolo Chinese Home Tuesday to perform for the seniors. They performed feats of martial arts and acrobatics for the residents.

The 22 Buddhist monks are from a Shaolin temple in China's Henan province and are kicking off a 44-city tour in the United States.

Their weapons and robes will also be unloaded at Hawaii Theatre. Their first show is Wednesday, September 26 at 7:30 p.m. at Hawaii Theatre.

All tickets are just $35, and $5 from each ticket goes directly to Palolo Chinese Home.

Shaolin Warriors will perform in Hawaii through Sunday, September 30, 2012.

GeneChing
09-27-2012, 09:13 AM
This new show is titled "Voices of the Masters". I'm searching for a website that is specific to the tour, not the individual 44 theaters.

Shaolin Warriors to show their unique style of Kung Fu in Chico (http://www.chicoer.com/fromthenewspaper/ci_21640660/shaolin-warriors-show-their-unique-style-kung-fu)
By LINDSAY HOLBROOK - Correspondent
Posted: 09/26/2012 09:57:40 PM PDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site135/2012/0926/20120926__02_entertainment_27~1_GALLERY.jpg
Han Wengiao, representative for the Shaolin Warriors (not pictured), said the Warriors are young...
CHICO —Martial arts. Many people encompass it into one bulk style that involves punches, kicks and getting different colored belts. That could not be further from the truth. Just as there are many different languages in the world, so too are there different forms of martial arts. The Shaolin Warriors will be showing their form of Kung Fu when they arrive here in Chico on Oct. 10.

These Warriors are experienced in many different arts. As athletic as they are on their feet, these artists are just as graceful in their performance. It is this grace that shows the audience just how closely connected these Warriors are with the spiritual side of their art.

While the physical aspects of any performance are quite a wonder to behold, the spiritual side is seen clearly in both what they do and how they do it. It is the Zen philosophy that keeps the Shaolin style to be more than just physical moves. Zen and Kung Fu goes back thousands of years. Whether it is just to work on the mental and physical health of the person, the Kung Fu can be and often is more than a routine and ends up being a way of life even when not training.

Azad's Martial Arts Academy has been a sponsor for these young men who come into town.

One of the instructors there, Peter Reitz has said that these Warriors show "a great example of what a human being is capable of with a lifetime of training."

While many consider "training" in the literal terms, Peter said anyone could take
it to your life.

The group has been performing for the past 12 years. The dedication is sure to shine through.

The representative for the Shaolin Warriors, Han Wengiao was not only a pleasure to speak with but also opened my eyes to just what this team is capable of doing. There was one thing he said that could sum up his time spent with these Warriors: "Shaolin Warriors are a group of young boys. Full of passion, each of them is the master of certain kung fu feat with which they are devoted to cheering up the audiences in every corner of the world and spreading the positive energy to them. Their kung fu feats are rare-to-see and very authentic traditional Chinese style which is at the verge of extinction as fewer and fewer young generation practice because the impact of pop culture and trendy stuff.

"With a spirit of Zen philosophy, their performances are also conveying a message of inner peace to help people find the true self and pursuit of ultimate value from the tumultuous world we are living in. And more will be found out from the show by different people."

Whether you are 8-years-old or in your 80s, you are sure to enjoy the performance. The combination of theatrics, physical feats and spiritual moments shining through is sure to wow anyone in the audience.

Chico Performances presents the Shaolin Warriors at Chico State University's Laxson Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $32 premium, $27 adults, $25 seniors and $19 for students and children.

GeneChing
10-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Found an 'official' site with tour dates. See Columbia Artists Management, Inc. (http://www.cami.com/?webid=1864) There's a vid, but the schedule is too bothersome to cut&paste here (would have to re-add all the months :rolleyes: )

Photo Flash: First Look at Kung Fu Masters, Shaolin Warriors, Coming to Houston, 10/27 (http://houston.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Flash-First-Look-at-Kung-Fu-Masters-Shaolin-Warriors-Coming-to-Houston-1027-20120928#sthash.CgZxJ0Yf.dpbs)
Friday, September 28, 2012; 02:09 PM - by BWW News Desk

The kung fu masters known as the Shaolin Warriors are returning to Houston for two performances on Saturday, Oct. 27, at 3 and 7:30 p.m. in Wortham Center’s Cullen Theater, presented by Society for the Performing Arts. BroadwayWorld has a first look below.

Geared for the entire family, their latest theatrical production, titled Voices of the Masters, showcases the remarkable skill and stunning movement that is a trademark of the Shaolin Warriors. Performed by the Buddhist monks of the Shaolin Temple, a sect that has become known throughout the world for its disciplined spiritualism and deadly martial-arts prowess, the production features many forms of Shaolin kung fu, as well as a look at the daily temple life of the monks and their Zen Buddhist philosophy. Having trained from a very young age in mental and physical disciplines, these kung fu masters perform feats one thought only possible in the movies.

For nearly 1500 years, the Shaolin Temple has been the heart and soul of Chinese kung fu. The Shaolin Monks were men of action ready to defend, yet men of peace ready to console. The monks train in martial arts for several hours every day, perfecting the art of hand-to-hand and weapons combat. Each monk is required to achieve an extraordinarily high level of proficiency in each of the Temple’s 18 traditional weapons and to become a master of one.

However, it is the daily practice of seated meditation, which enables the individual performer to sustain a demanding physical regimen. Through a practice known as Ch’an (Chinese for Zen), they calm the body and focus the mind to a single collected point in order to attain a mental state known as Samadhi, or complete mental absorption. It is in this quiet, yet highly focused state of mind, that they are able to sustain extreme physical discomfort and pain and undergo the intense daily training required to achieve and maintain the level of adeptness for which they are so highly praised.

Tickets for the Shaolin Warriors range from $35-$70 and can be purchased online at www.spahouston.org, by phone at 713-227-4772 or at the courtyard level ticket office at Jones Hall located at 615 Louisiana St. Hours of operation: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday. For groups of 15 or more call 713-632-8113.

Founded in 1966, Society for the Performing Arts (SPA) is the largest independent non-profit presenting organization in the Southwest. Since its inception, SPA has sponsored more than 1,000 performances of the world’s finest music, dance and theater events, in adherence to the belief that the arts are fundamental to the overall enrichment and quality of life within the community. In addition to presenting artists, SPA seeks to provide a variety of learning experiences for adults and children through master classes, lectures and special student performances, as well as build relationships between the performing arts and other interests within the greater Houston area and throughout the state of Texas.

Photos: Courtesy of Columbia Artists Management, Inc.
http://images.bwwstatic.com/upload10/409893/tn-500_posing-warriors.jpg
http://images.bwwstatic.com/upload10/409893/tn-500_shaolinwarriors2.jpg

David Jamieson
10-11-2012, 06:40 AM
So, this is coming through town.

Shaolin Warriors: Kung Fu Masters of China.

Anyone know where these cats are coming from? Which school?
By now, I've come to realize that these shows are virtually never actual Shaolin monks from the monastery.

I am merely curious as to the connection of this group.

David Jamieson
10-11-2012, 07:47 AM
anyone? da info?

Songshan
10-12-2012, 06:23 AM
David, I would guess they are a touring troop put together from the Deng Feng schools. The description in website says they are disciples of the shaolin schools. I noticed the term "Shaolin Temple" was carefully avoided and not connected.

I think a while back Gene Ching posted an article about a Shaolin touring group that was vocally outcasted by the Shaolin Temple so I don't think they are an official representation of the temple....but I could be wrong.

Either way, the guys that come from the Shaolin schools totally earn my respect. They are amazing athletes and performing is a means of survival for them. Thanks Gene for the find. I will make sure I see the show.

Songshan
10-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Found an 'official' site with tour dates. See Columbia Artists Management, Inc. (http://www.cami.com/?webid=1864) There's a vid, but the schedule is too bothersome to cut&paste here (would have to re-add all the months :rolleyes: )

I saw the show in Houston on 10/27/12. For me personally these shows never get old. I had a great time and enjoyed the performance. I think this performance had the best attendance so far. It did way better than the last touring group that came through several years ago. There were no chances to meet the cast/group but their skills were great. Surprisingly all the shaolin warrior performers names were listed in the program book including the producers.

As a honest reviewer, noticeably different were the background paintings used in the performance. The background painting of the Shaolin Temple was different in the sense the symbols painted over the door of the temple didn't show the traditional "Shaolin Temple" It had different symbols (2 to be exact) but I couldn't tell you what they read because I can't read Chinese :confused: The choreography was very good and different but if you ever seen a shaolin performance before the old adage of "if you seen one, you seen them all." applies here. The lack of any narration made it difficult to explain to the audience what exactly they were seeing. Maybe that was done on purpose to keep it as a theatrical performance. Either way check them out if they come through your town. You won't be disappointed. :D

GeneChing
11-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm glad to see that the performers are defined here as 'secular disciples' and 'martial monks'. That's significant progress as performance tours seldom make this distinction. It's so much easier to just say 'Shaolin monks'.

Young life: Mind over matter at Mason (http://news.fredericksburg.com/weekender/2012/11/07/young-life-mind-over-matter-at-mason/)
Nice moves: Meet the Shaolin Warriors.
BY COLLETTE CAPRARA
FOR THE FREE LANCE–STAR

This weekend, area families will have a rare opportunity to view the daily life of those who train within a Chinese Shaolin temple and to witness the results of years of rigorous discipline.

In “Voices of the Masters,” 22 Shaolin warriors will exhibit awe-inspiring feats of the mental, spiritual and physical control that is accomplished at the highest levels of mastery of the kung fu martial art. Performances will be held at the Hylton Performing Arts Center in Manassas and George Mason University’s Center for the Arts in Fairfax.

The Shaolin technique began 1,500 years ago in the Hunan Province. Some of the performers in this stunning presentation are “secular disciples” of the discipline, while others have earned the rank of martial monks. That title connotes devotion to the Buddhist doctrine as well and is conferred only by a master and involves even more intensive training and challenges.

As the action begins, the audience is introduced to two 12-year-old boys who, in the narrative, are just beginning their journeys to become qualified Shaolin warriors. Viewers will then witness the challenging tests the boys will meet and pass at each stage of their development.

In reality, the two young protagonists have been training in the martial art for half their lives, learning techniques that range from turning an opponent’s force against himself, to deft, graceful and lightning-quick moves of evasion and defense, to astounding acts of pain-enduring mind over matter.

During three points in the production, children will be invited to join the warriors onstage to try their hand with a kung fu movement. Each performance will be preceded by a pre-performance discussion, free to ticket holders.

What: Shaolin warriors present “Voices of the Masters”
When: Friday, Nov. 9, at 8 p.m.; Saturday, Nov. 10, at 8 p.m.; Sunday, Nov. 11, at 4 p.m.
Where: Friday, Hylton Performing Arts Center, 10960 George Mason Circle, Manassas. Saturday and Sunday, George Mason University’s Center for the Arts, Fairfax
Cost: Hylton Center: $32–$48; youths through grade 12 admitted half-price when accompanied by an adult. Center for the Arts: $24–$48; youths through grade 12 admitted half-price when accompanied by an adult.
Tickets and info: 888/945-2468; cfa.gmu.edu; hyltoncenter.org

Collette Caprara is a local writer and artist.

ShaolinDiva
11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Actual Shaolin warrior monks are used only when the shows are approved and endorsed by the Abbot of the Songshan Shaolin Temple, China. That also includes the trademarked names of "Shaolin Temple" and other related image copyrights and other related products, and terms . Basically , China has trademark rights in the USA protected by laws of trademark infringement .

They do get "policed" in USA for unauthorized uses of copyrighted material which is a requirement of the trademark.

GeneChing
11-13-2012, 10:05 AM
...But in actuality, what defines an 'actual Shaolin monk' is impermanent. When the Abbot first assumed power, he recruited many biaoyenseng, had them baisee under him, and sent them on 'official' tours. Many of them have left the order, to be replaced by the next gen of more 'official' monks, and some of those have left too. But that's a different Pandora's box then what I was implying above. A reporter will usually just refer to the performers as monks out of simplicity, even when the tour promoters are clearly making at least a token effort to distinguish themselves.

Here's a case and point:

Mantis style, Brooklyn style (http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2012/45/24_shaolinbrooklyn_2012_11_09_bk.html)
By Colin Mixson

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/assets/photos/2012/45/24_shaolinbrooklyn_2012_11_09_bk01_z.jpg
Photo courtesy of Brooklyn College
Bonified Shaolin badass: These Kung fu monks are coming to Brooklyn College straight from the legendary Shaolin Temple.

Your kung fu is strong — now taste my Tiger Style!

Bona fide Buddhists hailing from the legendary Shaolin Temple are flying to Brooklyn College on Nov. 28, to shower audiences with displays of their furious kung fu.

“They are masters of kung fu,” said Shaolin Warrior interpreter Han Wanqiao. “They crush metal bars on their foreheads, they smash stone slabs on their belly, they lie on beds of nails, they thrust a spear on their throat, and bend the spears into a curve.”

Aside from absorbing blows that would maim or kill lesser men, the Shaolin masters will exhibit their fighting prowess, displaying styles ranging from the famous crane mimic to more esoteric forms of battle.

“They will demonstrate Chi kung, an inner strength exercise, allowing you to control your strength and make deadly movements,” Wanqiao said. “Also, they mimic animals; eagles, tigers, scorpions.”

The martial masters may be far from their home in the Pagoda Forest, but the monks do not allow their travels to infringe on their rigorous training — you can take the monk of the Shaolin Temple, but you cannot take the Shaolin Temple out of the monk.

“They are no longer in the Shaolin Temple, but they still have their tradition. They do meditation everyday. They practice martial arts intensively, and during the tour they don’t have much time, so they take 30 minutes before the show to warm up, leaping, jumping, stretching,” said Wanqiao.

As powerful as they are in battle, the Shaolin monks are not — despite popular misconceptions — invincible, according to Wanqiao.

“They can be killed by conventional weapons, they are not immortal,” he said. “They get the flu sometimes, like ordinary people.”

Shaolin Warriors at Brooklyn College [2900 Bedford Ave. between Gleenwood Road and Avenue I, (718) 951–5000, www.brooklyncenteronline.org]. Nov. 25, 3 pm. $30

GeneChing
11-16-2012, 10:19 AM
"If I've told them once, I've told them a thousand times, put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last... We've got a big dressing room!" :p

Go & Do: PizzaFest, holiday arts tour, and The Shaolin Warriors (http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20121116-LIFE-211160301)
November 16, 2012 2:00 AM

Pizza fest tonight

Children's Museum of New Hampshire's fourth annual PizzaFest and Holiday Auction from 5 to 8 p.m., Friday, Nov. 16, at the Children's Museum of New Hampshire, 6 Washington St., Dover. All proceeds benefit the museum's innovative education and outreach programs. PizzaFest attendees will be able to sample different varieties of pizza from local purveyors, then vote for their favorites. Seacoast area restaurants will be serving up both cheese and specialty pizzas for guests to sample and judge in the categories of Kids' Choice Cheese and Grown-Ups' Choice. A judging panel will crown the Judges' Pick for Best Pizza, Best Crust and Most Creative Toppings. The cost of the Children's Museum PizzaFest and Holiday Auction is $10 for adults, $7 for children age 10 and under, and children age two and under are free. Advance reservations are required as space is limited. Reservations can be made online at www.childrens-museum.org or by calling the museum at 742-2002 during regular weekday business hours.

Visit local studios

A holiday arts tour will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 17; and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 18. Eleven artists welcome the public into their art studios on the weekend before Thanksgiving for socializing and holiday shopping. This is the original arts tour of the seacoast, and it remains a free tour — no entrance fee or tickets to punch. Follow the self-guided tour along a three-mile loop in town and stop to see what's new. Artists at each studio will feature their new work along with the designs they've become known for. Work is for sale, and many studios will have ongoing demonstrations throughout the weekend. Tour maps can be downloaded from the Web site at www.portsmouthartstour.com. Signs marking each studio with numbers and balloons will be posted to help navigate the driving loop.

Warriors return

The Shaolin Warriors return to The Music Hall, 28 Chestnut St., Portsmouth, at 3 and 7:30 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 18. Called "Voices of the Masters," the production follows the journey of a young warrior apprentice as he is guided by the older monks through his lessons, from seemingly impossible acrobatic positions to shadow-sparring and from martial arts to feats of weaponry. Tickets are $42 and $38 and are on sale now at the box office in the theater, 28 Chestnut St., Portsmouth, over the phone at 436-2400, or on the Web site www.themusichall.org.

GeneChing
03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
I was tempted to post this in the S@tC thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56809) because it's Cirque Du Ciel, but this thread is really more appropo.

Death-defying acts from martial arts masters the Shaolin Warriors (http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Death-defying-acts-martial-arts-masters-Shaolin/story-18401703-detail/story.html#axzz2OZcvUkXH)
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Grimsby Telegraph

AUDIENCES are sure to get a kick out of a new theatrical extravaganza, which is coming to Grimsby direct from China.

The internationally-acclaimed Shaolin Warriors are coming to Grimsby Auditorium with their Return Of The Master show, before embarking on a world tour.

Shaolin Warriors are coming to the Grimsby Auditorium on Saturday, June 29, at 7.30pm. Tickets cost £16 to £24. To book tickets, call the box office on 0844 871 3016 or visit www.atgtickets.com/grimsby or visit the venue.

The production comes to you from the producers of the hugely popular ShangHi-Cirque du Ciel.

This breathtaking performance continues the story of the warrior, and vividly depicts the rarely-seen Kung Fu masters’ feats of agility strength and skill, using Buddhist meditation and their rigorous martial arts training.

The fully choreographed production – which features 22 professionally trained Kung Fu masters – has gorgeous scenery, atmospheric music, beautiful lights, and hundreds of costumes.

Audiences will be amazed and thrilled by their death-defying Kung Fu disciplines such as qigong, animal imitation boxing, drunken boxing, and fighting with over 20 kinds of dangerous traditional weapons.

This show is a huge hit over three continents, having now been seen by over 750,000 people of all ages and is expected to sell out venues across the UK.

Edinburgh Evening News said the show was “Jaw dropping! A perfect family show and something for everyone,” while The Jersey Evening News said it was a “Breathtaking show!”.

And, whatever the accolades, it is a must see for family audiences and martial arts experts enthusiasts alike.

Shaolin Warriors are coming to the Grimsby Auditorium on Saturday, June 29, at 7.30pm. Tickets cost £16 to £24. To book tickets, call the box office on 0844 871 3016 or visit www.atgtickets.com/grimsby or visit the venue.

GeneChing
05-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Slow Motion Shaolin Warriors - Slow Mo #12 - Earth Unplugged (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLlO3iIFTzg#!)

GeneChing
07-05-2013, 09:54 AM
The Shaolin newsfeed is always full with reviews of the various Shaolin shows on tour around the world. Most of them I disregard as they are redundant to previous reviews, but this one was...special. ;)
[QUOTE]Booking the Cooks: The Shaolin Warriors’ Gong Bao chicken (http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/booking-the-cooks-the-shaolin-warriors-gong-bao-chicken-1.1452707)
The Shaolin Warriors are handy in the kitchen too. Who knew? They show Osin Davis some knife work
Oisin Davis
Fri, Jul 5, 2013, 00:00

http://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.1452702.1372934896!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_600/image.jpg

There will come a moment in every young boy’s life when he will want to chop a cement block with his forehead. It won’t be a dream-inspired vision or a prophecy that will bring this on, but the sight of a Kung Fu master working his magic as he enters a deep concentration and employs the highest level of inner energy control to make mincemeat of common building materials. Back when I were a wee lad, I could have only seen this kind of discipline in a martial arts film. Today it can be witnessed live on stage as The Shaolin Warriors are in the Olympia for the next three nights with their new show Return of the Master.

Considering that they are practitioners of Qi Kung and Zen Buddhist meditation who have been under a strict training regime since the age of five, the Warriors are surprisingly good humoured. When I asked them how much training was needed before one could administer the aforementioned brick routine, I was told: “Well, we really don’t recommend that anyone try it on his or her own without proper guidance. Maybe it is not a bad idea to try it on your boss’s head, but the Warriors will not take any responsibility for that.”

And when I asked whether there was any truth to the rumours that the drunken boxing style originated in Ireland, the response was: “Different drunkards have different styles with the various liquors available. The Warriors are very much interested in an Irish style, if there is any.” I have no doubt that we could find one.

The Shaolin Warriors are all from Northern China where this spicy dish is everywhere. When they’re on the road, this is the kind of grub they seek to stay fuelled.

The Shaolin Warriors are in the Olympia theatre until Sunday night

INGREDIENTS
500g chicken thighs – remove skin and bones and cut into bite size chunks
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and very thinly sliced
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and very thinly sliced
2 tsp Szechuan peppercorns
1 tbsp corn flour
4 tbsp soy sauce
40g unsalted peanuts
2 tbsp of peanut oil
4 dried red chilies, roughly chopped or crushed.
4 scallions, thinly sliced

METHOD
Combine the chicken, half of the soy sauce and corn flour, in a small bowl. Mix well and marinate for at least an hour. Heat a dry pan over medium heat and toast peanuts until golden.
Put the oil in a skillet on a medium heat. Add peppercorns and dried chilies and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Turn the heat up high and add the chicken. When the meat is seared, add the remaining ingredients and stir-fry until chicken is cooked. Remove from heat and pour remaining soy sauce over the chicken. Serve with boiled rice or noodles./QUOTE]