PDA

View Full Version : hung gar 10 animals form

tonfas
03-02-2001, 10:45 PM
Is hung gar 10 animals form are based on dragon, tiger, loepard, snake, crane, lion, elep, horse, monkey and cat???

i am not talking about the big 5 animals form - 5 animals plus 5 elements.

peace

Tonfas@hotmail.com

Subitai
03-03-2001, 01:36 AM
I could be wrong, but i've never heard of such a Hung Kuen set. (For the mainstream HG ie)

I think that Master Tai Yim of the left handed style (Hung Fut) does a set like that. But it is not from the standard HG that most of us practice.

I do admire TY's speed and power. I saw him do a demo once. Very fast and looked powerful. I suppose if you are only using one hand (ie arm), you'd better **** well be that fast.

I sorry to change the subject on you Tonfas. I just thought that mabe someone who knows TY could elaborate more on the set that he does. I've only some reading materials and a demo on it to reference to.

Also, if anyone would like to discribe if they have ever touched hands w/ the left handed style?

Just curious,
"O"

South Paw
03-03-2001, 02:26 AM
Hung Gar only has his 5 animals. Hung Kuen, a complete different style, has 5 animals more: Elephant, Lion, Monkey, Horse and Tiger-cat.
Then there is also the Shaolin 10 animal form of Kwan Tak Hing which uses techniques of the bear instead of the Tiger-cat.

South Paw

tonfas
03-04-2001, 04:45 AM
any ways, thanks for your reply.

also, i am looking for a 5 animals-8mm film. it was made in the 70's. this forms had 2 books.

Deos any one has this film?

Tonfas@hotmail.com

South Paw
03-04-2001, 08:45 AM
These must be the 2 books written by Leung Ting on Five-Pattern Hung Kuen from master Yuen Yik Kai.

South Paw

tonfas
03-05-2001, 04:47 AM
Hi South Paw,

Thank you very much, you are correct.

they did make a 8mm film of these form.

do you known who still has it???

Thank you from tonfas again

hasayfu
03-06-2001, 02:27 AM
Hi South Paw,

You mention that There is Hung Gar and Hung Kuen. I know you know chinese and that it's formally referred to as Hung Gar Kuen (Hung's family fist) but can be shortened to Hung Gar or Hung Kuen.

That said, what Hung Kuen are you referring to with 10 animals. I don't doubt it exists since a lot of seemily different styles go by the name Hung Kuen but they usually have a lot of deeper similarities then differences. I've never seen on that had 10 animals (which doesn't say much) other then that Kwan Tak Hing stuff.

Any additional info, lineage, flavor, comparison to Canton HG, etc will be appreciated.

Subject24601
03-06-2001, 05:23 AM
I have studied under Yim Sifu for only a little over six years, and I currently work for him at his school as well. If you havent come accross the schools website, here it is www.kungfu1.com. (http://www.kungfu1.com.) The site should help you out with some of your questions and there is an email link to the school to which you can send your questions to.

"Ideas are not responsible for the people who believe in them."

tonfas
03-06-2001, 09:28 PM
Hi,

i am not quite sure the 10 animals form is from hung gar or hung kuen?

What is the difference hung gar and hung kuen?

Why call hung gar?

Why call hung kuen?

Please help

Falcor
03-06-2001, 11:10 PM
Well, the full name is Hung Gar Kuen in Cantonese, and Hong Jia Chuan in Mandarin. Some poeple call it Hung Gar, Hung Ga, Hung Kuen, or even just Hung (along with their Mandarin analogues) as shortened versions of the name. Kinda like how William has Will, Bill, Billy, Willy, etc. Now the confusing part comes in when he look at teh character Hung. In English, it sound the same, but in Chinese there are diferent characters that sound like Hung (or Hong) but either have different tones or have different meaning all together. For example, I believe that the Hung in Hung Kuen that we all know of means "Righteous" or something like that. But there is another charater that sounds Hong (or Hung) that means "red." And there is a Hong Kuen that is unrelated to Hung Hei Gwun's Hung Gar Kuen - I beileve the old school Shaolin guys have a set called "Little Red Fist" and "Big Red Fist." So you have to be careful of what you're talking about. The Hung Family Fist, Hung Gar Kuen, is the most prevalent and popular Hung style in the world today, but do understand that there are oter Hung/Hong's out there.

Now, as for the 10 animal stuff. Hung Gar Kuen has only five animals officially, the tiger, crane, leopard, snake, and dragon. And some lineages have s form called the five Animal Fist (Ng Ying Kuen (sp?)). There is also a form called the 10 "forms" fist which is actually a combination of the the five animals and five elements (wood, metal, water, fire, earth) called Sup Ying Kuen (again sp?). In English it is often mistranslated as the 10 animal fist or 10 elemnt. Now if you are refering to some other Hung style that is not of the Hung hei Gwun/Wong hei hung lineage, then that may have 10 real animals to it (like some Village style Hung Kuens or Hung derived systems like Hung Fut).

...don't think you are, know you are...

South Paw
03-07-2001, 01:31 AM
To Hasayfu:

There is a reference to 'The ten forms of the Hung Kuen', with the 10 animals I mentioned in an earlier posting, in an article in Real Kung Fu, Nr. 7, Vol. 2, by Sifu Wong Siu Fong.
"The most important techniques of the Hung Kuen System, it is assumed, are the Ten Forms(=Sahp Jing Kuen), which are named after the five elements....and five living creatures....But there is another assumption about the nomenclature of the Ten Forms. That is they are all termed after names of ten living creatures - the Dragon, the Snake, the Tiger, the Leopard, the Stork, the Lion, the Elephant, the Horse, the Monkey and the Tiger-cat."
Wong Siu Fong learned the system from Mak Hin Ting, Chan Tse, and Lui Chun Wai.

To Tonfas:

As for the Five pattern Hung Kuen from Yuen Yik Kai, there has been a correspondent course with super 8 film, including guide book. It was available at Comray Publications, a company run by Leung Ting.
This Hung Kuen originated also from the Fukien Shaolin Temple, but is different from the more common Hung Gar or Hung Kuen.

South Paw

Subitai
03-07-2001, 02:44 AM
:)

tonfas
03-07-2001, 08:46 AM
Hi South paw,

where can i purchased this courses or tapes.

I known sifu leung ting produced a lot of kung fu tapes, hard to purchased it.

Thanks