PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Origin II

T. Cunningham
03-26-2002, 10:32 PM
The second Return to the Origin pilgrimage and training tour is currently set for November 29, 2002 to December 11, 2002. We are again presented with the great opportunity to gather as brothers and sisters in Choy Lee Fut and train together in addition to receiving instruction from Grand Master Chen Yong Fa.

Detailed information can be found at www.clfma.com/ (http://www.clfma.com/) Go to the upper right hand corner of the page to find the box marked China 2002.

Last year's tour was a great success and this year's event looks to be even better.

See you there.

T Cunningham

Sho
03-27-2002, 06:20 AM
The only problem is money.

I'm glad though, that Chen sifu will be arranging a seminar this summer here in Finland.

extrajoseph
03-28-2002, 12:28 AM
Just came back from China and visited the King Mui Village Hung Sing Ancestral School Hall and Museum. They have done a wonderful renovation job of the old building and filled it with a pictorial display of CLF history and real artifacts. Also visited Chan Heung's grave which could do with a bit of upgrading. The Futshan Hung Sing School is also an interesting place. I am not so convinced with some of the displays, they have a political flavour to them.

I recommend every CLF students to visit this two historical sites if you have the opportunity. There is no better person to take you there then Sifu Chen Yong-Fa, who is the great great grandson of Chan Heung. Go for it.

GOLDEN ARMOR
03-28-2002, 02:20 AM
Hi Joseph ur very lucky to see the place where it all began, i think it's great that they have renovated the Hung Sing Ancestral Gwoon & Museum. I think they want to make a walk way from the Ancestral Gwoon to Chan Heung's grave, so they probably will upgrade when they make the walk way.

How was the CLF in the village? & how was it compared to what u have seen?

Master Chen will be teaching Qigong & CLF Gung Fu so if u can don't miss it, all CLF brothers & sisters from all branches are welcome, for more info go to the Chan Family site u can see the curriculim for the trip including the cool forms & training.

extrajoseph
03-28-2002, 03:11 AM
There was a lovely old guy with a toothy grind, his CLF was good. I was told he is in his 80s and was a student of Chan Yiu-Chi. His movements are solid and basic, no fancy stuff. He bashed the hell out of the Gwan Jong with his pole by holding it close to his body and used hip movements only. Pretty impressive for an old guy.

The kids were great, they were very light and agile, one kid did a monkey staff and that was a knock out. Their lion dance was really good, I loved the drum beats and the routines that they did - really brought the lion alive.

In general the village CLF are very similar to my lineage through Chan Yiu-Chi. I was told CYC stayed in King Mui during the Japanese occupation and taught many clansmen there and the surrounding villages. There was a difinite feeling that the authentic stuff is still around. I didn't see any wushu influence at all and that is quite unusual in China these days.

They are trying to collect money to do up Chan Heung's grave, I gave some and they took my name and said I will be included in a future memorial to be ercted, so that was nice to think my name will be immortal!

JAZA
03-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Joseph:

Just as interest in China today situation. When you say political, you refer to PRC propaganda.
And other related question, How is the situation of today chinese communism, is it really opening?.
In my country the chinese ambassadors are doing a more open work, like open contacts with the Guanzhou University for people who wants to study chinese medicine.
Like Yuen, my problem is the money, if I have it, I will be be there.
I give an idea to Sisuk Howard to take Unesco funds to the rebuilding of King Mui village like a historical place, but it wasn't good I think.

extrajoseph
03-29-2002, 11:40 PM
JAZA,

The mainland Chinese have a love/hate relationship with Kung Fu and Qigong. On one hand they want to have Wushu included in the Olympic Games but on the other hand they are very weary about Qigong where it can be used not for health but to set up an opposition to their rule like Zhong Gong and Falun Gong. There is hardly any Qigong in the park these days, only Tai Chi and dancing. They don't call dancing disco Qigong any more and the bookshop don't have any Qigong books either. But Chinese medicine is still going strong and CLF is being promoted and supported strongly in the city and state level, especially in cities like Guangzhou and Xinhui in Guangdong.

China is changing all the time, you never know what will happen just around the corner, so catch the opportunity to go to King Mui while you can, that is all I can say.

JosephX

JAZA
03-30-2002, 05:40 PM
Thank you Joseph:

Your advice is my goal in this moments.

Ego_Extrodinaire
03-31-2002, 06:15 AM
Yes i was on a tour once. Everone was very hospitable to me at first. The kids came down and carried all 350punds of me and my motorized wheel chair up the steps. i told those little rug rats to hurry up because i don't want to miss the performance but at the same time to be careful and not to drop me. The complied and I gave them each a lolly. I don't think they have lollies in main land china.

The performance was great but I told them it had nothing to do with kung fu. They refused to listen and my rage got tyhe better of me and i knocked the lion over with my wheel chair. It broke in the middle into 2 pieces. They explained they didn't understand english and was quite aplogetic that their kung fu was really wu shu and couldn't get out of my way in time.

Over the course of the 2 weeks, the kung fu enthuest on the bus grew more and more impatient with me. As i was always the last to leave the bus and the last to arrive at the departure point. Always with the most things to say and least questions to ask.

The old masters brought me down the steps as a curtosy to me for travelling so far and having seeing so little. I gave each of them 2 american dollars which is more then what they'll earn in china in a year. They'll do well as my house maids.

Had the pleasure to shave their heads so that they looked more like monks for my photos. Those silly people, they'll do anything for a few dollars.

I think this was a different tour you'd gone to.

Sho
03-31-2002, 10:23 AM
Quite weird story you got there, Ego_Extrodinaire!

Anyhow, I'm hoping to get the chance to attend to the Return to the Origin trip the following year (2003). Just have to make sure no money goes for unappropriate things.

alecM
03-31-2002, 11:13 AM
Yuen, I wouldn't take any notice of Ego he's well known as a troll. He once claimed to have learned CLF but when any one asked him his Sifu's name he came up with all the crap about not wanting to dishonour his sifu.

Sho
03-31-2002, 11:48 AM
I see, you have that displayed in your status too. ;)