PDA

View Full Version : Tell me all about it.

red_fists
03-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Hi All.

Just wondering how many of the members here actually enter or have entered fighting Competitons as such.

Any form of Full-Contact Competition is fine.

Lots of talk going on about UFC, Pride, NHB, K1 and the like.

And I want to know who has actually
fought in these or similar Competitions.

And what type of Competition it was and what your styles are.

I am not interested in Friends/Instructors/Students or similar that have entered.

So, pls, reply to ease this inquisitive mind of mine.
;) ;)

Ray Pina
03-27-2002, 07:21 AM
I haven't entered an "official" tournament in a long time. The last one I entered was in college, after finishing football and getting back into Isshin-Ryu.

I had taken a few years off and when I returned my sensei insistied I use my black belt and take my place in front of class. I really wanted to start from whote again and learn all the katas.

Anyway, that was also my return to tournaments and I found things had changed alot. Everyone wore padding on their feet, chest protectors, gloves and head gear. When I left, I was still a kid, like 12 or 13, and there was no full contact.

I took second. And then I moved and got into Kung Fu out here in NY.

Tournaments are cool, but I'm honestly more into the day to day, finding friendly people to chi sau with or cross hands with in a non viscious way, just to test position and methods.

But there comes a time to represent too. And that's what I'm training for.

Water Dragon
03-27-2002, 08:31 AM
I'm currently training. Keep in mind that local, amateur events play out very differently than professional fights.

apoweyn
03-27-2002, 08:37 AM
competed in some 'full contact' stickfighting tournaments when i was younger. WEKAF events (world eskrima kali arnis federation). got mauled by the no.2 world champion in san francisco one year. nice guy. thankfully.

stuart

Merryprankster
03-27-2002, 01:24 PM
I enter full-contact grappling tournaments all the time.. can't get much more in contact than that. :)

Ok, ok. My first fight is coming up on April 6.

Ray Pina
03-27-2002, 01:51 PM
Water Dragon, how does one make that leap when the time is right?

Merryprankster
03-27-2002, 02:14 PM
E-fist,

You establish a name for yourself in increasingly bigger venues, and get noticed by some promoters that want you in their show.

That said, there are also some small time "pro's" that don't really have any business being there, but if it makes em happy...

Water Dragon
03-27-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
Water Dragon, how does one make that leap when the time is right?

You find a local website detailing the fight scene in your area. I'll end up in one of these events most likely:

www.intensecombat.com

Merryprankster
03-27-2002, 02:32 PM
Oops. Misunderstood the post :)

Black Jack
03-27-2002, 02:32 PM
Waterdragon,

Do you remeber that website for MMA events in the Illionis area?

Did all of those events move over to your state? Does the Chicagoland still hold any of these amature events to watch?

Water Dragon
03-27-2002, 02:40 PM
I think the majority of fights are now in NW Indiana as the rulez are a lot less retrictive over here.

Ray Pina
03-27-2002, 02:51 PM
I wanted to check out that event in NY last weekend but I was in MD for work. In a way it was a blessing because while I train everyday, I have not trained for the ring, ie, endurance.

I would have been good for a fight or two, but not much more then that if I had to go three rounds with each fight against someone good.

I plan on getting back in the water surfing in a few weeks (I blew my knee out in Sept) and that will shed this winter coat I have picked up. I'm thinking of being ready to hit any and all local events by july/Aug.

Thanks for the info. I have friends that think I'm kind of nuts with this type of dream having a degree and all, but something drives me towards it.

Water Dragon
03-27-2002, 02:55 PM
Do it!!!

Two pieces of advice: Get your cardio up to par. Everyone in that ring has some skill so it wont be as quick as you may think. If you gas tooearly, it won't matter how good your technique is.

Spend at least 6 months in a solid BJJ class. Don't even worry about learning subs if you don't want to. Instead, focus on positioning, sweeps, upas, guard passes, and how to get up from dominant positions. Think of the ground game as an insurance policy: You don't want to go there, but if you end up there, it'll get you back on your feet.

Ray Pina
03-27-2002, 02:56 PM
Checked out the website. The comp. looks intense, but everything seems to be out west.

I know Frank Yee always holds his tournament in the fall, I will be fighting at that. But I have already faught most of those guys or their brothers in one way shape or form. My old S. Mantis training brother took second there a year ago (not the last one, the one before that).

I'd like to check out some San Shoa. I would like to fight some guys who will shoot for my legs. I need to train this area.

red_fists
03-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Hey E-Fist.

Just want to wish you all the best in your upcoming fights.

While I personally don't like that type of Comp, I must say I respect the Guys that enter them.

Seeya.

Mutant
03-27-2002, 04:41 PM
Yes, training cardio is huge for full contact. I worked my butt off on cardio and was still not were I need to be...will be working a lot harder on this (and i was running regularly, doing wind sprints, hills, lots of bag work, etc) for future competions.

But training other ring skills are important too. Don't under estimate how streneuous it is....even the fighters training & fighting at a very high level, in a professional level gym, are pretty well tanked after a fight or two, the strikes and throws take a lot out of you, its no walk in the park.

To anwer red fist's question:
i've fought in many light contact tournaments over the years, but thats really a world apart from full contact.
I've only fought in two san shou tournaments...the nationals down in baltimore/towson 2 years ago....i won my fight that time....it was difficult. I took 4th place, could have fought the next day for 3rd, 2nd or 1st place, but had to fly out on sunday, but honestly, i probably wouldnt have fought all that well the next day anyway, cause i was sore as a mofo.
Last year i trained to fight at the nationals in orlando, but got a training injury before the fight so couldnt compete.
I fought in NYC a week and a half ago. I lost the fight. Did some things okay, still need work in other areas. Its all about the process for me anyway. I don't compete for the sake of competition, but more to make myself a better overall martial artist. I plan on training for the nationals again this year and hope to fight well. I have mostly been training for the competitions on my own. I would like to start training with sanshou guru and his guys.
Most of my MA training has been in Wu Xing Chuan, Jing Ga Lohan, and now Wing Chun. I learned most of my san shou type training from my Lohan sifu, Mr. Yu, His training influenced me the most. He moved away to Canada, i still travel to continue my training with him a few times a year. His kung fu is absolutely amazing. He has only taught a small handful of students in private, since leaving China, and I was lucky enough to become one of his inside students. I still have a lot to learn from him, I only have a small fraction of his system. I wish I could still train with him full time. He has trained some champion san da fighters in China. I s#ck compared to them...