PDA

View Full Version : The first time you felt "qi"

Hau Tien
03-27-2002, 01:29 PM
Just curious about some stories of the first time you guys felt your own qi.

In my own experience, it was quite by accident. My fiancee and I were playing with a plastic bottle cap one night while on a lunch break at work. As we continued to play, we'd slap the table, knocking the bottle cap into the air. We actually got right into it (Yes... we were REALLY bored :P ) and one time that I reached out to hit the bottle cap, I felt this area where it felt like a form of electricity between my hand and the table. Thinking it was just me, I had the other people place their hands between mine and the table, and they could feel it too.

It was completely accidental, but now I've found myself noticing it more in my movements while I practice my forms.

In any case... if you've had a similar experience, I'd love to hear about it!

Hau Tien

Justa Man
03-27-2002, 02:08 PM
can't say i've had any experience like that. my first time was my first class. between striking exercises we rest and this is where i felt heat, swelling, and tingling....all the beginner levels of chi feeling.
i wish i had a cool story like your though! :)

dwid
03-27-2002, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately, I grew up and forgot what it felt like so now I'm doing all this crazy shiznit to get in touch with it again.

bamboo_ leaf
03-27-2002, 02:48 PM
ha ha funny!!! :)

joedoe
03-27-2002, 04:07 PM
First felt Qi as a heat/tingling in my hands while doing a breathing exercies.

Felt many manifestations of it since, but one of the coolest was once I was holding hands with my girlfriend when we both noticed a pulsing in the middle of our palms, mine going outwards while hers was going in and vice versa. It was very cool.

Nexus
03-27-2002, 04:43 PM
That's the sign that your girlfriend is a CHI Vampire! Beware! Beware! Beware!

Just kidding!

Zantesuken
03-27-2002, 04:56 PM
CHI vampire OR ahha

first time for me was around 1st or second time trying standing meditation after doing form.

there was this swelling and you know how in standing medtation it's like you're hugging a tree? well i sorta pushed in with my hands and found something resisting. i tried to push harder but it gave in. well i don't do it anymore and sometimes i get this electricky feeling when i'm doing wushu which kinda bothers me in the middle of my form ehhe cause i kinda fall over and sifu starts yelling... ;P

Daniel Madar
03-27-2002, 06:07 PM
you want the first time I felt qi, or the first time I felt qi and knew that was what it was called?

dfedorko@mindspring.com
03-27-2002, 07:12 PM
Actually, I can't remember the first time I felt my Qi - it has been many years but I do have a story.

I am recovering from back surgery since last October and I didn't begin training until the middle of January. Anyway, I was in the garage slapping some concrete. I noticed that I was breaking differently. My wife even commented that what I was doing looked very easy. Bottom line is I used up all my Qi. The bank account was empty when I finished. It was a funny feeling I never experienced.

Damian

Nexus
03-27-2002, 08:02 PM
dfe****o, that is why it is said that for every hour of tai chi you do (with reverse breathing) you do three hours of cultivation (chi kung) so you have some savings in the bank when your done.

One of my teachers said one day he was giving a lecture in front of several hundred students and was in front of the class writing on the chalkboard. He then looked around and the entire room was staring at him with very strange looks on their faces. He asked a girl in front, "Why you are looking at me so strangely" and she said, "Every time you write something on the board you move your hips with the writing". He said this was the first time he really noticed tai chi changing the way he was living his life.

Kumkuat
03-27-2002, 08:13 PM
I don't know when I first felt tingling and pulsing of my fingers (if you call that a sign of qi). But I feel it all the time when I pay attention to the fingers.

fa_jing
03-28-2002, 03:17 PM
Wasn't the first time, but the most profound experience I've had with internal energy was during my meditation practice, I achieved a state where my Dan Tien began to vibrate strangely. I may have been in a shoulderstand the first time it happened, but also this happened with a regular half-lotus pose. I could achieve this state willfully for the next couple of weeks, after that I stopped focusing on meditation for one reason or another and haven't really tried to achieve this again-- and it's been at least two years. I still am aware of other more common manisfestations of Chi in my body.

-FJ

brassmonkey
03-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Perhaps I am wrong but I think its jing you feel and not chi if you are in fact feeling not something entirely different also.

Nexus
03-29-2002, 12:58 AM
Sing the following outloud to cultivate the spiritual energies of the universe:

Jing, Chi, oo cha cha, jing chang, Walla Walla bing bang. Oo Chi Oo Cha Cha wing chang walla walla bing bang!

shaolinboxer
03-29-2002, 09:38 AM
LOL, Nexus.

shaolinboxer
03-29-2002, 09:44 AM
Oh, and the first time was practicing a fist form on a roof top.

bearpaw
03-31-2002, 04:05 AM
My first ... was along time ago. When I would drive and stop at lights some times I would get this tingling feeling all over my body. Later when I started doing Chi Kung, I would get it all the time.