PDA

View Full Version : I need some help! please read! Its about Wushu Kung fu

aheyne
03-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Hello! I have a question for whoever reads this ( hopefully some of you read! i really need help ) : I really want to find a place to train in Wushu kung fu like they do in Iron monkey, because one of my goals for life was to be a great martial artist. Also i was wondering, i live in Darien Connecticut, where is the nearest place(s) to take these types of kung fu? My goal of my life is to be able to fight like they did, or even be well at Kung Fu and be able to do all those ninja techniques.. please respond! Thanks!

I really hope i can find a place near me! i really want to be able to learn those quick techniques, thanks!

old jong
03-27-2002, 08:09 PM
I guess this was your old dojo eh?

Lee's School Of Judo Karate
128 Post Rd. Darien USA
(203) 655-8518
It's all I found!

joedoe
03-27-2002, 08:26 PM
*cough* troll *cough*

Sorry, can't recommend anywhere for you.

jon
03-27-2002, 08:35 PM
"I really want to find a place to train in Wushu kung fu like they do in Iron monkey"
* Simple, just get some mates around, wrap a few feet of steel wire around yourself. Throw the wire over a high support and give the other end to your friends. Now insturct your friends to run in the other direction and jump into the air whilst flailing your legs around franticaly.
Congratualations your now half way there, for the other half you simply need about 10 years as a senior in ones of Chinas many Wushu acadmeys:D

There is also the option of playing the fight scences though frame by frame on DVD and then trying to poorly imitate the movements. This is the prefered option of myself :D

Go learn Hung Ga or Tai Shing Pek Kwar, its what there 'supposed' to be doing;)

red_fists
03-27-2002, 08:40 PM
And when you are finished with what
Jon suggested.

You will have to travel to Japan to enroll into the NINJA University for those awesome "Ninja Technqiues".

Don't worry you will be given a Certificate of a no-longer existant Clan.

Ooops, gots omething wrong with the old Throat: grrrr Troll Grrrrr

Something affecting our Throats in this Thread.
:D

scotty1
03-28-2002, 07:01 AM
I don't know if this guy is a troll, I think you guys might be a bit paranoid. My advice would be this:

-Read lots of stuff about Kung Fu. Jon has previously stated what styles they are supposed to be doing in the movie.

-Be aware that what is best for combat, and what you will probably be doing if you train Kung Fu, is completley different in appearance to what is in the movie.

- So, with that in mind, do you still want to learn Kung Fu?

If you do, find a school, they'll all advertise probably, and they'll be on the net.

Good luck, but I think you need a dose of reality as to what Kung Fu is.

scotty1
03-28-2002, 07:07 AM
The problem with a highly sensitive troll filter is that it probably filters out naive young hopefuls too. :)

Ray Pina
03-28-2002, 09:25 AM
If you're serious, look long and hard before committing time and money. Better to spend a few months looking for what you want rather then jump into the first avaibale or convenient place.

If you want to fight, well you just made it hard on yourself because 80% of schools out there are form factories. They give you th euniforms (after you pay) show you some basic stuff and then keep feeding you forms. Be careful.

Look for a school that trains there students like boxers. Are they doing glove work. Are they fighting? Of coarse not for you coming in the door new, but talk to the advanaced seniors. Ask them, how fosuced is the training on fighting.

You'd be surprised, you'll hear a lot of crap about learning through the form and spiritual this and that. Run from these schools. You can go to church or dancing lessons for that.

Find a school dealing with FIGHTING PRINCIPLES AND THEORIES. That's what you need. Tons of guys look good doing forms, then put them in a ring and they cowar like a little bi ... no need to go there.

Principles and theory. With that you can go home and teach yourself.

Its hard. Don't know conneticut so can't advise. Good luck. If you're willing to take a train or drive into Manhattan (don;'t know the distance for you) I have THE place.

Kristoffer
03-28-2002, 10:00 AM
all non-martial artists aint trolls people :D
well actually, they are.. but not as serious as the typical Ralek or Stacey

aheyne
03-29-2002, 10:55 AM
Yeah, that's my problem, i have at last 150 martial arts magazines and have been trying to find this... But my location really messed me up. Connecticut is a pretty barren place, its not like new york at all... Where is the place Inn Manhatten you were talking about? I probably cannot go to a place more htan 30 minutes away though =(

Thanks for the help anyway, guess ill just try to teach myself until i move or sumthin

aheyne
03-29-2002, 10:57 AM
And also WHAT IS A TROLL?

GeneChing
03-29-2002, 11:09 AM
Check out the Shaolin Wushu Center, 1735 Ellington RD. Town Center, Bldg 5, South Windsor, CT 06074, 860-648-2788. It's run by Master Hu Jianqiang, who starred in the original Shaolin Temple movies alongside Jet Li. Also you might check out Malee's School of Tai Chi - Kung Fu, 806-808 Main St. Peters Building, Manchester, CT 06040 860-646-6818 run by Master Malee Khow www.malees-tai-chi-kung-fu.com. Both schools are distributors of Kungfu Qigong Magazine, so you can be assured they know what magazine to carry. :D
150 mags? Youv'e been reading the wrong ones.

And you guys are all getting a little troll paranoid. Can't you tell an earnest question anymore? You can't blame the youth. You can't fool the youth...:rolleyes:

shoushu
04-02-2002, 07:46 PM
there's also this one:

Ai Ping Tai Chi & Wushu Center
Instructor - Ai Ping Cheng
535 Boston Post Road, Orange, CT
aipingtaichi@bigplanet.com

I think she's a former wushu athlete from China.

either she or hu jian chang would both be good teachers...

red_fists
04-02-2002, 07:51 PM
Hi Gene.

...and be able to do all those ninja techniques..

This is what set Troll Bells and Alarms of for me.
CMA & Ninja techniques. Hmmm.

As for the rest of the Post it sounded like a teen that just wants to look cool & impressive.

:p

Zapf Dingbat
04-02-2002, 08:03 PM
Aheyne, you have to be willing to look around, no matter how barren your location may be. Hell, I live on the gulf coast of Alabama, but I found a little gem of a place here run by a somewhat well known sifu surrounded by all the karate and TKD McDojo's. He disn't advertise at that time, and now his advertisements are mainly through us students and little flyers, so it was very hard to find.

Word of mouth helps. If you know anyone who is into any sort of MA, talk to them. The Yellow Pages may not be the only place to look.

Or you can move down here and I can introduce you to Sifu! :)

wu_de36
04-02-2002, 08:21 PM
If he didn't post about how much kung fu sucks, and how BJJ is superior, or about Emin Boztepe, BK Frantzis, or challenging other forum members, or pretend to be female, he must by all definitions be a troll.

aheyne
04-02-2002, 08:22 PM
What the hell is a troll!!!!!?????

red_fists
04-02-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by aheyne
What the hell is a troll!!!!!?????
roll

1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT. 2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." Compare kook. 3. n. [Berkeley] Computer lab monitor. A popular campus job for CS students. Duties include helping newbies and ensuring that lab policies are followed. Probably so-called because it involves lurking in dark cavelike corners.

Some people claim that the troll (sense 1) is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial. See also Troll-O-Meter.

The use of `troll' in either sense is a live metaphor that readily produces elaborations and combining forms. For example, one not infrequently sees the warning "Do not feed the troll" as part of a followup to troll postings.

KC Elbows
04-02-2002, 08:31 PM
Might I recommend this sight:

http://www.martialart.org/

Its chock full of...stuff. And, he's got a mask on, so he must be a ninja.

aheyne
04-02-2002, 08:32 PM
Well i noticed already that half of you don't like me and think im a troll or whatever... but i would like to tell you that i'm not doing it to impress people or look cool. I have really admired martial arts for a long time and also like to be in shape, not to mention Tai Chi improves your Physical and mental state... I have sever asthma and im hoping this is one of the things that will improve as a result.... Im trying to hook up with the place in Orange CT that someone had posted (thanks!).... Hopefully you realize im not an ass or troll as you say now...

raving_limerick
04-02-2002, 08:37 PM
KC-- since when did real ninjas dance like that? I always thought they were supposed to be totally sweet and flip out and kill things.

One the upside, maybe he was just so fast that I couldn't see it. He is, after all the "fastest Martial ART all over even Bruce Lee and Clay Ali".

jon
04-02-2002, 08:40 PM
aheyne

My post was poking a bit of fun but i didnt accuse you of being a troll. Honestly i actualy gave you a pretty good indication in my first post.
Donnie Yen who plays Wong Kei Ying (The father with the young son) uses kung fu which is meant to look like 'Hung Ga' kung fu. Its basicaly southern Shaolin five animal boxing.
Iron Monkey himself (the doctor and robin hood charactor) uses monkey boxing.

Either way if you really want to study similar stuff to whats used in the movies you will proberly do best in some form of Shaolin kung fu.
I dont know your area so cant recomend any specific schools, still good luck in your search and i hope my original post didnt offend you, it was only meant in fun and good humor :)

red_fists
04-02-2002, 08:43 PM
aheyne.

May I assume that your knowledge of MA is rather limited.

It appears that way from some of your Posts.
May I suggest doing a bit of research into styles and than looking for a Kwoon or Dojo, rather than trying to train anywhere.

Yung Apprentice
04-03-2002, 12:22 AM
you can say ass but you can't say butt?

Yung Apprentice
04-03-2002, 12:25 AM
WOW!!! You can say ass now!!!!!:)

Tae Li
04-03-2002, 04:03 AM
I agree with Red_Fist, do some research man!

And i guess this forum is a good starting point, but research the art and try to get some sort of understanding of what you want to do and how you want to do it before you seek a good dojo.

You never know, in your quest for information you may just come across a master or good student or something...and remember, patience is a virtue.

Tae Li;)

by the way, install this in your brain and never delete it:

JET LI RULES:cool: hehehehehe

red_fists
04-03-2002, 04:12 AM
aheyne.

Me again.

Maybe I am wrong, but I got the feeling that you got the wrong impression of what MA actually is.

Movie MA, Story MA and real life MA are completely different things.

While Jet Li might look cute, I must say his "Romeo Must Die" movie should be burned and banished forever.

Tae Li
04-03-2002, 04:22 AM
argg, give the mana break will ya?
he's trying he really is! lol

plus I reckon he made up for it in Kiss of the Dragon, dont you? hehe

you think his cute?? well well what have we here???:p

better not turn this into ANOTHER jet li thread or their gonna get p!!!!!!sssssed.

Tae Li;)

red_fists
04-03-2002, 04:41 AM
Tae Li.

The "Cute" comment was just for you, I can see why Ladies would go for him.

The best scene, IMO, in "Romeo must die" is where he uses one Lady to fight another one.

With the rest the wires and such were just way to obvious.

aheyne
04-03-2002, 08:12 PM
My main problem is i live in Connecticut... Darien Connecticut.. Its like the most remote part of the world for Kung Fu dojo's or something....=( Maybe i can be a foreign exchange student with someone from china =)

raving_limerick
04-03-2002, 08:23 PM
A word of advice--

if you really want to learn kung-fu, I'd say consider going to college/relocating to a location that offers more in the way of CMA instruction.

Alternatively, you should be aware of the fact that a lot of really good kung-fu lurks just out of sight and in the oddest of places. It might take a lot of work to find a truly reputable sifu/kwoon, but if you're serious about learning some kung fu, ask around. You might be surprised at what you find.

Zapf Dingbat
04-03-2002, 08:42 PM
Oh, and you said you don't want to worry about looking good... well I hate to tell you, but that's all Wushu is! It's a performance art. That's why so many kung fu movie stars have trained most of their lives in Wushu.