PDA

View Full Version : choy lay fut whirling staff

RAIN
03-28-2002, 12:02 AM
the choy lay fut whirling staff form is called in chinese " loong haang kwun " , i know loong means dragon , but what is haang ?

i am start to working in the lee koon hung book and i wonder if the staff sounds are similar to the flying dragon fan sounds :
ha and sit .

CLFNole
03-28-2002, 02:14 PM
It means Dragon Walking Staff.

As far as noises go Sifu explained there are really no set sounds like with the hand forms. You can kind of freestyle it. However in our school "sik" was typically used for spearing strikes "chueng kwun" nd "ha" for the downward striking techniques "saht kwun".

Hope this helps.

Peace.

RAIN
03-30-2002, 05:01 PM
thank you for you ever informative replies ---

this form of choy lay fut staff have a particular story behind ? for what reason was called walking dragon ?
and how about the name of the spinning spear form : " taang loong cheung " , how is the translation ?

CLFNole
03-30-2002, 07:50 PM
I think Sifu gave this form this name for the book. It means Spinning Dragon Spear. The "tang" word means spinning, whirling or very active. To people who followed LKH along time ago the form was referred to a Jau Cheung or Left-side Spear since it is done with the left hand in front.

This is the typical way a spear is used. Northern styles typically always have the left hand leading. Many of CLF's spear forms are staff like and thats way the right hand is in front.

Peace.

extrajoseph
03-30-2002, 10:35 PM
Both "loon haang kwun" and "taang loong cheung" were names given by LKH. They are not names of the traditional forms. CLF staff and spear often use both left and right hands in front and there are forms like "jaw yow sup sarm cheung gwan" (left and right 13 spears staff) that says clearly the importance of holding the weapon on both sides, whether it is a spear or a staff.

RAIN
03-30-2002, 11:29 PM
i don't want start a discussion with this , but why the lee koon hung changes are not take it like traditional ones . he was a traditional master like jeong hung sing and chang heung .
is like say that the changes make it for lam sai wing in hung gar are not traditionals .

is only my opinion .

Fu-Pow
03-31-2002, 01:30 AM
Good question Rain.

My opinion is that LKH was not as "traditional" as many CLF Sifu's. He was an innovator and I think he cut out a lot of the "crap" to make a very practical system of fighting that many people could learn.

Learning many forms up through the Hok Ying form and Double Swords I have found that many of the movements fit together nicely and build upon each other.

If you are looking for a more "traditional" system, then the Chan Family might have more to offer in this regard.

Again....just my opinion.

Peace.

CLFNole
03-31-2002, 10:09 AM
Well said Fu Pow.

That is exactly how many of us who followed him think. I have seen a lot of other CLF and they some of their postures are kind of bend over a bit in the stances. I was told this is very old style. Lee Koon Hung as well as many other CLF sifus of today teach with the upper body more upright. It looks stronger.

He was traditional yet he wasn't totally bound by that tradition.

Peace.

RAIN
03-31-2002, 11:31 AM
i am not speaking what system is better . i know well that . i am speaking about how people like to curse to someone only because don't follow the rules . they are dammned in the present , but the story of the humanity always pay respect in the future . they are " special people " i think . in my opinnion , the traditional kung fu become stronger and grow thanks to people like wong fei hung , lam sai wing , jeong hung sing , wong long , bruce lee , lee koon hung . people that start to think different than the rest of us . people superior to us in a way . and this special people is seen in all areas , not only in kung fu . you see them in art , cience , politics , etc . they are magic people , and i am happy to not are too tied to the traditional ways and can see that .

my admiration for you , grandmaster lee koon hung , you kung fu masterwork , your legacy , you style , come to places you never dreamed . thak you , sifu , whereever you are .

extrajoseph
04-01-2002, 02:01 AM
RAIN,

English is not my first language either, so I can understand the mixed up. I was talking about the names of the forms not being traditional names, NOT Lee Koon Hung himself being traditional or not. For all I know they could be traditional forms. There is a big difference there and I can assure you that I have every respect for the man and his teaching.

JosephX

RAIN
04-02-2002, 08:51 PM
i 'd don't want to point at you x - trajoseph . for i know of you . you are a man that always respect late grandmaster lee koon hung . was only a open questiuon to his linaje's students .
when i 'd start to search clf info many guys point with saying like " .. watch out whit his kneeling stance , going to hurt you knee .... " or things like " he make a style different to everybody " . so , i'd always have the dude about what thinking his followers .

CLFNole
04-03-2002, 12:09 PM
I never really care much about what other people have to say. I always look at the source it comes from. Who is traditional or not traditional depends on one's own definition of traditional. With kung fu I think people should have an open mind and be open to others ideas. Closed minded thinking will more harm than good and sometimes things are lost because of the old way of thinking.

If you like Lee Koon Hung's style then follow his style. If there is no one around you who you can learn from, then do what you are doing by buying is books and various videos that are available from Li Siu Hung, Wong Tat Mau or Mak Hin Fai. If you really want to help yourself make a trip to one of them and you will realize much different learning in person is from watching a video.

As far as people telling you our lok gwai ma will hurt your knee, I have been doing it for years and never hurt my knee. Lee Koon Hung had 1,000's of students and I never heard of one blowing out their knee from a knee down horse. Our lok gwai ma always you to move fast and get up quickly in my opinion.

Don't worry about what others have to say (good or bad) just keep training. This is the most important thing.

Peace.

yutyeesam
04-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Just out of curiousity, why does the LKH-TMW styles do the sideways knee down for Lok Gwai Ma? Any particular reason?

The more common straight knee down (but not touching the ground) seems more mobile...

I've never seen any other Southern style do the kneeling stance like this...but then again, my exposure is really limited.

CLFNole
04-03-2002, 05:43 PM
I don't know why nor do I really care. I have tried it both ways and like the way I was taught. Personally I find it more mobile and quite quick.

Peace.