PDA

View Full Version : Southern Praying Mantis v.s. Loong ying

CannonFist
03-07-2001, 01:10 PM
I have heard that Chow Gar Praying Mantis' Yip Shui has had a challenge match with Dragon style's Lam Yiu Kwai in HK. Is that true? If so what was the outcome?

fiercest tiger
03-07-2001, 01:15 PM
dont mean to be rude, but thats trolling a little and may start a war between schools.

just my 2 cents worth!

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

meltdawn
03-07-2001, 03:27 PM
"THE MANTIS AND THE DRAGON MASTER

Before Sifu Ip Chee was born, Grandmaster Ip Sui was a young man, a student of Lau Sui, living in Kowloon and working as a driver for the China Light Electric Company. At this time, tradition had it that anyone wishing to come to a town and set up a Kung Fu school had to have their skills tested by way of a public tournament.

A famous Dragon Style Master by the name of Lam Yui Kwai decided that he would take advantage of the healthy economy of Ip Sui's town, and so he travelled from his home in mainland China, and placed an advertisement in the local newspaper...

'I have come to mend all of your Sifu's broken styles.'

This was obviously a great insult to all of the Kung Fu Sifu living in the area at the time, not least Ip Sui and his Tonglong brothers. This arrogant man would have to be tested, and with any luck, taught some humility into the bargain.

The Dragon Master was a giant of a man, powerfully built and his reputation preceded him. Nonetheless, tradition stated that he should be tested by tournament, and so a tournament was arranged.

His opponent was to be one of Ip Sui's Kung Fu brothers. The day of the tournament arrived, and the crowds gathered to spectate. About 2 hours prior to the tournament, Ip Sui received a phone call from his Kung Fu brother, saying that he would be 'unable to make the tournament - business arrangements'. Ip Sui said that he should cancel the arrangements, that he had to fight the Dragon Master, and teach him a lesson. He refused to fight the Dragon Master.

Ip Sui had no choice but to take his place. Lam Yui Kwai stood head and shoulders above Ip Sui, his frame making the Mantis student appear small by comparison. Ip Sui told Lam Yui Kwai that he was a student of Lau Sui. The Dragon Master said that he was familiar with the skill of the then Mantis Grandmaster. 'Lau Sui's Kung Fu is of a high level'; he told Ip Sui, 'But he doesn't teach his students to a similarly high level.' Ip Sui stood his ground and pointed out that the Dragon Master had no idea what Lau Sui had taught him. He asked if he would like to fight using his hands, or weapons - the Dragon Master said they should fight empty handed, otherwise Ip Sui would get killed.

The fight started, the tall and powerful Dragon Master, and the small slender Mantis student. Lam Yui Kwai was strong, but Ip Sui was faster. He blocked, and struck out at the Dragon Master, hitting him in the face. The injured Sifu fell backwards, clasping his injury. His face swelled, and appeared bruised. Ip Sui could have finished him off, but it seemed that the Dragon Master was no match for his speed and short range strikes. The referees called an end to the tournament on the spot. Ip Sui was the winner. Lam Yui Kwai said that Ip Sui was the first fighter to beat him in over 30 years of Kung Fu. He conceded to his superior skill, and returned to his home in mainland China.

After the tournament, Ip Sui was a local celebrity. People in the town pestered him to teach them this impressive Kung Fu system. Subsequently, Ip Sui gave up his job and opened his own school, ultimately becoming the Grandmaster of the Chowgar Southern Mantis system."

Disclaimer:
Everyone does not claim this as their history. Words are just water off a duck's back.

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

MarkS
03-07-2001, 03:42 PM
Melt, hey :-)
Which London Chow gar school does this come from?
Is it a web site?
What I wonder is the Lam familys version?

Mark

meltdawn
03-07-2001, 06:41 PM
You can do a search for Chow Gar Ip Shui.

Lam Family does not have a "version". :)

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

fiercest tiger
03-08-2001, 02:03 AM
meltdawn i heard it was the other way around,
that lam yuil gwai won.

i may be wrong, ill check it out see what i can get. :)

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Kevin Barkman
03-08-2001, 05:51 AM
Well, here's the real version of what happened:

One day, Lao Sui with a few of his students was walking about the Lao Foo Shen area, when he came across an elderly old man who was practising his chi gung. "Old Man" he said, "your gung-fu is no good - if you keep practicing this method, you will not live to see your grandchildren grow-up and prosper".

The old man said nothing, but continued to practice. Lao Sui persisted, "look old man - I see that we are from the same gung-fu family. Stop this unusual practice now, and join my school, or we will have to punish you for your impertinance". The old man just smiled, and continued his exercise.

This infuriated one of Lao Sui's senior students, who lost control of himself and leapt at the old man, using his continuious rotating phoenix eye technique punching method. To everyone's astonishment, the old man easily dissolved his power, then flung the student into the far bush.

Enraged, Lao Sui said to the old man, "sir, your gung-fu is not so bad after all, but it is no match for my vibrating palm" - he began to shake and tremble, gathering his chi for the destructive surge of power he intended to throw at the old man.

The old man, assuming Lao Sui was having an epileptic seizure, rushed to his side to give him what aid he might. However, Lao Sui began to flail at him, forcing the old man to show his hand. With regret, he calmly stept forward, and swung his right soy kiew in a perfect arc, striking the Mantis Master directly to his arm.

The Mantis Master gasped, his arm now numb and useless, and realized his enormous error. "Forgive me master" he cried, "and please, teach me the real gung-fu".

The old man sighed. For the old man was Tai Yuk, and he had seen so many "masters" come and go. But Lao Sui had potential. "From now on", he decreed, "the Dragon and Southern Mantis families shall be as one, however, for your impetious actions, you shall pay me, through the Lam Family, ten cows". Lao Sui agreed, and the agreement held for many years.

Unfortunately, one day, a student of Lao Sui,hoping to make his mark on the wu-lin world, with several of his lackeys, attacked a Lam Family man one day with a blow to the back of his head. Reeling, the Lam man spun around and assumed the Sam Tung Position, ready to destroy the holigan as he had so many in the past.

However, seeing the powerful presence and intense gleam in his eye, the Southern Mantis student turned and took tail - but he could not match the speed of the fierce Dragoner, who rushed forward and seized the ruffian with his "dragon claw" technique. Turning him about, he realized the identity of the near'do well, and said unto him:

"go back to your master and explain yourself to him, for he will not be pleased, but with honesty you might yet redeem yourself, and avoid the terrible punishment he will no doubt wish to inflect upon who would be so bold as to break our once sacred pact".

The Southern Mantis teacher agreed, but only to expediate himself from the precarious position in which he had placed himself. Once the Dragon Master had taken his leave, the Mantis teacher rallied his students around him, and with his few remaining coppers, convinced them to attend to his own version of what had transpired.

P.S. - It is sad that this particular student of the Chu Ga Family seeks personal aggrandizement over the coffin of his dead breathern. Shame on him.

tonfas
03-08-2001, 08:55 AM
Hi,

The things is passed, what is the point to say it again.

Regardless, what happens, every things gone with the wind.please do not rolled back the history, let it gone, otherwise WW3.

I think, this forum is for all qualify sifu to talk about kung fu, not for fighting, not for causes trouble, not for politic, not for revenged.

thanks kelvin. i am very respect you. you are the only one talk about the arts, not politic at all. good man always leanrt more at the end.

I will be your friend for ever.

tonfas@hotmail.com

MarkS
03-08-2001, 02:27 PM
FiercestTiger:meltdawn i heard it was the other way around,
that lam yuil gwai won.
i may be wrong, ill check it out see what i can get

Tonfas:thanks kelvin. i am very respect you. you are the only one talk about the arts, not politic at all. good man always leanrt more at the end.

Err, OK. :-)

Stories are just that don'tcha think?

Mark

tnwingtsun
03-08-2001, 02:56 PM
It would make one hell of a movie!!

MonkeySlap Too
03-08-2001, 07:29 PM
"an epilectic seizure!" Bwah-ha-ha-ha

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

MoQ
03-08-2001, 08:28 PM
In some ways it is everyones responsibility to protect and respect the elders of other systems as if they were our OWN.

CannonFist
03-10-2001, 12:47 PM
I have actually seen an article on an interview with Yip Sui which described the match similarly to the London Chow Gar group. However Yip Sui did not mentioned names only that it was with a senior kung fu master from another style.

I do not want to start a discussion which cause war between schools but its interesting to know about these kung fu trivia. Being combative arts there are bound to be matches between masters just like the match bewteen Tibetan white crane's Chan Hak Fu and Wu style Tai Chi's Wu Kung Yi (grandson of Wu style founder). And of course there are the made up stories of matches between the Xing Yi expert, Guo Yun Shun (known as the divine crushing fist) and Bagua founder Dong Hai Chuan, or the match between Buck Sing Choy Lay Fut founder, Tam Sam and Northern Shaolin master Ku Yu Cheung who was known for his iron palm.