PDA

View Full Version : Wierd leg pain

raving_limerick
03-29-2002, 02:52 PM
so, I've been running on the track over the last week or so to get back into shape, and I've noticed this odd pain in my right leg about knee level. It's a really wierd feeling, not tight like a pulled muscle or really sharp, it just feels kind of hollow and dully painful. It also seems very hard to pin-point where it's coming from. Does anyone know what is going on with my leg?

fa_jing
03-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Your knee, man. Lots of knee conditions have that symptom.
Sorry I can't tell you more. Go to an orthopedist if you have to know.

-FJ

raving_limerick
03-29-2002, 03:18 PM
So it's more than likely a knee condition? That sucks. My mom has really bad joints and I hope I didn't inheret them, but we'll soon find out, I guess.

Anyhow, thanks for the quick reply, fa_jing.

Paul
03-29-2002, 03:48 PM
since you have only started running again a week ago, I would think It probably isn't serious. Try taking a few days off. Your leg is most likely giving you a warning.

I wouldn't freak out and go to the doctor immediately, see how things feel after a little rest.

Qi dup
03-29-2002, 03:50 PM
I'm going to have to reply to this one a little later, i'm just heading out right now. I've had 3 knee surgerys, so maybe i can help. later

raving_limerick
03-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. A few things:

Paul said: "since you have only started running again a week ago, I would think It probably isn't serious. Try taking a few days off. Your leg is most likely giving you a warning.

I wouldn't freak out and go to the doctor immediately, see how things feel after a little rest."

I thought about this too. The thing that worries me is that this flared up once before a few weeks ago. I was home on spring break so I ran a bit in this park near my folk's place, and the paths there had recently been paved. The next day, I felt the same sort of pain, but a little stronger. At the time, I just rested it up and wrote it off as my body not being used to running on hard surfaces (I usually get in shape by playing soccer and running on grass), but now I'm really starting to wonder.

Once again, thanks for all the help, guys. I appreciate it.

crazybuddha
03-29-2002, 08:29 PM
having injured my knees some time ago, I have a view on this. Pain = damage. If you're lucky, the damage is not severe and will heal on its own. But I can tell you, it takes a while. Lay off the soccer and lay off the running. The real test is whether it hurts while doing normal activities. In any case don't stress it for at least a week, then gradually do some activities. It may be that you are getting older but still feel the invincibility of youth. It's a rough transistion that plagues a lot of people sooner or later.

The test for severity is whether you can bear weight on it or not. If you can't, you have to see a doctor or go to the emergency dept.

Cyborg
03-30-2002, 07:44 AM
If it hurts don't run on it and if you could avoid running on hard surfaces that would be good. Stick with grass if possible. Make sure your shoes aren't worn out, they need to absorb impact.

Qi dup
03-30-2002, 10:14 AM
Try and pin point where the pain is coming from. This can be tough, but see what you can do. after the pain starts is there anything you can do ti make it better? resting it for a second, stretchuing, things liek that. does it hurt everytime you run, or does it come and go? First thing that came to my mind is that you might have a lose body floating around in there from a previos injury. It's a long shot guess, just first thing that came to mind. Let us know a little bit more about the pain.

raving_limerick
03-30-2002, 01:57 PM
Wow, this is going to be a long post, I can already tell.

CrazyBuddha- I have no problem putting weight on it, especially after I rest it a bit. When I was running in the gym and it started up, I simply sat down, did some stretching and walked the last third of my lap. I walked home fine on it, and it hasn't bothered me today, so far. As for the other time, I didn't really notice whether or not it was hindering me because I pulled my quad (I didn't warm it up enough when it was cold) on the same leg and that bothered me a whole lot more. Could it be me just putting an odd amount of stress on it because of bad running form or something?

Cybog- Shoes might be something to look at, because I'm running in a pair of Vans skate shoes which aren't really running shoes.

Qi-dup- The pain is a wierd thing. It doesn't feel like my knee is tight, or is really sharp, it's just uncomfortable and dully aching. My mom said that it sounds nothing like the pain she has with her joints, so I hope that it's not arthritis-like in nature. The previous injury thing might be something to think about because I used to play goalie in high school and my knees took a lot of punishment, but I've switched to fullback in college. If it is a floating body, how would I get it checked out? Is it a simple doctor's appointment or is it a bit more invasive?

Once again, thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

SaMantis
03-31-2002, 03:46 PM
Like paul and crazybuddha said, resting for a few days will help. A few years ago I re-started a running program, tried to do 2 miles at once, and almost immediately started having knee pain very similar to what you describe. The orthopedist diagnosed bursitis. Treatment was ibuprofen, rest and elevation for 3 days, then 1 week's rest. Then I had to restart the exercise program slowly, build up to 2 miles over a couple of months' time.

And shoes, like Cyborg says. Invest in a good pair of running shoes (not cross-trainers) with good cushioning and a stable base. They'll help prevent shinsplints, too.

:)

Qi dup
03-31-2002, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about a loose body. If it is however, doctors may or may not be able to find it. worst case, they would go in orthoscopicly (sp?) and see what was inside. but don't worry about that to much at this point. Different shoes was definatly a good suggestion by Cyborg and SaMantis. Make sure you get shoes where the interior cusion can come out. then go to Garts and get some arch saports that cover most of the bottom of your foot. it should be hard plastic on the bottom and soft stuff on the top. ask the people at the store, they should be able to help. you see, if you don't have enough arche sapport your foot will start to 'fold in' a little because there is nothing in your shoe to hold it up. while you are sitting in your chair, put your feet on the ground and pay atention to how that feels. now roll your feet in, flatening your arches. notice how you can feel it in your knees? this could be what is happening. the little tweek can iritate your knees. Just my thoughts, I'm not an expert and I could be wrong.

chyisan
04-01-2002, 11:23 PM
Before you go to an Orthopedic surgeon, I'd suggest going to a Chiropractor first. Your knee pain could be due to muscle imbalances that throw off your biomechanics. Or it could be from a previous injury that didn't heal properly. A good chiropractor will be able to determine the problem and correct it with either adjustment and/or prescribe various excercises to re-educate your leg muscles. If it needs surgery, he will refer you. Try chiropractic, it works.

Is the pain on the inside/outside knee? Front/back?

raving_limerick
04-02-2002, 08:33 PM
Hey guys,

Just got back from the gym and I'm happy to report that the knee is doing just fine. I think this is because I looked in my soccer cleats and realized that I had put some insoles in a long time ago. So, I went down to the local walgreens, picked up a few cheapo insoles and voila, the knee feels fine. I'm going to take it easy for the next couple days just in case it flares up, and if it does, I think I'll take advantage of the university's health system to get it checked out.

Nonetheless, thanks for the advice everyone.