PDA

View Full Version : Modern MA Health or Fighting

gwendolyn
03-30-2002, 05:54 AM
I personally am sick of schools passing themselves off as kung-fu when it is nothing more than a fancy looking Holiday Spa. Granted this is a different world than China a few hundred years ago, but what is happening to the fighting aspect of Kung fu. I think there is more to kung fu than just fighting, but that seems to be the aspect that is usually forgotten. Most people would be better off going to a boxing gym if they wanted to learn how to fight. I know there are exceptions, but I think it is very prevelant. Anybody got an opinion? :D

dezhen2001
03-30-2002, 06:38 AM
This is my opinion

you have to be healthy to be able to fight well, otherwise you'll still lose. It takes a time to build up the neccessary attributes (health, stamina, use of power, posture, speed, skill in using your style) to be able to fight all out. My style is Wing Chun Kuen. I used to study Muay Thai, Boxing and other styles but changed to this. Wing Chun suits me better, and it seems more natural. Now some schools go all out and do full contact sparring from the get go. I'd much rather spend time on the form and learn how to utilise everything properly in Chi Sau than to spar right away (i've been training 18 months btw and other styles for the past 13 years). Maybe you can use what you've learned in a fight, but is it the correct way? Do you have to use too much strength, are you tense etc. So the skill has to be developed correctly.

Some people either need to or want to learn how to fight right away. So maybe boxing or something suits them better. I just want to learn and understand the skill more. I would like to be able to defend myself, yes, but really i train because i am interested and enjoy it.

Hmmm... on the other side of the coin i have seen what i think you mean. Schools who do lots of exercises and forms, with very little actual sparring (correct me if i'm wrong with that :p). Do you mean like some 'Tai Chi' schools etc. In that case they would probably be better doing something like Qigong as it is purely for health :)

just what i think right now,
david

nospam
03-30-2002, 08:37 AM
gwendolyn,

Many MAs today are more concentrated on patterns and light tournament (pont) sparring. I believe a major reason is because that is where the business of "martial arts" is.

More and mor epeople are becoming involved in MA, and kung fu holds an allure because of its past, hollywood movies, and people's general mythperceptions. Nonetheless, people are walking through kwoon doors and for the most part falling in love with the kung fu outfits, Chinese decor, playing with weapons, and becoming multicultural. Fut Gar of the new millennium is the Greenback Cheung.

It gets down to supply and demand. There are more folks wanting to pump-up the metabolism by playing one part kung fu. Look at te explosion of Tai Chi. The Tai Chi taught in many kwoons today is not real Tai Chi. It is one part Tai Chi catered to what the public wants - demand.

When I open my kwoon doors and those that walk through want to sweat and dance and be merry, then I teach them a good verbal game of martial arts, exercise, and pretty Chinese folk moves that they can win trophies with at tournaments. As a business operator, I supply what my custoers want. Hopefully a small core of 2-3 students will turn out to be worthy and actually dedicate themselves...hopefully.

I personally do not have any problem with today's martial arts....Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight. Across the nation, around the world. Ev'rybody have fun tonight. A celebration so spread the word. Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

nospam.
:cool:

gwendolyn
03-30-2002, 03:00 PM
I hear what you are saying ,but I think that there are too many "forms" schools out there posing as "traditional" MA, and traditional MA do teach you how to fight, along with the other aspects. What happens when these "forms" schools start turning out Sifus who know only that? That is what I am afraid is happening. I believe the most important part of Kung fu is to make you a better person, but it is a fighting art and should not be watered down. Otherwise just say what it really is, a health spa with chinese flavor. :rolleyes:

LiLong
03-31-2002, 10:40 PM
Hello gwendolyn,

This is a good question and the guys above have made good points. Forms are a great way to develop a repertoire of techniques, muscle memory and physical fitness. But the application training is the most valuable. But every rose has its thorn as well. I have seen and talked to some great practioners here in Tampa who really are not into sparring. Are they not complete? I don't know. They feel complete and I am not going to judge.
Personally, both would be the answer. Whereas I have physically seen the results of good training (i.e. physical fitness), I wish I never have to use the actual training I get other than a sparring match and even then I tend to hold back due to the nature of the strikes and, often pull back on the power. I may be liable for really hurting somebody otherwise... (we all may if we do not control our power). However in an event such as the WTC attacks, well trained individuals (civilians in this case) could have fought and overtaken the terrorists. Really is a catch 22 situation. Personally, the two concepts are inseparable, and only time will tell which of the benefits outweigh the other or if the tao holds true both will develop and coexist in harmony.

Cheers, :)