PDA

View Full Version : Austinites - Tai Chi People is moving

Chang Style Novice
03-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Shifu Hwang's school and herb store, which used to be on the drag behind Veggie Heaven chinese restaurant, is moving a bit north to a new location at 30th st and Guadalupe, between Crimson Dragon Tattoos and Centennial Liquor.

The space is being shared with another kungfu teacher, at least for a little while. I was walking by there today and popped in to see Shifu Hwang and talked for a bit about the future of the school. The other teacher in the space is a gent by the name of Steve (didn't catch his last name) who teaches Hung Ga. The plan is for him to teach there until such time as he is able to open his own location for a school. I asked him a couple of quick questions about Hung Ga - an art about which I know very little - and he said it might be a good idea for me to try the art out on account of I'm a big, tall guy. Shifu Hwang also said I might trade painting a sign for the new store for some lessons. (I'm happy to do it but have never painted on a mural scale before, and frankly am so happy to have some money coming in on account of my new job that I WANT to pay him in cash.)

Anyway, just thought I'd let y'all know where to find the new place. Drop on by and get the dit da jow endorsed by Jon Wayne Taylor!

PS - so, were going to try for a mid-april weekend nosh, right?

GLW
03-30-2002, 04:15 PM
I would say try it out but there is a difference - If you are a tall guy but not stocky or or muscular build, you may find that Hung Gar is not a good fit for you. Being Tiger Crane and in the early stages you emphasize more tiger, stronger built people have an easier time with it.

This is not to say that you can't get good at it regardless...just that you may not find it a natural fit. In china, the southern folks tended to be shorter and stockier...and Hung Gar is ar southern art - so it captializes on their strengths.

It is a good style with a lot of depth, though.

Chang Style Novice
03-30-2002, 04:20 PM
Thanks GLW. I'm built pretty long and lean, and with my new job (and decision to stop drinking so much) I'm just getting leaner. I figured the crane stuff would be a better fit.

Shifu Steve said that when he started kungfu, he went to a Monkey stylist, who sent him to Hung Ga because he was too big to be a monkey.

guohuen
03-31-2002, 10:38 AM
Your gonna love it! Tall people can simply stretch out chang quan style.

GGL
03-31-2002, 01:28 PM
I was just on the drag with the wife on Fri and stopped into see him, but wasn't able to catch him.. I talked to another guy.. I guess it was Steve.. I didn't really get to talk cause of da wife:D .. but I'm up in Round Rock.. so I guess he'll be a little closer now..

Chang Style Novice
03-31-2002, 01:31 PM
Ten whole blocks!

JWTAYLOR
04-01-2002, 06:27 AM
I just want to post again that I endorse Shifu Hwang's herbs, his kung fu, and his general demeanor as well.

His DDJ, Iron Shirt, Iron Palm, 5 Imortals, and Athletes Replenish are all stuff I've tried and they work great. His Iron Shirt and his DDJ is actually majic, well I'm pretty sure it's majic.

I don't know anything about his weapons work, or anything other than his TTC, but I can personally attest to the effectiveness of both his technique and his instruction.

Moreover, he is one of the nicest, most accomodating men I know. He's always been very good to me and I would recommend him to anyone.

Nice guy, all around.

JWT

DelicateSound
04-01-2002, 08:21 AM
JWT - You have spelt the word magic incorrectly. Chang Style Novice should be ashamed to call you a friend.

Either that or its a secret spelling that only Texans know.

JWTAYLOR
04-01-2002, 08:30 AM
I've said it once and I'll say it again.

Webster was a facist.

"Correct" spelling is simply another tool used by Big Brother to keep you sheep from exploring and expression your individuality.

Fight the power.
Viva le Resistance

JWT