PDA

View Full Version : Blind Students?

Chen
03-31-2002, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I had an interesting test on my teaching this week. A partially sighted person (totally blind in one eye and extremly limited vision in the other) came for a private lesson.

Interesting what you may take for granted when teaching, for example when I was demonstrating I had to verbalise everything that I would normally assume people would pick up.

we started on some sensitivity work and basic arm movement off touch.

Has anyone else had experience teaching or training with a partially sighted person?? Where would you start in terms of teaching. Would you start with the basics (punching and kicking) or go into sticking hands??

anything you wish to share would be helpful.

thanks,

Chen

Chinwoo-er
03-31-2002, 11:49 AM
for the question on whether kicking is focussed on or not.

Around a year ago, when I was teaching karate, I had a completely blind student. He stayed for only a few lessons ( probably my lack of experience in teaching visually impaired people )

For those few lessons, I focused on stance and hand works. I think it is better if they ( as a beginner ) get a more natural feel of their body moving first. Gain control of their arms and legs. I talked alot and had to maniplate his body hands on many occasions. But I find that with a little bit more effort, he was a much better student than most others, maybe because he put in alot more work.

I just started to teach kicks when he left so i can't be sure what would have happened.

dezhen2001
03-31-2002, 03:27 PM
I don't know how to teach someone who is partially sighted/blind, but just wanted to relate to you a story about one of my Sisuk.

He's been training Wing Chun, Hard Qigong, Soft Qigong and now Chen Taijiquan for around 7 years in total. I've only been with my Sifu for around 18 months, but have spent a lot of time with my Sisuk also. He's basically my hero! His Wing Chun is so good, very sensitive and strong posture, and he is really just solid like a brick wall :D He always does the demonstrations of breaking bricks on the head etc. The training has really helped his posture, balance and attitude and now he even teaches! He teaches 2 classes a week and has to travel on the train to get to each. Most people when they see him training don't even realise that he's 90% blind!

He told me that one of the main reasons for him training was to get confidence in himself and get healthy. ALso to help his balance etc. It's certainly done that and he's one of my Sigongs senior students now :)

I just wanted to say good luck if you are teaching someone who's partially sighted. Don't give up because i'm sure they won't either! :)

david

Justa Man
03-31-2002, 04:33 PM
that it really interesting chen. i've never had to teach a visually impaired person and i see how much we with eyesight take for granted. what a challenge!
i think i would go into sensitivity exercises first. these will help give dude a good feel of another persons body touching theirs. then, when moving onto punching, blocking, kicking, this may give him a better feel for things. he may get more out of doing block/punch drills because he can now visualize better a punch he'd have to block from feeling another's hand/arm.
just a thought though as i have NO experience in this.
best of luck! ! :D

Sharky
03-31-2002, 09:38 PM
lyrical... GYMNIST?

Chen
04-01-2002, 03:08 AM
thanks for the replies.

It is useful to hear of your experiences and thoughts- this is so new to me.

Interesting point made about balance. When I was doing some warm up exercises, the student found it very difficult to keep balance. again any suggestions or just keep doing these in the hope this will improve?

chen