PDA

View Full Version : A topic for you all to go crazy with:

eviljungle
10-05-2001, 05:11 PM
What style (besides wing chun) do you honestly believe best destroys the advantage that a large person has over a small person?

Felipe Bido
10-05-2001, 05:34 PM
No doubt about it. ;)

-------------------------
-When it comes my turn...will you want me to go?
-For Democracy any man'd give his only begotten son.

TatewakiKuno
10-05-2001, 05:42 PM
so then what happens if a large guy knows wing chun

Nutt'nhunny
10-05-2001, 07:38 PM
hmmm Hsing I. Snake style/wing chun

any good striking art that includes body controls, chin na. Aikido. Aikijujitsu

Kung Lek
10-05-2001, 07:51 PM
special forces sniper style! :D

seriously though, no style has the advantage, once again it is about the stylist and their personal ability to express their art in a variety of given situations.

A North Shaolin or a South Shaolin stylist has all the tools of the wing chun stylist also. Traditional Shaolin Arts, excluding new performance style of contemporary wu shu are where wing chun was distilled from.

So it would be incorrect to state that wing chun could handle hung gar or anything else that has shared roots in its creation and development as a martial style.

peace

Kung Lek

Water Dragon
10-05-2001, 08:01 PM
Taijiquan
Xingyiquan
Baguazhang
Bajiquan
Shuai Chiao
Brazilian Ju Jutsu
Bujinkan Taijutsu
Western Boxing
Muay Thai
Jow Gar
Kun Tao
Silat
Bak Me
Liuhebafa
Chang Quan
and almost every other art

Provided they are taught directly

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

DrunkenMonkey
10-05-2001, 08:04 PM
Your potential is different than the potential of a man 50 pounds bigger in muscle than you. Whatever the odds of you winning are purely by chance and not pure skill.

A 12 year old kid who took TKD for 6 years is still going to get his ass kicked by me even though I only have 1½ years of experience, thats just the way it goes.

Even if I am a male model who has been modeling for 10 years, there will still be some person out there who is not interested at all in modeling and yet is 3 times better looking than me, because for some reason God made him and me that way.

Its just the way it goes.

when a 13 year old kid beats the **** out of a 20 year old guy who weighs 70 lbs more than him, then you can contradict me.

dooder
10-05-2001, 08:36 PM
I think the well trained 12 year old would win. I was always able to hold my own as a teenager with less trained fighters who were older and bigger. If I thought otherwise I probably wouldn't train at all. What good would my kung fu be? There's certainly an amount of chance involved in any sitiuation but if skill is not the deciding factor why be a martial artist and train at all? Size can be an advantage or disadvantage depening on how it's used. It's the skill and attitude of the oppents not size. What does male modeling have to do with anything?

Ralek
10-05-2001, 08:47 PM
Royce Gracie used Brazilian jiujitsu to defeat a bunch of guys who out wieghed him by 50 - 80 pounds wieght advantage.

Most notably Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn. Dan Seven was an olympic Gold medal Wrestler and out wieghed Royce by 80 pounds. Royce won by triangle choke. No kung fu guy in the world who wieghs 80 pounds less could beat Severn. Only BJJ can allow you to do this.

I am the Grand Ultimate Fist

Stranger
10-05-2001, 08:55 PM
Dan Severn was a US Olympic team alternate in 1984 and 1988. He never won an Olympic medal.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Scott R. Brown
10-05-2001, 09:39 PM
There is more to streetfighting than size, strength and grappling skills. Strategy and tactics are much more important. When many people discuss fighting they are referring to duels. A duel is when two individuals and only two individuals meet in combat. This is unlikely to occur in a real streetfight. Although can be common amongst juveniles settling some school issue. The UFC and similar events are not true examples of fighting skills. These are duels in a controlled environment; even street duels are not streetfights. How one defends against street situations depends on the specific circumstance i.e. the number of assailants, the immediate environment, obstacles etc. Streetfights often involve numerous individuals and therefore require different tactics and strategies. Mobility/agility becomes more important than size. Surprise and brutality are the most successful tactics an individual can utilize in a street situation. The individual that is able to surprise their opponent with a brutal tactic will increase their opportunity for success. Small size in these circumstances can be an advantage.

Sincerely,

Scott

S.Teebas
10-05-2001, 09:42 PM
Flick Knife style

Jeff Liboiron
10-05-2001, 09:53 PM
Wing chun/hapkido, and ninjutsu work well

Jeff Liboiron
10-05-2001, 09:54 PM
drunken boxing :)

Wongsifu
10-05-2001, 11:13 PM
all styles thats why they were developed.

I wongsifu shall strike fear into the hearts of trolls and mma guys who **** me off on these forums oh and in real life.

Shooter
10-06-2001, 02:19 AM
..egzactellent!

>"Strategy and tactics are much more important"<

The interactive components (interposition, repartee, etc) aren't even considered for the most part. Deceptive posturing and concealed "ready-stance", subtle shifting of angle, position...all part of the pre-contact phase (set-up).

<"The UFC and similar events are not true examples of fighting skills. These are duels in a controlled environment; even street duels are not streetfights"<

No accounting for terrain, footwear, environmental setting and obstacles, clothing, eclectic weapons and other resources.

>"How one defends against street situations depends on the specific circumstance i.e. the number of assailants, the immediate environment, obstacles etc. Streetfights often involve numerous individuals and therefore require different tactics and strategies"<

Yup.

Good post, Scott.

eviljungle
10-07-2001, 03:55 PM
In the few arts I've studied, Shotokan, wing chun, hung gar, and very recently Dragon, I've found techniques and methods that have helped me with my small stature (5'3). Just wanted to see how everyone else would react to such a question. I've often felt that 'it's not the art, but the artist'.

One thing I did notice is that lots of people said hsing-i. That's an art I've always wanted to study but never had the recources to... :p

origenx
10-07-2001, 04:15 PM
Here's a thought: Is it possible that kung fu was designed, geared and thus suited more for fighting multiple opponents - than just a single one? Obviously, if you have to worry about more than one opponent from various angles, you will have to diffuse your attention, open your postures more and basically not be able to direct everything in one consistent direction (instead become a multi-directional art)- as you would against a single opponent.

[This message was edited by origenx on 10-08-01 at 07:34 AM.]

toddbringewatt
10-07-2001, 04:18 PM
Origenx,

Hooray!!

WELL SAID!!!!!!! :)

"Bruce Leroy. That's who!"

origenx
10-07-2001, 05:10 PM
Bruce Leroy - ha ha that was one funny movie!

Tigerstyle
10-07-2001, 06:18 PM
I disagree with the statment about a 12 year-old beating a 20 year-old, even very skilled vs. little skill. If you meant a 12 year-old vs. a teenager then my opinion may be similar to yours, but I feel that the former statement could only happen in extreme cases. When I became an adult, my gain in strength was tremendous compared to when I was a teenager (could someone back me up on this, because I can only speak from personal experience and I don't have any scientific studies to cite off hand :) )

When I work (spar, etc.) with teenagers, I have never felt at a disadvantage against even the most skilled of them, because they honestly lacked the power that I could generate with my less skilled technique (and I wouldn't even consider myself all that strong). I have been caught by surprise a few times by speed and a flurry of attacks (I'm a sucker for fast combos :p ), but I've never been "on the ropes" as a result.

This question is as obvious as "Muay Thai vs. Kung Fu" ;)

Maybe some people here can report different experiences from mine, but I have yet to see "3 Ninjas" happen in real life.

shaolinboxer
10-07-2001, 06:34 PM
All of my instructors have been shorter than me and weighed either less or about the same.

I vote for all martial arts..to defeat advantages of size and strength is a basic concept that flows through all of them.

Is there any martial art that does not support this?

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat