PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Fighters

Chris99
03-31-2002, 11:45 PM
Hello All,

Are you satisfied with the results of your training? There is a new school in Cleveland, Ohio under the lineage of Leung Sheung that is looking to train dedicated individuals who desire realistic results of their training. This is not to say that we are thuggish in approach, simply realistic in our training methodology and our results therein. We have an open door policy for any who wish to stop by and "check us out". We welcome all seekers of truth.

Have a Great Day,
Chris

2435 Superior Ave.
Cleveland, Oh. 44108
www.wing-chun.nu

byond
04-02-2002, 03:24 PM
dear chris,
i think i met you when i visited your school....yes??we did a bit of chi sao and you were helping correct my form in terms of the leung sheung method???

red5angel
04-02-2002, 03:45 PM
Hey Chris, I am training in minneapolis under Michael and Howard! Carls/Kens/Leung Sheungs stuff is awesome! When he came for our seminar back in january it was the first time I met him and it was an incredible experience!

By the way Chris, Michael said when they were down there last they saw a demo with Someone who had been with Carl a few years. Anyway, he was doing some sort of punch deflection/absorption? Not sure how to describe it. Michael said it had to do with the Tai Chi Ball excersises we do. Do you know what I am talking about? Anyway, do you know if this is a result of doing those excersises or is it something extra you guys are doing?

I would kill to be in ohio training with you guys! Unfortunately my wife would kill me!!!

Chris99
04-02-2002, 10:28 PM
Hi Byond,

That was me. I am the little guy with the glasses. ;) I was hoping you would return so we could continue to work out. I enjoy training with intelligent people. Hope to see you soon.

You were the tall fellow right?

Take Care,
Chris

Chris99
04-02-2002, 10:40 PM
Hi Red5Angel,
I just returned from class...over 5 hours long for me tonight! I am a little tired at the moment. I should be fine in another hour...must do the first and second forms yet again before bed. Carl is a great teacher. I am very lucky to train with him as much as I do.

Michael is talking about Brian--who is Carl's best student. He and I are the only one's that have been able to do what you are speaking of so far. I wouldn't put it past Corey though. Brian and I only did what Carl told us to do and there it was. I think it is an unexpected side-effect of our training.

Keep doing the Ball and who knows what will develope in you. I must give props to my Sihing and Sifu...without them I wouldn't have stumbled across it.

I really can't explain it my friend. It is what it is.

Take Care,
Chris

PS. Tell Mike and Howard that I said hello.

Siu Tze
04-04-2002, 01:03 PM
Is your instructor teaching the use of Taiji Ball in Wing Chun?

This may be a first, so how does the Taiji ball enhance or follow the Wing Chun theories, like elbows in, etc?

red5angel
04-04-2002, 01:15 PM
Siu Tze - I have just begun training in Carls method last november, and what I am getting from the tai chi ball is this- We do it with one leg forward, one back and roll the ball over from the front leg to the back leg and back and forth. I believe this is to help feel our root and get used to moving around while trying to maintain it.

Siu Tze
04-04-2002, 04:36 PM
Red5Angel,

I have no doubt that the Taiji Ball can help in many things as it is a very useful tool in Taiji. However I have to question it's use in a WC "gwoon". Is it part of the curriculum? As I've said before, I think this is a first for WC and I'm pretty sure Yip Man, Leung Sheung & Ken (or is it Kenneth) Chung doesn't teach it, so where did it come from?

Origin aside, how close is it to WC? From your description you are then putting weight on your front foot. Is that an excepted part or your WC to allow 50/50 or more weighting to the front foot?

Some Taiji uses the elbow movement to lead the hand. In many cases this means the elbow would be sticking out according to WC.

I'm not asking to insult or to annoy, but I'd genuinely like to be clear. Who knows, it may be just the thing for my practice.

Chris99
04-04-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Siu Tze
Is your instructor teaching the use of Taiji Ball in Wing Chun?

This may be a first, so how does the Taiji ball enhance or follow the Wing Chun theories, like elbows in, etc?

My teacher was taught the Taiji Sphere from Grandmaster Chen Qingzhou while staying at his house in China. Chen Qingzhou also came to our school and instructed us on the finer points of the Taiji Sphere and several other aspects of Chen Taiji.

The Taiji Sphere will help one to connect with their Tan Tien--enhancing one's listening skills which are crucial to good Wing Chun development. It will also help one with their connection to the ground--which is another fundamental aspect of good Wing Chun.

Yes it may be a first...but our Taiji Sphere comes from a very established, reputable source. One of the best in the world actually.

The Taiji Sphere as taught to me doesn't compromise my structure in Wing Chun--in fact, my sensitivity to my structure is greatly enhanced.

Regards,
Chris Snyder

Roy D. Anthony
04-04-2002, 11:50 PM
My Sister looks more like a fighter than any of the guys in the Cleveland pictures. with the exception of Kenneth Cheung of course. LOL

Sorry I couldn't resist. Just Joking!!!

Chris99
04-04-2002, 11:59 PM
Hi Roy,

Especially myself! LOL...seriously though, looks can be very deceiving.

The last time I checked Yip Man didn't look like your prototypical fighter.

Regards,
Chris

Roy D. Anthony
04-05-2002, 12:05 AM
Actually Chris.....he did look like a fighter. remember the most common pictures we see are the ones when he started teacing in Hong Kong, after he retired from fighting. look at his earlier pictures, and you see a fighter just like Lam Sai Wing's pic. In fact they look the same age and almost the same build. Think about it!!!

Kuen
04-05-2002, 06:59 AM
Lam Sai Wing was a huge guy. He would've made two Yip Man's.

The website is cool and the school looks good. Do you guys ever do public seminars?

kungfu cowboy
04-05-2002, 07:32 AM
What about bat mitzvahs?:D

yuanfen
04-05-2002, 07:47 AM
only after the bot jam do

zerozero
04-08-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Roy D. Anthony
Actually Chris.....he did look like a fighter. remember the most common pictures we see are the ones when he started teacing in Hong Kong, after he retired from fighting. look at his earlier pictures, and you see a fighter just like Lam Sai Wing's pic. In fact they look the same age and almost the same build. Think about it!!!

Hello, can you reference me the earlier Yip Man pctures? I am interested and would like ot make the comparison with Lam Sai Wing.