PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver.

Mr Punch
04-01-2002, 04:33 AM
Hi all you Vancouverites. I'll be taking my first trip there April 29th-May 8th. I would love to meet/roll/visit the kwoons of/kick the asses (ahem:rolleyes: ) of any of you loverly people while I'm there. I'll only have limited time (girlfriend!) but if you're up for it let me know, here or by PM.

Spark
04-02-2002, 03:26 PM
Vancouver sucks.

Go to Toronto!! :D

CanadianBadAss
04-02-2002, 06:53 PM
I don't want you coming to my school.
It’s just that… after you come see and roll hands at the school I train at, you'll never be able to go back to your sifu, you’ll see the light, all that cool stuff he used to do will just seem so insignificant. And chances are you don’t live near any kwoons that teach the TST method of WC. You'll become disillusioned with life, all those years wasted. You'll kill yourself, and I'll have to go to sleep every night knowing that it was all my fault. I don't think I could live with that.

But incase you're some kind of self masochist here's the webpage
Ving Tsun (http://www.tstvingtsun.bc.ca)
There's a school in richmond and vacouver, come to the richmond one on a thursday or sunday and i'll probaly be there. Unless rugby is over, then I'm there pretty much every day.

S.Teebas
04-03-2002, 06:32 PM
TST's method is superior!:D :cool: :D :D :D :eek: :eek:

CanadianBadAss
04-03-2002, 07:13 PM
aka the real wing chun

S.Teebas
04-03-2002, 07:16 PM
...lol

(it's funny cause it's true!!!):cool: :cool:

straight blast
04-03-2002, 11:39 PM
TST...is that Tsui Seng Ting? I think that's how it's spelt?

Chris99
04-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Really?,

What makes TST Wing Chun superior?

Are you sure it is not Leung Sheung's WC that is the real thing, after all he was Yip Man's first disciple who lived with Yip for six years?

Chris

Siu Tze
04-04-2002, 03:48 PM
I don't mean to be poking fun at anyone, but if one claims lineage makes for superior WC then how does one work that formula?

Yip Man would certainly be the common key and no doubts that he is/was regarded the very best. TST was regarded as the 3rd student of Yip Man, shouldn't his WC be good? He did after all work out with Leung Sheung in the process. Are all decedents of Leung Sheung better then Lok Yiu and TST themselves!?

I have never meet Leung Sheung or Lok Yiu. I have meet TST though rather casually. However I have no doubts that Leung Sheung and Lok Yiu were VERY good at their art.

Personal bias: If lineage was the only factor, then amazing MA would remain amazing. I personally think that MA is only successfully passed down from good MAist who are also good teaches to a good student. The process has to repeat itself and there are simply too many factors. So for me the instructor makes the art.

"Are you close to the art?" And "how close are you to your Sifu?" Questions I ask myself.

S.Teebas
04-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Well this is why *I* believe his is the best:

From article: The Hidden Power of Siu Nim Tau
(...by TST)
My master Yip Man first started teaching Ving Tsun in Hong Kong at the Restaurant Worker's Union Association. At the time I was the secretary of the association, so Master Yip and I had many opportunities to be together. Before I became interested in Ving Tsun, I often overheard Master Yip explaining his Ving Tsun theories in his classes. Gradually he sparked my interest in the art. It so happened that I had great interest in physics and mechanics; I enjoyed his theories on body structure and power development methods very much. Through my careful analysis, I was convinced that Master Yip's art was flawless and very advanced. Finally, I decided to follow Master Yip and became his student........

This shows to me that TST analysed and it is very apparant he understands these theories to a very high degree. If you remember the story of how Leung Sheung was introduced to WC, it was when he tested yip man by puching him after yip man laughted at his sloppy kung fu. Leung sheung wanted to test that WC worked (main focus combat??)...TST also knows this but his interest layed in the technical aspects of WC and his knowledge reflects it. (and his ability to show his knowledge in practice)
Im not saying anything bad about Leung Sheung (i respect him), just that i see TST as having the most indepth knowlegde, and his power....well, just do some chi-sau with him if ur lucky enough to get the chance, you'll see! :D :D

Chris99
04-04-2002, 06:05 PM
From the accounts that I have heard Leung Sheung was introduced to Yip Man by a Mr. Lee who was an officer in the Restaurant Association (at Leung Sheung's request) back in 1949. He had heard of Yip and his high skill level and was interested in studying with Yip Man. Leung Sheung began his formal training in Martial Arts at the age of 14. He studied Choi Li Fut, White Eyebrow, and Dragon Style. He was teaching White Eyebrow at the time in the Restaurant Association's flat. He was far from unskilled and at roughly the age of 30 (at the time he met Yip Man) he had trained for many and had an understanding for what was good martial arts. He promptly turned over his class to Yip Man and became a student again.

It is said that he introduced Lok Yiu and Tsui Sheung Tin to Yip Man.

What makes you think that TST would better understand and grasp the technical aspects of Wing Chun over Leung Sheung. He was admittedly less experienced than Leung Sheung in martial arts. How would this lack of experience better enable him to understand Wing Chun better than Leung Sheung--who also lived with Yip Man from 1949-1955, which granted him easy access to Yip Man and his knowledge. He was already a teacher by the time he met Yip Man so his ability to conceptually understand and demonstrate the aspects of an art was already proven.

I have never heard anyone that ever touched Leung Sheung's hands say that he did not possess the ability to demonstrate high level Wing Chun. I have even heard that Wong Shun Leung expressed saddness for having lost him at what he felt was an early age, and always felt that much of the political "nonsense" that exists in Wing Chun circles today might have been avoided had he been around longer, as he was universally recognized and respected as the "leader of the WC clan" after GM Yip's passing. Wong Shun Leung felt that many of the claims by so-called "masters/grandmasters" in recent years would never had eventuated had Leung Sheung been there to oversee the growth of the art.

This was relayed by a direct student of Wong Shun Leung. It is easy for people to say this or that about Leung Sheung when he isn't here.

Chris Snyder

S.Teebas
04-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Yeah, well like i said, this isnt a personal attack on Leung Sheung or his skill. (i know he could nail me anyday of the week).

This is just my opinion on what i have seen.

Chris99
04-04-2002, 10:57 PM
Hi S.Teebas,

So what makes you think that TST would have been better qualified to understand Wing Chun than Leung Sheung? Is it because of an analysis in a paper?

Who said that Leung Sheung demonstrated sloppy kung fu?

How old was TST in 1949 when the first meeting between Leung Sheung took place? TST didn't start studying Wing Chun until 1951. Did it take him two years to figure out that Yip Man was skilled enough for him to be his teacher?

Have you ever met, seen, or touched any of Leung Sheung's students?

Regards,
Chris Snyder