PDA

View Full Version : Best Ba Gua and Hsing-I Videos???

Tao
04-01-2002, 12:43 PM
To All,

What are the best Ba Gua and Hsing-I instructional videos you've ever seen?

Was it by:

Xi Pei Qi ?
Dr. Su Yu-Chang ?
Adam Hsu ?
George Xu ?
Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming & Master Liang, Shou-Yu ?
Park Bok Nam ?
Huang Chien-Liang ?
John Painter ?
Gerald Sharpe ?
who ?

Please Note:

In no way, can video instruction replace teacher to student (Live, one-on-one) instruction. However, once you have a solid foundation one can learn much from a good or bad video. In a good a video (application-wise), one can learn other ways a technique can be applied. For every individual or system has its own form of expression. Once I saw a video with Kenny Gong (R.I.P.) performing Hsing-I. I never saw Hsing-I expressed that way before. This led me to meeting the man personally. I found out the reason why his Hsing-I looked like that was because his forte was mostly Pa Kua (although he was known by most for his Hsing-I). Most of all because he knew how to manifest different types of Geng in his form - until his form became no form. This changed the way I thought Hsing-I or Pa Kua could be expressed significantly. They say if one wants to truly learn a system - always have the way your teacher expresses the system in your minds eye.

Looking forward to hearing your replies.

Leimeng
04-01-2002, 11:35 PM
~For Bagua tapes I think that Dr Xie's stand hand and foot over any of the others out there. However, unless a person has good fundamentals of Internal movement before using those tapes they will not really get the full flavour and effect of the information from using the tapes alone.
~For external based arts, I reccomend the tapes put out by Green Dragon. Especially the fundamentals series (these I also recommend to internal practicioners).
~A good use of video tapes is for personal review. Tape yourself doing the changes/form/elements. Watch it and make notes of what needs to be changed and work on those things for for the next few weeks. Tape yourself again and repeat. Make sure you get imput from a competent instructor.

Peace,

Sin Loi

yi beng, kan xue

Tao
04-02-2002, 12:24 AM
Leimeng,

Thanks for your reply. I have never seen Xi Pei Qi perform but my intuition about him was correct. This is the reason why he was the first on my list. I'll make sure to check it out. Thanks for your input.

Peace