PDA

View Full Version : Breathing in SLT

IronFist
04-01-2002, 01:56 PM
Yo, it's time for IronFist's daily newbie question:

Today's question: How do you stipulate your breathing in the first (slow) part of SLT? In taiji and other internal stuff, it's usually breath out as you extend your arm/hand and breath in as you withdraw your arm/hand. Now, if you're doing SLT at a reasonable speed this is feasible. If you're doing it really slow, like how a lot of the people here say they do it (the "I spend 15-30 minutes on just the first part" people), there is no way you can breathe in and out that slowly.

So, does breathing even matter, or am I just over analyzing this part? If it does matter, how do you do it?

Thanks,

IronFist

Sharky
04-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Just be comforatable. Breathe in thru the nose and out thru the mouth. There is no arm out/breath in business - unless we are talking about the 2nd section or the punches in which case you breathe out as you focus towards the end of the movement.

Sharky
04-01-2002, 02:18 PM
I have to say i prefer to breathe totally through the nose. I don't like to train to have my mouth open during a fight, broken jaw etc.

My preference.

yuanfen
04-01-2002, 05:27 PM
Just breathe naturally as though you are going for a walk.
Pay no special attention to the breath at first-it will adjust to the task at hand in slt.

straight blast
04-01-2002, 07:02 PM
I find breathing when practising SLT to be very beneficial! :D

But seriously...

I use it to kind of "time" the length of my slow section of SLT; the bit that starts with a slow tan sao after the punches. I usually take four breaths (nice deep breaths, but not exaggeratedly so) to extend, and then four back.

Works for me!

Sharky...I'd watch that breathing totally through the nose thing in boxing. One good (or for that matter half assed) jab will turn it into a completely useless breathing apparatus. And as a boxer I'm sure you know how easy it is to cop one on the nose! In Muay Thai they taught us to breathe through the mouth with the tongue pressed down hard (impossible to bite it that way) and the teeth together (not clenched too hard). It is easier to do with a mouthguard, but unless you've got a huge overbite or something it's a pretty good way to stop your jaw sliding around and getting broken.

Give it a try and let us know how you go.

Sharky
04-01-2002, 09:13 PM
Thanks i'll try that mate.

Chris99
04-01-2002, 09:54 PM
Hello Ironfist,

Allow your breathing to be natural. Pay attention instead internally to your structure and your connection to the ground. Your breathing will regulate itself as others have already stated.

Take Care,
Chris

edward
04-02-2002, 01:39 PM
wing chun is natural... so is breathing... breath natural...... in a real fight can you actually concentrate on when to breathe in and out.... of course not.... just breath natural

Sharky
04-02-2002, 02:05 PM
wing chun is natural?

how'd you figure that out? it is not natural to stand in YJKYM or to punch down the centreline. Is it?

If wing chun was natural, surely there'd be nothing to learn? :)

edward
04-02-2002, 03:06 PM
if you understand how the centerline punch is structurally designed yes its natural....ygkym is development stance, but even the break down of how its done has the natural concept foudn within it

keep practicing